What tunes go well with Planxy Irwen and The South Wind?

What tunes go well with Planxy Irwen and The South Wind?

hi everyone!
I hope everybody is having a great day!

I need some help, because I’m planning to play in a harvest festival in October. I think, it just needs to be 10 minutes of performance, and it’s the kind that anybody can join if they sign up.
I play penny whistle, and I love Irish and Scottish music but I’m not quite familiar with tunes that would be great for Fall and are happy sounding. I’m from the United States.

Just wanted to share something about my area.
The Festival is celebrated for two weeks, and each town in the area, hosts different activities. My town has a parade, a quilt show, American football game, and a town Potluck. The town in the East, has an expensive looking theater built in 1920’s so we dress up formally, to see a Disney movie on two nights and a dance performance. The town in the South, has a massive fairgrounds and there are lots of rides to go on. I think as far as I know, the only place that does this kind of thing and it’s really cool! I’m planning to perform during the Potluck, on stage. Something that I’ve wanted to do since I was little. It’s not a real Holiday in the United States, just a tradition my town has been doing for generations because the we’re done with potatoes, wheat, and Alfalfa. So, we celebrate!

Re: What tunes go well with Planxy Irwen and The South Wind?

That sounds like a nice event. Are you looking particularly for tunes to play *together* with Planxty Irwin and The South Wind? I woud say those two make a fine set together as they are.

If you want tunes that fit the theme (in title, at least), an obvious choice would be The Harvest Home https://thesession.org/tunes/49 . This could be played together with The Stack of Wheat https://thesession.org/tunes/785 .

A few more:
The Bag of Spuds (i.e. potatoes) https://thesession.org/tunes/579
The Wind That Shakes the Barley (not wheat but close ;-) )
The Gander in the Pratie Hole https://thesession.org/tunes/401

…In fact, searching the tune database on the words "harvest", "wheat", "potato", "pratie", "tattie", "spud" gives quite a few results. Nothing for "alfalfa", unfortunately.

Planxty Irwin is tune by Carolan, blind 17th century Irish harpist. And I think South Wind’s sometimes attributed to him. So maybe another Carolan tune would go well, I love the famous "Princess Royal" a cracking tune. "Planxty Crilly"’s a nice Carolan tune too.

The Hurling Boys (set dance) fits well.

Planxty Fanny Power fits well with Planxty Irwin too.

Ciel d’Automne by Andre Brunet - one of the finest tunes ever written, they don’t come more autumnal than this!

The Gentle Maiden, after you’ve played the South Wind. The south Wind is in the key of G (normally) and in 3 time, so is the Gentle Maiden - in G (same key) and in the same time - 3, so, they run into each other seamlessly, and are around the same speed too. Even better, in it’s basic form, it’s an easy tune to play.

Hi,
There’s a group I found online awhile back called "What’s the Point?" which pairs South Wind with a waltz called Red Lark. Can’t find Red Lark anywhere outside the video, but it goes with South Wind extremely well.
https://youtu.be/9kKAeWJTCwY

May not necessarily be the best idea if the people with whom you’re playing for expect to know the tunes, though it would be a cool way to surprise them as I feel they go very well together.

Another vote for Fanny Power: often play that and Planxty Irwin/Southwind together.
Si Beag Si Mor might also work.
Ciel D’Automne is indeed beautiful, but I would tend to play that as a stand-alone tune.

Trish, yes thats what I meant - for me, Ciel d’Automne wouldn’t fit into a medley with anything else………….. on the subject of 6/8 O’ Carolan tunes, Planxty Hewlett is a nice one thats often overlooked.

I meant 3/4 O’Carolan tunes!!!

I’ve seen some of them written in both 3/4 and 6/8! Sound much the same, so long as you don’t play the 6/8 versions as fast jigs! A lot of older tunes that we now play in 3/4 were originally written in 6/8.

Yes too Fanny power maybe try Blind Mary we finish a South wind set with Spanish Cloak to brighten things up so worth a try also

Thanks for Red Lark I will try it on pipes nice tune

Glad you like it, The Pie-Eyed Piper. Haven’t seen it anywhere else other than that album.

Wow! Thank you for the ideas!

Sorry for responding a week later. I kinda forgot!