New Unpublished Fiddle Playing by Michael Coleman from John J. Burns Library’s Joe Lamont Irish Music Recordings

New Unpublished Fiddle Playing by Michael Coleman from John J. Burns Library’s Joe Lamont Irish Music Recordings

“During a review of recently-digitized audio in John J. Burns Library’s Joe Lamont Irish Music Recordings, we asked our friend and former BC colleague Séamus Connolly to listen to a fiddle segment on tape reel #6 that Joe Lamont’s tracklist identifies as Michael Coleman performing the tune “Collier’s.”

Michael Coleman (1891-1945) was one of the 20th century’s best-known performers of Irish traditional instrumental music. Connolly, an All-Ireland fiddle champion who cites Coleman as a major influence, was delighted to hear this version of “Collier’s.” Since Coleman’s rendition of this dance tune is not found in published discographies or compilations, it seems likely that Lamont had dubbed Coleman’s playing of “Collier’s” from an unpublished—possibly homemade—78-rpm disc. It is preceded by another reel, “Ownie Davis’.”

We invite you to listen to the set of reels here. Example #1 below is the original version digitized from open-reel tape. In example #2, the digitized version has been adjusted to a slightly slower pitch and speed.“

A link to the web-page can be found here:
https://johnjburnslibrary.wordpress.com/2019/06/10/digitized-irish-music-michael-coleman/

Re: New Unpublished Fiddle Playing by Michael Coleman from John J. Burns Library’s Joe Lamont Irish Music Recordings

Besides Coleman’s ten radio broadcasts (on a glass transcription disk), four solo aluminum acetates for a private collector, and home recordings with James “Lad” O’Bernie, this is news for me. Has anyone else ever heard this recording before? Coleman’s playing only seems to have slight characteristics of his failing health. Perhaps this was recorded between the years 1937 to 1944? Anyways, this is a tape dubbing of the original recording. I wonder if anyone owns Coleman’s home recordings. I would love to get my hands on them.