Name that jig

Name that jig

This one’s been driving me crazy. It comes into my head once in a while and I don’t know what it is. It’s been doing this for years. There’s a chance I wrote it, but I don’t think so. Help me out if you can.
Key of G:
e|dBGGAB|AFDDEF|G2GBAG|FAAA2e|
dBGGAB|AFDDEF|GABcAF|G3G3:|

That’s all I’ve got. Don’t know the B part.

Re: Name that jig

This one has a similar structure:
https://thesession.org/tunes/8834

The unknown tune, transposed up to A major:
K: Amaj
f|: ecA ABc|BGE EFG|A2A cBA|GBB B2f|
ecA ABc|BGE EFG|ABc dBG| A3 A2f :|

That’s a close match Nfldwhistler, although not quite it. I’m beginning to think this jig is just one I composed without knowing I was doing it. I have a habit of doing that, tunes just waltz through my mind and I don’t know if it’s an original idea or something my subconscious coughed up. I’m still hoping someone will come along and tell me the name of this tune.

The melodic structure and rhythm are reminiscent of Planxty Browne. You may find it if you search amongst the other compositions of O’Carolan and his harpist contemporaries.

I don’t think it’s an O’Carolan tune, although I see the resemblance to Planxty Browne (which in Scotland is said to be a Nathaniel Gow tune). I will take a look just in case.

If you have no luck, perhaps you could compose a B Part. Your A Part sounds nice!

That is a neat tune Nigel, similar but not quite it.

Nfldwhistler, if I don’t get a correct response within a few days I will decide that it is something I wrote subconsciously and write a B part. If that’s the case I’ll put it in the comments.

I just perused the "O’Carolan’s Compositions" section of O’Neill’s and didn’t find this tune, so unless it is one of the few that aren’t in that book it’s not an O’Carolan tune. Maybe if I searched the jig section from front to back I’d find it, but who has the time?

I’ve decided that this must be my original composition, since no one seems to know of it. In light of that, here’s a B part I just wrote to round off the tune:

K:G

f|g2eege|bgee2f|g2eege|afdd2f|
gdefed|eged2B|ADFDEF|G3G2:|

I’d love some feedback on it.

Good tune, thanks!

Here’s a few minor adjustments I came up with:
- Looped the 7th bar back into the pattern from the A Part (AFD DEF)
- Held the g-note in the 5th bar, and
- Made the d-note in the 6th bar into an a-note

Not quite sure what to do with the following note in that 6th bar, B & c work alright.

X: 1
T: TBD
C: Lonnie the Harper
R: jig
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
K: Gmaj
Q: 1/4 = 135
e|:dBG GAB|AFD DEF|G2G BAG|FAA A2e|
dBG GAB|AFD DEF|GAB cAF|1 G3 G2e :|2 G3 G2f ||
|:g2e ege|bge e2f|g2e ege|afd d2f|
g2e fed|ege a2c|AFD DEF|1 G3 G2f :|2 G3 G2e ||

Any ideas for a name?

Glad you like the tune Nfldwhistler! Those are nice subtle adjustments you made.

Naming tunes is not my strong suit. Maybe I’ll just go the lazy route with this one and call it Lonnie Baker’s Jig. Feel free to play it out and about!

You’re welcome! Will give it a go.