Quickdraw capo doesn’t fit my Lowden S10, advice.

Quickdraw capo doesn’t fit my Lowden S10, advice.

Hi,
I just bought a Lowden S10 and to my extreme horror the quickdraw capo doesn’t slide above the nut. I am using it for over 15 years and I am kind of getting used to it and I guess I must change my style.
Does anyone had my same problem?
Any advice for a good capo easy to move?
Thank you.

Re: Quickdraw capo doesn’t fit my Lowden S10, advice.

Oops

How does it not fit? Is the nut too high? If there is plenty of depth in the string slots, it should be possible to file the top of the nut down to accommodate the capo - as long as the slots end up at least as deep as half the diameter of the string. It might seem a drastic thing to do to such a classy guitar but, done properly, it would not affect the functioning of the guitar and, inasmuch as it would allow you to use your preferred capo, would enhance its playability - and it would be a very simple job for a luthier.

If the problem is the depth of the neck, then that’s another matter. Although it could be done, I would not be happy shaving down the neck of a Lowden. Perhaps Quickdraw do another model designed for deeper-necked guitars (or could even make you one to order). Surely there must be other Lowden players using Quickdraw capos; what do they do?

I have the same problem with either of my P.W. Crump instruments. The heel of the neck is closer to the body then other manufacturers instruments. Short of having the heel re-shaped I doubt there’s much you can do to remedy the problem. I had to resort to using a spring-loaded capo. There are individuals out there that can move a spring-loaded capo quickly but I’m not one of them. It has to stay in place for the entire length of the tune.

If you must use it then just tune your guitar down a 1/2 step and leave the capo on the first fret all the time.

@Steve Wilson: Top answer

This question set me thinking; perhaps this is one of those fortuitous turns that might encourage a change in approach to playing. Just a thought, I’m not saying there’s a better way, but sometimes these things that initially throw you off can also divert you into fresh new territory… Sometimes….

It’s a controversial solution but after spending a lot of money on a nice guitar you could learn to play it without a capo. You don’t see a capo on a fiddle or mandolin or a flute!

A capo isn’t a crutch….. It allows the player to employ chord inversions, open ringing strings, and the intended tonal timbre in many keys to blend with other musicians or vocalists.

Can it be a crutch? Certainly.

Is it a crutch? Might posit that question to John Doyle, Tony Rice…..etc,etc,etc.

Some spring loaded capos are easier to reposition than others, in particular the D’Addario NS Tri-Action, which also has adjustable tension. The arms extend downwards under the neck and are in a natural position to grab and slide. And I find i can park it on most guitar/zouk nuts I’ve tried.

@callison, I have the same problem with my Crump bouzouki. Phil recommended a Shubb capo but I can’t find one that I can switch easily enough. I’m about to try Steve’s suggestion of tuning down a half step and sticking the quick change on the first fret.

I had to look up what a "Quickdraw Capo" is/looks like, because I’ve never seen that brandname in the States. Over here they’re usually called slider capos by various manufacturers.
I’m assuming the headstock widens too quickly past the nut to allow the slider to stay on the guitar but off the fretboard? If that assumtion is correct, do they make a 12 string version of that capo? They’re typically a little wider than the 6 string versions are. That extra 3/16 to 1/4 inch might give you the extra room you’re needing.
With the classical background/training, I never used a capo until I started playing ITM/STM, but sooned used one, especially in groups with more than one guitar being played (great for changing chord voicings). I use a spider capo, as it works on each individual string and allows me to use alternate tunings
The other suggestion would be to contact Lowden and ask what their recommrndation would be.

You don’t see a capo on a fiddle or mandolin or a flute!
Really you have never seen a capo on a mandolin, Colour coded whistles. Chanters in different keys. Granted if you only play in D and G or A the capo is not needed But sometimes instruments are not concert and a capo is very handy . Watching some rock guitarist with 2/3 capos on the neck, quick key change toss a capo off and still play the same chord pattern and so on

I have never seen a mandolin player, playing Irish or scottish tunes, use a capo.

What is a colour coded whistle? I know loads of whistle players: never seen a colour code on any instrument.

Just an observation the fipples on some makes are different colours for G D ……..I just assume that apart from the length it is an indicator of key.

Nope.
That’s a Steve Earle song, played by the man himself in a Jimmy Moon mandolin. And most of the folk are miming. Maybe they’re playing colour coded mandolins?