Set Building - Strathspey to Hornpipe?

Set Building - Strathspey to Hornpipe?

I’m putting together a set and I want to get from a slow strathspey (Miss Hutton’s) to a reel (haven’t decided yet) but I need another song in between. Instead of a faster strathspey, could a hornpipe follow the first (I’m thinking of the Hiawatha hornpipe)?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Set Building - Strathspey to Hornpipe?

Yup.

Depends on how you feel about others listening to it, I guess. Personally, I’m so used to the Scottish/Cape Breton tradition of march, strathspey, reel, reel, reel that it would feel like a weird transition. Then again, I don’t know the Haiwatha so take that with a grain of salt.

There is something so great about the transition of rhythm from strathspey to reel that I wouldn’t want to mess with it. But that’s just me. your mileage may vary.

It’s not terribly unusual in Cape Breton to go from a strathspey into a hornpipe.

It’s not unusual at all, is it? I really don’t know enough about Cape Breton music. But I do know the sets are not always as standarised as outsiders (& some pipers) might think they are.
Emmy Lou, I don’t think I’ve heard the Hiawatha Clog(?) It’s listed on 3 albums in the database but the dots aren’t here. I did go off site and listened to each of the 3 fiddlers play the tune. Seán McGuire calls it the Rialto. Also listened to Jerry Holland play Miss Hutton’s ~ Brilliant! Looking forward to hearing your set.
Ben

Posted by .

I’m always amazed when ppl are organised enough to plan sets. I just end up playing whatever comes out.

Of course, in Cape Breton, hornpipes are played as reels, more often than not - but again, not a hard and fast rule.

Do you want your old lobby washed down, is a nice song.

I’m kinda assuming Emmy that the question refers to building performance sets. There I’d say absolutely. Changing up from one tune type to another, changing tempo, changing the lift is a great way to keep it fresh and interesting. Sessions are a different animal, the predictability of playing one jig/reel, whatever, after another is much more welcome. Even then my preference is to avoid "inbred" sets, rather keep the set fresh by mixing up the tunes. Around here though we still tend to play the same, unvarying sets and it’s really kinda boring after a while.

I love the Hiawatha hornpipe. Choosing tunes for sets is mostly a matter of taste. Keep trying various combinations!
However, ive found a concurrent tempo change and key change— as would be the case with Hutton (Gm) / Hiawath (b flat)— can interrupt the flow. So many fine g minor strathspeys (ewie w the crooked horn?) might be lovely. Save hiawatha for another inspiration. Imho.

I’ve always gotten a kick out of Johnny and Phil Cunningham’s use of a short stretch of a totally modern pop song being used as a break between various songs to help transition between one type and the next. Brilliant way of going about it.