Instrument sales

Instrument sales

We occasionally see postings about instruments for sale on this page, and it seems generally unclear as to (a) whether site visitors feel this is an appropriate place to announce a sales offer, and/or (b) whether they’re effective in finding buyers. They don’t seem to draw a lot of responses, but I suppose you only need the one interested person . . . Anybody got experience/views about this?

To declare an interest, I’m thinking of parting with an 8-key Pratten model flute made in 2011 by UK maker, Dominic Allan.

Posted by .

Re: Instrument sales

Where’s the harm?

It’s a pretty popular request for Jeremy to add a For Sale/Wanted section of the site. So I think a lot of people probably sell successfully, but not everybody. I have listed a few instruments here over the years, and had a pretty mixed response…

If the rate of For Sale posts increased from where it is now, it could get annoying. As it is, I don’t feel that it interrupts the flow of on-topic discussion. Most of the instruments listed are ultra-niche types compared to the larger instrument market like 19th-Century style wooden flutes, concertinas, button box accordions. There’s a limit to how many of these things will come up for private sale. Guitar and violin sellers have other outlets available.

I almost decided to sell a Windward blackwood flute privately by posting a notice here and on Chiff & Fipple, then decided at the last minute to put it up for consignment sale at the Irish Flute Store instead. I don’t know where else I could have posted a notice for private sale other than here or C&F, so it does have some value for the community as long as Jeremy allows it, and it’s not bothering too many people.

The problem with selling an instrument on the forum page is that it quickly drops off the rotation of current posts and may only be visible (unless searched for) for a few days.

Posted by .

Probably better on websites or Facebook pages which cater specifically for your type of instrument, e.g. Concertina.net, melodeon.net, or Melnet on Facebook. Perhaps easier to attach videos or soinclips of said instruments being played.
Also, as this site has worldwide contributors, more useful to go for a site with a narrower geographical coverage, e.g. “Fiddles in Scotland”, “music gear for sale Edinburgh/Glasgow”. Having said that, my son has bought guitars from the US: a bit of a risk, but he reckoned they were cheaper, even after paying shipping, insurance and customs duty, than anything he could have bought in the UK: fortunately he wasn’t ripped off, and the goods turned up.

@Conical bore “If the rate of For Sale posts increased from where it is now, it could get annoying.”

That would be the reason for a sub-forum just for sales. You’re right; it’s pretty much here or C&F if you want to reach the community, and I think the for sale sub forum at Chiff works very well. The pipers probably have other options too.

I’ve only bought one instrument off the boards; I posted something at Chiff about wood vs delrin for flutes, and someone contacted me offline with a wood flute that I bought, with no issues.

I’ve posted items for sale here and on C&F. I’ve had luck selling on them. It is a step in selling that avoids fees associated with Ebay. I have successfully sold there as well, a much bigger audience. You have to boost the prices to cover the cost.
All in all, this is a great service.

I agree with David Levine --- “where’s the harm?”

Posted by .