Youtube Copyright Claims on Trad Tunes

Youtube Copyright Claims on Trad Tunes

I noticed today that there are "copyright claims" on four of the videos I’ve posted on Youtube, e.g. this one of the well known traditional tune "The Connaughtman’s Rambles":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zukoxwK9Egk

This means that someone else is collecting money for that video of a traditional tune!
Not that they’ll be making much money from a video with 48 views 🙂 , but it’s a matter of principle!
So I disputed the claims for the tunes:
Kesh Jig, Connaughtman’s Rambles, O’Gallagher’s Frolics, Banish Misfortune.
With references to where and when they were first printed.

So if you have a Youtube channel, do check that there are no fraudulent copyright claims on your trad tunes.
Read more here about how to find out and how to dispute claims: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6013276?hl=en

This kind of copyright claim is called "Content ID" claim by Youtube.

Re: Youtube Copyright Claims on Trad Tunes

Whatever you post on YouTube becomes their property. That is the price you pay for using their platform (see the user agreement). Same goes for Facebook etc. If you blow up, they will revenue-share with you.

If YouTube wants to do something that is financially remunerative with a copyrighted tune, they have to take it up with the owner of the copyright. The tunes you hnorbeck mentioned don’t have copyright as nearly as I can tell.

Update:
I just got an e-mail saying that Music Services, Inc. (Publishing) retracted their copyright claim to "The Kesh Jig". Well, that was quick! So just three more trad tunes to have copyright claims retracted…

Music Services Inc. may have a legitimate copyright claim to a certain recording or arrangement, version, performance, etc., of the Kesh.
Your video probably just got caught up in an algorithm.

Glad it got resolved so quickly.

I’ve seen this happen before. Anyhow, the way copyright law works, at least in the USA, is the company cannot claim ownership over trad tunes, cause it is really easy to show that the tunes existed well before whatever date the copyright date the company has in place. So yes, all those copyright claims by publishing companies on your trad tune uploads are bogus. It’s really disappointing that these companies are trying to poach our tunes. This is why it’s important to upload videos with tunes that nobody knows the name of. That way, the snakes in the publishing companies don’t even know the name of the tune to claim copyright over.

Stop posting on YouTube, please! There needs to be more respectful ways to get your music online than the usual, dominant defaults as we are all too easily accepting them. Their self-regulation is not.
Ben

Posted by .

"Stop posting on YouTube, please! "

What is your suggested alternative?

I know, YouTube is the default goto. But it’s not the only place to upload or listen to music. I don’t upload music. I always check out the alternative sources for listening. Mainly I go to Soundcloud, Vimeo and various podcasts.

Posted by .