Good Songs

Good Songs

Ok, being a tunester I mostly ignore songs and generally hate schmaltzy ballads. However I love many Irish songs and am making a playlist. Trouble is I need some recommendations. My fave Irish singer, Maurice Dickson isn’t even on Spotify! Anything with fire in the belly, sold exciting rhythm and a nice rootsy sound is what I’m after. So go on, show me what I’ve been missing.

Here’s the playlist so far https://open.spotify.com/user/sean.lally74/playlist/1q3k8lBMW9bW0TpsVYNw6j?si=r-k4MQTpR_CD3kd8cHKW8A

Re: Good Songs

thats a good list already Sean - nice to see ‘Western Plains ’ written by that well known Irishman, Leadbelly!
My favorites would include Gleanntain Ghlas Gaoth Dobhair by Altan [written by Mairead’s dad]
the Grainnnmore Hare by Dick Gaughan, and Arthur Mcbride and the Sergeant and Lakes of Ponchartrain by Paul Brady. There’s loads more but that will do for now. Oh and I 2nd the request to have the spam deleted!

Kitty McGee and The Cobbler sung by Tommy Makem. Also have a listen to Dervish. Kathy Jordan, their singer, is great.

that’s cracking Kenny - I like to think Leadbelly would have approved of that!

Thanks for the input all, but these slower ballads are not what I am after. Think of the energy of a fast reel in a song. THAT’S what I love.

Which "slower ballads" ?

Posted by .

Brady song for one. Not slagging anyone’s taste, but see my crtieria. Havin it songs!

Cool