Paddy Fahey’s compositions

Paddy Fahey’s compositions

Since Paddy Fahey passed on recently, I thought it might be a good idea to start a list of his compositions. Post a link to your favorite Paddy Fahey tune here on the session. Hopefully this will serve as a resource for people searching for his best tunes in the future.

Re: Paddy Fahey’s compositions

I’ve done the list already (!!!).
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s
Paddy Fahy’s

I have an index (thesession tune page numbers and Holohan’s numbers) and the Holohan dissertation transcripts work well for this. I find her transcriptions difficult to read. The ABC book (Hollohan) is a little easier. I like learning his tunes from the various recorded versions.
As far as my list - I decline. I’d like to learn a few more before I choose my favorites.

Yhall, what about Paddy Fahy’s and Paddy Fahy’s.

"… Holohan dissertation transcripts … I find her transcriptions difficult to read."

I have just been browsing through these. A number of the tunes seem to be missing some barlines - I assume this is due to a printing error and not a deliberate choice on the part of the transcriber. I also notice several bars that contain either more or less than the full complement of beats for the time signature; it is possible that these accurately reflect idiosyncrasies in Fahy’s playing, but the fact that there are no annotations nor changes in time signature (which would be in proper accordance with notational convention) makes these too look like errors. I am nonetheless very grateful to Maria Holohan for her valuable work.

Fahey or Fahy?

It might be best to take the Sir Walter Scott approach: Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!

Perhaps there should just be a binary value derived from the notes and time values of the first two bars or something. Then you could have exactly as useless and perplexing system as any currently being used.

Personally, I favor Yhaal House’s list. Perhaps expressed in powers of two. Paddy Fahey^4 or whatever.

It’s all in good fun for absolutely excellent music from one of the most revered musicians.

My one criticism of Yhaal House’s list is that he has jigs and hornpipes mixed in among the reels. It would have been better to list them by tune type.

Oh dear, my post has become the butt of a joke.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. The point was to post a link to your favorite Paddy Fahey tunes here on the session. I’m aware that all of his tunes were simply named after him, making a list like Yhaal’s utterly meaningless. I’m just curious which of his tunes you like.

I do appreciate the links, both to discussions on this page and to other pages; the Mariah Holihan site looks like a great resource.

Yhaal House - you missed out 3 of them.

I thought you were an authority on these matters?

"Fahey or Fahy?"

Fahey

I apologize if you already way ahead of me on this. This document from Maria Holohan has numbers for the various reels, jigs, and hornpipes. My wife and I have been able to use the numbers for the tunes we’re learning to stay in sync. Absent any better system for distinguishing between the various Paddy Fahey tunes, wouldn’t this be the most useful classification? For example, we’re pretty sure that the two Paddy Fahey jigs on the Kane Sisters CD ‘The Well Tempered Bow’ (track 9) are the jigs numbered 5 and 10 in the Holohan document:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o7UwNy79xCunpAzUSh7L-p82JV-uMzII

Posted by .