EasyABC - abc to pdf

EasyABC - abc to pdf

I’m having some trouble getting EasyABC to generate PDF’s. I have EasyABC 1.3.5, and the latest Ghostscript, 9.27. Tried the solution here with no luck:
https://thesession.org/discussions/43567

Can someone help?

Re: EasyABC - abc to pdf

Don’t know. Is your ghostscript.exe 32 bit or 64? There’s a ticket on Source Forge which says EasyABC 1.3.5 uses 32 bit ghostscript; not 64 bit.
Ben

Posted by .

Ah, that might be it. Using 64 bit. Fairly sure that means I cannot use 32 bit?

I’m not sure what the problem is. However the version of EasyAbc you are using (1.3.5) did have an issue finding the ghostscript; if it is 64 bit. Apparently it’s better if you’re running 32 bit. But either way it depends on what your operating system uses.
Were you able to export to PDF before?

Posted by .

Thanks gbyrne, I’ll keep that in mind.

Sometimes it is possible to install and use 32bits applications over 64bits operation systems. So I suggest to try to install the 32bits version of ghostscript and try easyabc - abc to pdf with it.

Will give that a try, thanks lahu.

Hello, NfldWhistler. Sorry for not posting sooner. Yes, that should work. Keep us posted.

gbyrne, appreciate the heads up regarding SourceForge. It’s best to be careful allowing downloads on any site. For EasyABC I use the individual folders which are being maintained by Seymour Shlien. I will contact him
& see if he has any input about downloading recent versions from SourceForge. Looks like 80 downloads a day. Guido Gonzato’s page links to SourceForge. etc & so on…

As for using Nils page, it has v. 1.3.5 which is good as long as users know how to work out the problems.
Like this one.

Finally I’ll look around for what the risk is of picking up malware from SourceForge. That would not be good. :( Best to stick to individual zip folders and know something about the developer. The adware is definitely infiltrating parts of SourceForge.
Cheers,
Ben

Posted by .

No worries Ben!

Ghostscript 32 bit didn’t do the trick.

Too bad. Back to the drawing board.
So, in the file settings you have the ghostscript executable box pointing to the 32 bit file?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c59yllsc57aixs0/3%20Ghostscript%20executable.jpg?dl=0

OK. version 1.3.5 does not have an executable setting for ghostscript. I’ll have to see where it’s looking for ghostscript (which path). Do you still have the 64 bit ghostscript file? It would be in a folder in Program Files. Folder name is gs.

Posted by .

Yup, I’ve tried it as your screenshoot has it. It actually makes it worse, when I specify the paths EasyABC stops showing the sheet music from my abcs (and pdfs don’t generate either, like before).

Don’t do that. The abc executables will go to default. So you should leave them blank.
The screen shot was to show my ghostscript setting. Your version does not have that option.
So ignore my screenshot when you are using EasyABC v. 1.3.5
It won’t help.

Posted by .

Gotcha. Using the default allows sheet music to show up from the abc’s, but not generate pdfs. Setting the path for just the Ghostscript (rather than all of the others for EasyABC) yields the same result as setting any of the paths.

OK. You have the 1.3.5 P9? Is the ghostscript executable path pointing to gswin32c.exe ?

Posted by .

EasyABC 1.3.5, and it was pointing to gswin32c.exe (had also tried gswin32.exe).

I have it pointing to defaults now (all of the paths in your screenshot as empty), and it just worked. Can export PDFs now. Thank you Ben and lahu!

I’m guessing installing Ghostscript 32 bit was enough, without pointing the path to it. Not sure why it didn’t work earlier today after first installing it, not that it matters now.

Good to hear your PDFs are working, NfldWhistler.

Posted by .

If you’re desperate, email the ABC file to me at rkhambridge@googlemail.com - I have an old Apple Mac G4; my ABC editor can generate the sheet music and my Mac can Print to PDF!

Thanks for the offer! We’ve got it working now.

Re: EasyABC - abc to pdf (follow up on Sourceforge files)

Since there was a concern on this thread about using EasyAbc revisions from Seymour Shlien’s Sourceforge account I posted a question on Yahoo Group’s abcusers & Bleeping Computers’ Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software Forum.
For anyone interested here are the links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/abcusers/conversations/topics/16657
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/700301/downloading-files-from-sourceforge/#entry4820783

Posted by .