Traveling with Fiddle

Traveling with Fiddle

I’m flying to Colorado tomorrow for a friend’s wedding and he wants to play a few jigs at the reception. I rarely fly. Is it best to take my fiddle as a carry on?

Re: Traveling with Fiddle

Yes, absolutely do take it as carry on, unless you are ok with the airline destroying it. Don’t let them make you check it!

Nobody should give you any grief for carrying on a fiddle as your "personal item". I carry on banjos all the time. Depending on the airline, it helps if you have early boarding, to help guarantee an overhead bin space close to your seat. Another thing to be aware of is that a fiddle case is pretty narrow, so if you stick it in the overhead, short people may not see it and try to jam a large carryon bag in on top of it. So just pay attention during that time, so you can stop people from damaging it. And then maybe find someone with a purse or duffel bag that will fit in tandem with the fiddle case.

It depends on where you’re going to be in Colorado, but there are lots of sessions around. If you’re around the Denver area, I have a friendly, welcoming session on Wednesdays if you’re at all interested. https://thesession.org/sessions/6455

We’re flying into Denver Tuesday night, staying in a motel but then heading up to Keystone on Wednesday. I wish I could hit up a session but I don’t think I’ll be able to.

I travel with a flat set of uilleann pipes in a hard-shell viola case, and have always been able to carry it on, including to and from Denver. You won’t have any problem with a fiddle case.

I’ve had to argue my corner a good few times. In Europe Ryanair are particularly bad for wanting to put instruments in the hold. If at all possible avoid doing it. A lot of instruments have been damaged this way.

Thanks guys. I decided, since it’s really only two jigs we’re playing, I’m just gonna borrow someone’s guitar when I get there. I haven’t flown in forever and I didn’t realize that you have to pay for a carry on.

Tough rules inEurope. You are allowed a large "handbag" as a female, so I always call my fiddle, my "handbag".I always it between my legs, put my seat belt on and hope for the best. In desperation if pulled up, I slide it as best I can, under the seat.Normally a vaugue attempt at his works. No overhead locker. Mad people with cases like bulletproof armour shove it in there. No way!

Update: much beer drunk, no tunes played, MANY SONGS SUNG.