Top Notch tunes for solo play on flute

Top Notch tunes for solo play on flute

Hello everyone

Theres a ton of great tunes to play with a few fellow musician but its harder for me to find nice tunes to play when I do my solo act.

Slow Airs are of course a given so please hook me up with your favourite ones. But Im also looking for kick as tunes that works well playing solo on the flute, something in line with the Masons Apron.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Leif

Posted by .

Re: Top Notch tunes for solo play on flute

Kiss the maid behind the barrel. Bunch of greenrushs.
Seán so Ceó. The Merry Harriers. Currants for Cakes Raisens for everything else.

Posted .

To me the really flute-y tunes are ones that fall nicely under the fingers, have lots of jumping over the break, have scope for ornamentation and variation, and allow syncopated honking on Hard Bottom D.

Road to Errogie (G or A)
Valdimir’s Steamboat
Neckbelly #2 (F)
Annika’s Butterfly (Em/G or Dm/F)
Golden Keyboard
Eileen Curran (Ador on the flute is easy)
O’Carolan tunes because the flute breath can be very expressive on slow tunes.

I think of these as “flutey-tunes” because maybe some of them favor sustain rather than a staccato plectrum instrument. The fiddle has sustain, but fiddlers sometimes don’t like the high Cs or Ds.

Sally Gardens is probably the easiest flute tune to play quickly. It’s notes just fall under the fingers so easily.

I like flute tunes by Matt Molloy and Catherine McEvoy. They both play flute very well. You should check them out.

I find that a lot of my fellow musicians are not too fond of slip jigs. They say they dont get the rhythm of them. I think they sound good on the flute and they are not too fast so they are perfect for a solo slot. Start with A Fig for a Kiss and then go into any of the others.

Ashokan Farewell (Jay Ungar) - played in D on the flute (not the more common A)
Hills of New Zealand (Joanie Madden tune)
Kean O Hara (#3) - Turlough O’Carolan
Johsefins Dopvals (aka Josefin’s Waltz by Roger Tallroth, a favourite at our sessions - Swedish of course!)

Almost any of the traditional slow airs obviously.

Trad is rich genre full of wonderful tunes. My thought is to find and play the ones that excite YOU. Bring your energy, your heart to the tune and audiences will appreciate it. Own the tune and don’t try and fake it to a tune you can’t stand up for.