G# whistle

G# whistle

Hello everybody!

Do you have any suggestions about a G# Alto whistle , tunable or not, besides MK?
Thanks in advance.

Re: G# whistle

Roy McManus might make you one. But I think he only does Ab if that’d be any good instead 🙂

http://www.roymcmanus.co.uk/

I have a Low-A from him which is as sweet (and strong) as you’ll ever see - an Indian Ebony Big Bore whistle with mouthpiece made of African Blackwood. Beast of a whistle - and spot on tuning.

Gary Humphrey ( http://web.blomand.net/~ghumphrey/ ) makes a G# whistle. I’ve got one, and while it’s a wee bit porky at the top of the second octave, it’s fun to play and has a nice chiffy sound.

I don’t have any more recent recordings, but the first day I had mine I recorded a long set of tunes on it. In one take, so there are some flubs, but I think it does an okay job capturing the sound of the whistle. https://soundcloud.com/solomon-foster-1/the-flowing-tide-two-weeks-to-wait-the-doubin-reel-meech-lake-breakdown

As was hinted at above, Ab (A flat) is the same note as G#.

In "normal" musical terms it’s Ab which is the usual name for an instrument in that key.

I didn’t know MK made an Ab/G#.

I think Ab whistles are uncommon because you don’t need an Ab whistle to play in the key of Ab.

An ordinary Eb whistle plays in the key of Ab/G# if you use the "three finger note" as your tonic (like playing in the key of G on a D whistle).

(Eb Major is three flats, but using the "C natural" fingering gives you the four flats of Ab Major.)

But you would want an Ab whistle to play in five flats (using the "C natural" fingering) which is Db Major, the same key as C# Major.

I specifically went after the Ab whistle (but Gary H calls it G# too, dunno why) because I wanted a whistle which was well-suited for accompanying a local singer who loved the key of Db. Then he went and unexpectedly died before I ever got a chance to use it for that purpose. Still, it’s a fun whistle — the highest whistle I have which has that "cosmic drainpipe" aluminum low whistle sound to it.

My recommendation - don’t. Just kidding. It’s one of the only keys I don’t have other than the Freeman tweeter generation G that I tried to make into an Ab. I bungled the job. It wasn’t a good whistle anyway.

There are several makers that will make them in any key you want: Goldie, Burke and I’m sure there are others. I think most of the makers will make it for you if you ask. Just pick your favorite.
Ab and G# are enharmonic spelling of the same note of course. My guitar player friends (rock, pop, blues) will tend to say G# and classical/legit/jazz players will say Ab. If you think in terms of key signature, AbM has four flats and G#M has 6#s and one double sharp. You won’t care what it’s called until you need to tell the guitar player what key you’re playing in.

Thank you for you suggestions!
So, do you happen to know which whistle is less "windy" and doesn’t require too much air in that key region (Alto G, A)?

I think the Burke’s are like that but I only played them one time at a festival. Probably the Susato and Carbony as well. I play a Goldie with “hard” resistance and it’s pretty phenomenal. His soft blowing Ab may work well in that regard but I’ve never played his soft whistles. The hard blowing ones have a really nice focused sound but you really have to learn to push into them the right way.

Well, the thing is that i’m playing a special kind of music that requires mostly the upper octave. That’s why i’d prefer ease of play! Thanks though! ;)

I’ve been pleased with my Burke Ab…

If you need to play in a high range in the key of Ab why not use an ordinary Eb whistle?

I’d rather play in the wheelhouse of an Eb whistle than blasting out at the top of the range on an Ab whistle, to produce the same notes.

I have C# (I play C# and G# key), Bracker whistles are really soft, high octave not too laught and need no too much wind to play , really nice to play with singers in back