Titanium wrapped strings

Titanium wrapped strings

I keep destroying my A strings aluminum wrapping / has anyone tried titanium wrapped strings?

Re: Titanium wrapped strings

Didn’t know titanium wrapped strings existed - seems like they would be pretty hard on frets. Have you tried vibranium?

Posted by .

Well luckily fiddles don’t have frets / vibrainium sounds like unobtainium / my grandson says Helicore makes them

Mike, those vibranium strings are terrible. Vibranium absorbs vibrations and kinetic energy, so they don’t produce much volume. Now, if they’re made of reverbium, which is an artificial form of vibranium, they would produce a lot of volume, as reverbium amplifies sound. Either way, they would be terribly expensive, but they’d last a really, really long time.

Mike, just wondering - where on the A-string does the winding start to come apart?

I’ve only ever had that problem with the Thomastik Dominant A, but they seems to have redesigned the string to eliminate that problem.

Every other brand of A-string has been fine for me.

I have the same problem on the A string. always starts to come apart at the point where my third finger comes down. Similar problems with D but it lasts a bit longer. Never a problem with G or E. I use Infeld Red but its getting expensive so think I’ll try something cheaper.

Posted by .

Reverbium? Cool. My frets are made out of erodium.

I’d try reverbium, but I have some misgiviums.

Posted by .

Wow. That took a hard left into Geekville. I have the same problem with the A string blowing out at the D-note position. It’s bad enough that I routinely buy an extra A string with every set because the A blows out well before the others are worn. So I’d be curious to hear someone’s experience with titanium. The only strings that seem to last there for me have been steel, but I don’t like their sound.

By the time your strings wear out though, they probably sound really bad. Old strings (anything older than 6 months) negatively affect your intonation. Besides, I love the way new strings sound after they’ve settled.

>>>: "reverbium amplifies sound."

I will be needing a new revervium banjo head. Make sure there is a little place inside of it where I can hide my money.

one thing you can do to improve string lifetime, if you don’t already, is wash your hands before you play and then wipe down the strings afterwards. some people’s body chemistry can cause metal to corrode, either from the skin oil or sweat.

i haven’t tried the Helicore titanium wound A, but i like Helicores in general and the D (which is always titanium wound) seems to work fine.

Posted by .

I had a titanium Helicore, but borrowed it from a friend as a spare and didn’t use it long enough to get to know it.

Every A string I tried unwinds under the "B" note (first finger). I also buy two A strings every time- I use Infeld Reds now, but it happened with Dominants, Evah Pirazzi, and maybe regular Helicores.

Try "Obligato" strings. I have 4 violins. My favourite has Evah Pirazzis, but the rest all have Obligatos and I never take my favourite out as it’s too valuable to have Murphy’s spilled all over it! Obligotos are a bit pricey but they never unwind and they go on forever, sounding pretty good. You can really "hammer" you fiddle and they just behave themselves. Moreover, they suit most violins, and give a great , rich, consistent sound. You can order them online. Seems to me Infeld red are everywhere, which I’d never use. Horrible things, but obviously cheap and cheerful and work for many players.

Make sure your hands are clean and your nails cut short and wipe strings over with a cloth after playing. Titanium won’t corrode. Try them and see if they suit your acidic skin.

Go for the titanium Helicores. As a busker I would wear through one ‘a’ string every week or two (obligatos, regular helicores, evahs, anything aluminum.) The titanium feels a little different under the fingers, and it might be a little thinner than you’re used to, but for me it’s completely worth it.