Riverdance, The Final Performance, name of tune.

Re: Riverdance, The Final Performance, name of tune.

Given Michael Flatley is in this vid it has to be one of the following shows:

1994 Riverdance - The Show with Jean Butler
1996 Lord of the Dance
1998 Feet of Flames
1999 Feet of Flames - Budapest
2005 Celtic Tiger
2010 Lord of the dance - Germany, Ireland, Engeland , Netherlands (Return of the Lord of the dance)

I don’t know which tune it is but check here:

https://thesession.org/recordings/59
https://thesession.org/recordings/5958
https://thesession.org/recordings/2594

Also take a look at their recordings as they should list the tracks somewhere and just go through the tracks via youtube and the likes till you find it.

1996 Lord of the Dance
1998 Feet of Flames
2005 Celtic Tiger

Ok, Thank you Dutchie! I have checked the ones from The Session page but i couldn’t find it. I’ll check it on their recordings. Thank you again for your kindness!! Regards!

Btw… Riverdance/Lord of the Dance is not really trad music as its basically composed by Billy Whelan just for the shows. Does not mean you will not find the scores for some tunes on this site tho ;)

Inspired by Riverdance, I entered into the realm of ITM by learning "Siamsa" as my first tune along with a few others. Then I made the mistake of playing it at a session - just once.
;^)

"Then I made the mistake of playing it at a session"
Callison, why was that a mistake?

Maybe something like playing the hit songs from ‘Oklahoma’ at a hardcore bluegrass festival?

@Christy that’s a pretty accurate comparison actually.

So, are we equating a session with a "hardcore bluegrass festival" where nothing can be tolerated other than music which conforms to the purist notion of the genre? Surely the only criterion is that the tunes are enjoyable - regardless of their provenance.

Muircheartaigh, I think the question about…’nothing can be tolerated other than music which conforms to the purist notion…’ totally misses what happens in sessions. Especially in regards to what callison & Christy are talking about.

Posted by .

Of course, AB, the attitudes in sessions, at least the ones I am familiar with, are never those of the purity police dictating what may or may not be played. Which is why I asked Callison why he thought it a mistake to play Siamsa at a session. Did the others there tell him he shouldn’t be playing that sort of stuff? Or did they laugh? Or give him the cold shoulder? Or what?

@Muircheartaigh - Nobody else knew it and deafening silence is embarrassing.

I’ve never heard a Riverdance tune at any session I’ve been to since but that may be because there is so much ITM material to learn and play that the more extraneous stuff like Riverdance melodies don’t make any headway.

The only Bill Whelan tune I’ve played at a session is the jig Caracena (from The Seville Suite, a few years before Riverdance). It was during Willie Week. I was the only one who joined the piper who started it. :-)

By the way, the tune in the clip is from an early Riverdance show (Jean Butler is there, and it’s definitely Máirtín O’Connor on the accordion). This number has a lot of parts, including the Em reel during the first minute. I don’t have a name for that one either. Whether the track should be considered one long tune with very different parts, or a set of tunes, only Bill Whelan can answer (or someone who has the Riverdance songbook).

‘Nobody else knew it and deafening silence is embarrassing.’
That’s always the problem when you’re starting a tune. If no one else knows it, you’re committed to a solo - for which you need confidence and ability. (Which is why many people will never start a tune unless they’re certain others will join in) But if you’ve done it well, the response should be: "That’s a grand tune. What’s it called?’ or something similar. Not silence.

And how is a session to learn new tunes unless someone does go out on a limb to play something unfamiliar? You don’t want to be going through the same round of tunes month after month.

"But if you’ve done it well, the response should be: "That’s a grand tune. What’s it called?’ or something similar. Not silence".
Not if it’s a s#it tune in the first place. Silence is sometimes more diplomatic.

Posted by .

"And how is a session to learn new tunes unless someone does go out on a limb to play something unfamiliar?"
We do it all the time. Sometimes a tune does get learnt & sometimes it doesn’t. It’s little or nothing to do with *purist* attitudes, Muircheartaigh.

Posted by .

> Surely the only criterion is that the tunes are enjoyable - regardless of their provenance

Only Callison can answer whether or not they did in the end find it enjoyable, but I’m guessing not.

Posted by .

I don’t think it’s about purity - I’m sure it’s been described as ‘pure…’ something many times before.