Opera (not the reel)

Opera (not the reel)

Does anyone know of any operas that incorporate Irish or Scottish traditional tunes and/or traditional instruments? I’m familiar with orchestral works that do, and even some oratorios, but I’m not coming up with any operas. (Maybe there’s a good reason …)

Re: Opera (not the reel)

The oldest possibility would be ‘Oscar and Malvina’. Described as a Dramma Serio Per Musica. The Italian edition reprint is available here: https://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Malvina-Classic-Reprint-Italian/dp/1396211403

You will often encounter a jig or two-step march called ‘Leslie’s March’ at my local. Also known as ‘Blue bonnets o’er the Border’. This is a march featured in this Edwardian musical entertainment.

Not opera, but ballet! I remember a production of The Nutcracker Suite that I saw at Christmas time on TV. They had daringly substituted one of Tchaikovsky’s tunes for "The Steamboat" jig and danced a whole scene to that!

The Beggar’s Opera by John Gay, written 1728. Lots of traditional tunes. Also The Gentle Shepherd by Allan Ramsay, 1725