Tunes and airs with related stories

Tunes and airs with related stories

Hey folks. Some friends of mine host a storytelling group here in Blarney, trying to keep the oral arts alive! I’m not a storyteller myself, but they’ve asked me to play a couple tunes in between a couple stories. Can ye think of any nice airs or tunes that have associated stories or legends? Other than Oro, I can’t seem to think of any!

Thanks for the help, I’ll start practicing.

Re: Tunes and airs with related stories

The Gold Ring - Si Bheag Si Mhor - An Maidhean Mhara: the first 2 fairy related, the last one mermaid related! Good luck with your gig.

Not ITM, but you may want to look into the story surrounding a fine Swedish tune called ‘Hårgalåten’. Or another Swedish one called ‘Näcken och Sko-Ella’ by Eric Sahlström. Sinister magic stuff! (Dots for both in the tune library at www.rudemex.co.uk).

Posted by .

Paddy’s Ramble Through the Park has a mysterious story behind it. Ot’s An air; not a waltz as notated here, because there’s no category for air on this site.
https://thesession.org/tunes/512

Maybe try something like this?
Uí Ógáin, Ríonach. "Music Learned from the Fairies." Béaloideas 60/61 (1992): 197-214. doi:10.2307/20522407.

Perhaps…

Anach Cuain?

A poem by Antóin Ó Raifteirí, often remembered as the last of the travelling bards

It’s a true, sad story of a disaster on Loch Corrib when many were drowned

I hope you find this useful

All the best
Brian x