EasyABC only exporting part of tune to pdf

EasyABC only exporting part of tune to pdf

I have a seven line tune. When exporting this particular tune to pdf it only exports the first two lines. The third line suddenly becomes a blank music staff with the chords written above and none of the remaining lines print at all. It seems to be related to first and second endings. The last measure of the first ending goes to the third line and is followed by the 2nd ending. If I open the file with a different program (ABC Explorer) and export it to pdf, it is fully exported as normally expected. Exporting it with EasyABC results in the problem described above. If I remove the repeat sign at the end of the first ending, EasyABC will export it to pdf normally. I’ve never seen this behavior before and I have multiple tunes with first and second endings although the first ending doesn’t usually need to wrap to a different line. Anybody else seen this and have an explanation or workround other than removing the repeat sign? Am I missing some syntax order of symbols or spacing that’s causing this?

Re: EasyABC only exporting part of tune to pdf

Include the abc code (text) in the post and tell us whether you’re on pc, mac or linux. That makes it a bunch easier on the other end to see what might be going on.

It would help tremendously to see your abcs. Are there any abcm2ps error warnings in the abc view window?
Can you successfully export to another format in EasyABC?

Posted by .

Using a Windows 10 computer. The headers are:
T:Hi Flyer Stomp (not a celtic tune, but this is a group that knows EasyABC)
C: v2
% v1 original transcription without chords
% v2 added chords and corrected notes at end of lines 3 and 6
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:G

On my computer this won’t print beyond the 2nd line:
B,/ C>^C |: "G"D2 (3d^c=c B3 d | "C7"(3_BdB A>d B>A G/F/=F/E/ | "G"D2 (3d^c=c B3 d |
"C7"(3_BdB A>d B>A G>E | "G"D>E G>A B>d e2 | [1"E9"f2 e>d B4 | "A"Be2 B e>A (3Bc^c |
"D9"(3d^c=c B>d _B>=B d>E :| [2 "E9"f2e d>B e2 _B | "A"A>G E>D (3GF=F E2 | G>D B,>E G>A B>d |

Similarly, at the end of the first measure of line 3 if the colon is replaced with a ] it won’t print that line.

If you remove the colon (repeat sign) at the end of the first measure in line 3 it will print:
B,/ C>^C |: "G"D2 (3d^c=c B3 d | "C7"(3_BdB A>d B>A G/F/=F/E/ | "G"D2 (3d^c=c B3 d |
"C7"(3_BdB A>d B>A G>E | "G"D>E G>A B>d e2 | [1"E9"f2 e>d B4 | "A"Be2 B e>A (3Bc^c |
"D9"(3d^c=c B>d _B>=B d>E | [2 "E9"f2e d>B e2 _B | "A"A>G E>D (3GF=F E2 | G>D B,>E G>A B>d |

Are you guys experiencing the same thing with this code? Is there anything about the syntax I’m missing? I do lots of tunes with first and second endings but never experienced only a partial pdf export. The only thing that’s unique to this tune is that the last measure of Part 1 wraps to the next line.

Completely aside, if anyone’s curious about how the tune sounds, here is Linda Littleton and Karen Hirschon playing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_otmDbHfy0

There are no error messages in EasyABC. I tried exporting to HTML and it prints fully in Html, even with the : in the third line.

Aha!!! I tried exporting to Music XML and got an error message:

Error during conversion of X:1 ("Hi Flyer Stomp"): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "easy_abc.py", line 2699, in OnExportAllMusicXML
File "G:\PythonProj\EasyABC\xml2abc_interface.py", line 32, in abc_to_xml
File "G:\PythonProj\EasyABC\abc2xml.py", line 994, in parse
ParseException: Expected end of text (at char 199), (line:3, col:27)

"D9"(3d^c=c B>d _B>=B d>E ] :| [2 "E9"f2e d>B e2 _B | "A"A>G E>D (3GF=F E2 | G>D B,>E G>A B>d |

—————————————^

Expected end of text (at char 199), (line:3, col:27)

I don’t understand how to interpret the error message, but hopefully those of you savants will recognize the problem (hopefully, not something obvious on my part).

Thanks, Bob. I’m leaving just now to run errands. Hopefully someone will check this out while I’m out & get you back in the game.
I did run the 3 lines with repeat in place & everything worked. I’m on Windows 8.1. EasyABC 1.3.5 downloaded from Nils original EasyABC page. Default abcm2ps.
Exports 3 lines to PDF. PDF looks good.
Gotta go.
Ben

Posted by .

I pasted this into EasyABC on my Windows laptop
X:1
T:Hi Flyer Stomp (not a celtic tune, but this is a group that knows EasyABC)
C: v2
"D9"(3d^c=c B>d _B>=B d>E :| [2 "E9"f2e d>B e2 _B | "A"A>G E>D (3GF=F E2 | G>D B,>E G>A B>d |

and then Export all as PDF and got the whole thing as it should be.

Col 27, as you have probably identified, is the :

I can’t see anything wrong with the syntax, although I would take out the space between :| and [2

My EasyABC can’t see anything wrong either because it exports the whole thing to a pdf just fine (Windows 7, EasyABC 1.3.7.7, gs9.15 - gswin64.exe)

Also, ABCMus - which is very particular about syntax it doesn’t like - reports no errors with your code.

I am running version 1.3.5 from the original author’s site. Since others are not experiencing this problem, I think I’ll try reinstalling the program and see if that makes a difference.

Reinstalling v1.3.5 didn’t make any difference. It still will only print the first two lines and a blank score for line three. I think I’ll try v 1.3.7 from Source Forge and see if that fixes it.

Installing v 1.3.7 fixed the problem. I’m still open to an explanation of why v 1.3.5 did what it did.

I wonder if the version of abcm2ps.exe with 1.3.5 didn’t handle "| [1" properly. Did the simpler alternative "|1" (and for the second ending) work?

it’s probably ghostscript. are you using 64 bit?

Posted by .

Bob, I would check out your ghostscript .exe
In a recent discussion 64 bit ghostscript did not work w/EasyAbc v 1.3.5
But your original abcs worked on my system. Here is what I have running.
Windows 8.1
EasyABC 1.3.5
abcm2ps 7.0.13
gs9.27-gswin32c.exe

Bob, can you find the ghostscript and see if it’s 32bit and if the gs folder has only one gs executable file?
Thanks,
Ben

Posted by .

Since in the OP we are told that it will export a PDF but with an incomplete tune I think ghostscript being the problem is unlikely. If abcm2ps is parsing the ABC code wrongly it may not know that there is any problem to report.

For syntax errors I find generating the MIDI (by playing the tune) and looking at the messages is useful as it is more fussy about syntax - for example second endings don’t work without the start of the repeat being shown.

I’ve experienced this problem in the past. The solution was to re-type the whole abc text. It seems that the version of EasyABC I was running saw something in the text that wasn’t obvious to us humans. Cut and paste didn’t work as it just copied the problem. I haven’t had the problem recently but I’ve done several updates and I use default settings for abcm2ps to get over the other problem of getting negative numbers for the tempo. Might be worth going into ‘settings/ABC settings’ and leaving the fields blank to use defaults.
Mike

Yes, I have had similar problems, expecially with ABC copied and pasted via the web. The way characters get converted automatically we can’t be sure that what Bob Lamparter posted above is exactly what he copied from EasyABC even if it looks the same.

I’ve the same problem also with a tunebook that won’t generate the PDF past a particular tune. And despite various tricks to fix or correct - there is something in the ABC that is causing a glitch between EasyABC and the abcm2ps hand-over. I’m using Mac primarily rather than Windows for editing ABC.

The thing I noticed with regard to the tune that broke the PDF is that it too has complex "parts" and there must be some glitch in the processing of same.

You are not alone.

Bob, I haven’t heard that tune before and I really like it. Could you post the full ABC score, please? I would much appreciate it. Thanks

I’m using 32 bit ghostscript on my 64 bit Windows 10 computer. There are two ghostscript exe’s in the folder gswin32.exe and gswin32c.exe.

Muircheartaigh - I’d be happy to post the entire tune, but it’s not celtic. Would it still be appropriate to upload the file here at thesession? If not, where is a better place to put it where people will find it? MIT’s trillian tunefinder is great for finding things, but I haven’t had much luck contributing tunes there that I’ve transcribed.

Since posting the query here I discovered there’s a discussion group for EasyABC over at SourceForge. Because I fixed the problem by installing a newer version it wouldn’t be useful to post the query there now, but I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

Bob,
You needn’t worry about putting non-Celtic tunes in the Mustard’s database; it’s already awash with other genres (much to the chagrin of those who believe it should all be Irish) The site is about sessions (the clue is in the name) and whatever gets played in a session is fair game. ‘Coloured (or Colored) Aristocracy’, a cakewalk - though it’s classed as a reel - has been there for over three years; posted by Mix O’Lydian.

If you still feel it’s a genre too far, you can post the ABC in this thread - it won’t be entered into the main database - and I, or anyone else who likes it, can copy it from here.

Thanks, AB,
That book, Western Swing by Stacy Phillips, looks impressive. I’m definitely going to order it.

When I went to enter the tune in the regular fashion, it asked for a type, and none of them fit, so I’ll post it here.

X:1
T:Hi Flyer Stomp
C: Texas Swing
C: v3
% v3 Corrected rhythm of 2nd ending
"D9"(3d^c=c B>d _B>=B d>E :| [2 "E9"f2e>d B e2 _B | "A"A>G E>D (3GF=F E2 | G>D B,>E G>A B>d |
"Bm"f4 {gf}e2 d2 | "F#+"f4 z2 f2 | "D"=f>^f =f>^f e z d2 | "E9"=f>^f =f>^f e>d B2 | "Am"e2 e2 d>^c =c2 |
"E+"e4 z2 e>e | "C"^d>e ^d>e =d>A (3Bc^c | "D9"(3d^c=c B>d _B>=B d>E || "G"D2 (3d^c=c B3 d |
"C7"(3_BdB A>d B>A G/F/=F/E/ | "G"D2 (3d^c=c B3 d | "C7"(3_BdB A>c B>A G>E |
"G"D>E G>A B>d e2 | "E9"f2 e>d B e2 _B | "A"A>G E>D "D"(3GF=F E2 | "G"G6

That’s grand, Bob.
Thanks very much.

No, none of the types - jig, reel. etc. - will fit; which is why ‘Coloured Aristocracy’, a Cakewalk, was entered into the Database as a reel. Most non-standard 4/4’s get classified as reels. ‘Reel’ has become a default for 4/4.