Is anyone else having problems with TunePal? (Firefox on MacOS Sierra)

Is anyone else having problems with TunePal? (Firefox on MacOS Sierra)

Sorta does it’s thing but then goes into "Analyzing… (0.00%)" forever.

It worked fine up until a few weeks ago or thereabouts.

Re: Is anyone else having problems with TunePal? (Firefox on MacOS Sierra)

I just tried it on MacOS Mojave (10.14.5) and Firefox Developer Edition (68.0b5) and it worked fine. You might have had a java update or something that has broken it. Or it’s possible that Brian and the team have updated TunePal, not realizing that it no longer supports something in a 3 year old OS…

It took me 7 years to finally upgrade from Snow Leopard. I’m dreading upgrading again. Apple degrades a lot of their applications with each new OS release.

It’s recently been requesting location information before it will stop analyzing and provide the tune identification. You may need to check the privacy settings on your computer.

Posted by .

Have you tried it with Chrome?

Thanks Scoti, I’ll poke around and see what I can find.
I don’t use Chrome, it has about 1500 subprograms watching what you do on your computer.

I still haven’t found whatever magic setting that’s either in FireFox or MacOS to change that will let TunePal do its thing but I have run across this very interesting graphic on TunePal’s usage from 2012 t 2018:
https://public.tableau.com/profile/katie.kilroy#!/vizhome/TunePal-30JUNE2019/BRYANVERSION

Weird that I’m familiar with almost all of the top 25 yet #2 on the list (#1 doesn’t count - obviously) is one I’ve never run across in name or session.

Meanwhile, I suspect that the last TunePal upgrade of 22 June 2019 is about when my access to it became tangled. If I can ever find an email address for them, I’ll ask for help but so far, that’s also slipping through my fingers.

Carl, do you need Bryan Duggan’s email address?

Posted by .

Thanks postie, with the alternate name I can find a dozen instances of "Molly Ban" on YouTube. Now I’ve heard it and know the name.

"I don’t use Chrome, it has about 1500 subprograms watching what you do on your computer."

I don’t think this is an accurate statement.

"I don’t think this is an accurate statement."
For privacy concerns what is important is what are a browser’s default settings, what gets blocked & how do browsers compare.

Posted by .

He’s implying that Chrome literally runs about 1500 sub programs to watch your activity. It does not. Go into the Activity Monitor on the Mac and see for yourself.

The comments on that article are more interesting and useful than the article itself.

Yeah, I don’t know how much credence to give it.

The android app doesn’t work on my google pixel 3 :(

I’ve never had any luck with TunePal on my iPhone. The fact that it’s still on the phone and I still try it on occasion is purely a case of rampant over-optimism.

I find it works quite well with solo whistle, but definitely problematic in a noisy pub situation.