Using TablEdit to convert ABC to standard notation

Using TablEdit to convert ABC to standard notation

I’ve been using TablEdit to convert the ABC arrangements on this site to standard (TablEdit) notation for several years now. Without going into specifics, it’s always been a matter of copying the ABC, importing/pasting it into the TablEdit program, and activating the conversion in the "display" icon option with a simple click of the mouse. Recently I upgraded the program and this process is no longer available. According to the manual, conversion is still an option but I can’t for the life of me figure out how it’s done and the manual isn’t very clear. Any TablEdit users out there? Help!

Re: Using TablEdit to convert ABC to standard notation

I don’t know TablEdit but I know software upgrades can set you back. If this helps it’s an old thread about opening an .abc file (rather than pasting a text file) and then converting to tab. I have not checked it out but it might be a lead. Good luck, Bill!
~
https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/91401-ABC-Notation?p=1117704&viewfull=1#post1117704

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/91401-ABC-Notation?p=1117921&viewfull=1#post1117921

Posted by .

I mostly use Tunebook for ipad. Cost £2.99 and it’s brilliant. On PC, I find abcExplorer best and it’s free. Both will play tunes from abc back and produce PdFs of staff notation.

Bill, you are asking about using abcs to generate guitar tab, aren’t you? mandolintab.net does produce tab for 4 course string instruments but not guitar.

Posted by .

If it’s the desktop version, create a new document, File->Import->Import ABC, Select the ABC file you want to import, Select the tune you want to convert from that file, Click Import.

On an iPad/iPhone, Put the ABC file in your Dropbox (or other online storage account), Find the file using Dropbox (or whatever) App, click the "square with up arrow" icon and select Export To, the select TablEdit. This will now put a folder of all the ABC tunes in that file into TablEdit. Click the folder in TablEdit and open any tune in the ABC file.

Did this help or did I make things murkier?

Pete

If you’re thinking about just pasting mando or fiddle abc to get PDFs then mandolintab.net is pretty good (because the tab is large).
For guitar and LOADS of other instruments though, musescore.com is the way to go. There you can adjust Tab fonts and sizes, transcribe from one instrument to another.
Of course finding a guitarist would be better, because there are many ways to play the same tune.
Good luck.

braccio’s method is exactly how I do it. Works fine.

You can also copy the text of the abc file, create a new doc in TablEdit, and then -> View -> ABC-ASCII Edit -> and click on the second icon of the dialog box.

Or

Ctrl+c on the text of your abc file -> open TablEdit -> Ctrl+N -> Ctrl+shift+F2 -> click on the second icon of the dialog box.

Posted by .