A bit of Nostalgia - a Sunday Session in South Shields 1975-76

A bit of Nostalgia - a Sunday Session in South Shields 1975-76

I have a very clear memory of the first Irish session that I went to, as a listener. It was in 1975-76 in South Shields on a Sunday afternoon. It was in a pub that, oddly, stood quite alone, but the terrace houses all around had obviously been demolished.

It was led by a fiddler(?) called Jim (?). there was a small raised stage or performance area, as I recall and guests performers were invited to play. I recall John Doonan who was known for his LP Flute for the Feis, Joe Burke visiting from Ireland and Liam Farell on banjo, up from London. I think this is where I met the publishing duo, Dave Bulmer and Neil Sharpley. Their tune books were starting to appear and proved to be about the most useful ones to have.

This may have been where I heard Sean McGuire and Josephine Keegan, I cannot be sure.
It’s all a bit hazy 43 years later. Does anyone else have any memories of this session? How long did it last? What was the pub called?

Re: A bit of Nostalgia - a Sunday Session in South Shields 1975-76

"… a pub that, oddly, stood quite alone, but the terrace houses all around had obviously been demolished".

Can’t offer any info about the session in question, but my nostalgia button was pressed by this observation. I was remined of the early ’70s in Liverpool when large areas of the city had been flattened for redevelopment, save that some of the old street-corner pubs were still standing. I was told (how accurately, I can’t say) that they remained because their licences were still valid, and that people formerly living in the immediate area - who had been ‘decanted’ to new estates like West Kirby and Cantril Farm - would come back to drink in their old haunts.

Posted by .

The Turks Head. Great sessions.

"I think this is where I met the publishing duo, Dave Bulmer and Neil Sharpley. Their tune books were starting to appear and proved to be about the most useful ones to have".

Now *that* could start another discussion…. :) :)

Fiddler was Jimmy Irvine.