Telescoping whistles

Telescoping whistles

Hello, I’d like to buy a telescoping whistle (high C, D and maybe E if anyone makes it). I know about two or three makers who are/were making this kind of whistles.

1) Noah Herbison (Laughing whistles) - does anyone know if he is still making whistles? It looks he is difficult to reach by email (or maybe not at all).

2) Mack Hoover - I’ve found mentions about some telescoping whistles made by him but I don’t know if he is still making them (I found no mention on his website).

3) David O’Brien - seems to be the only active maker. I am not sure if his whistles are loud enough for me.

I like the Laughing whistles sound so I would be happy if anyone can tell me if Noah Herbison does still make whistles and if there is any reliable email contact to reach him.

I am looking rather for a louder whistle so any info of this kind about whistles from all three makers (or other makers) would be very useful for me.

And I would be most happy for any sound sample of Mack Hoover telescoping whistle.

Re: Telescoping whistles

Why a telescoping whistle?

The reason is to make it more compact. A three-part telescoping D whistle fits in a shirt pocket.

It does make me wonder about potential for leaks, how solid and stiff they are when pulled out all the way, etc., but I get the portability idea. They don’t seem to have set the market on fire though. With so many people carrying shoulder bags or backpacks these days, maybe the idea of something cool you could fit in your pocket like a harmonica isn’t as appealing as it used to be?

I have a Clare 2-part whistle with one of Mack Hoover’s PVC heads on it floating around somewhere. It sounds very nice, but it’s quiet and needs a little handholding to avoid clogging up. Never had any issues with air leaks or whatnot. I’ve never met one of the telescoping ones.

Posted by .

There is a German tin whistle makers who makes what you are looking for:
https://www.tinwhistle.de/tin-whistles/twz-tin-whistles-aus-eigener-fertigung/twz-pure-brass-pocket-tin-whistle-in-d.php

I have a tin whistle made by them and I am quiet happy with it. Compared to other tin whistles I tried out, it is a medium loud instrument and therefore doesn’t need too much breath for the second octave. But I am mainly a flute player, therefore I don’t have much expertise with whistles.
I think contacting them directly might a good idea. They told me they can make their whistles a bit louder or quieter if someone asks for that.

I have a shirt that has a little velcro tab that is for holding some kind of fishing equipment (it’s a button-down fishing shirt), but it fits a whistle. I had another shirt that had a special pocket just for reading glasses that also fit a whistle. I’ve also been known to push one through the button hole on a pocket, too.

@Davidread thank you but unfortunately it’s not what I am looking for. I need really a collapsible telescopic whistle because I want to have two or three of them always in my handbag and I need them to take as little space as possible. Ideal collapsed size is about 15 cm long (like a thick permanent marker). But maybe it will be useful for someone else.

Would the breakapart type work? Bp42 mentioned the Clare 2 piece. Parks has a 3 piece at http://www.parkswhistles.com called the walkabout although I’ve never played one. I imagine there are others as well. Not as handy as a telescoping design but still portable.

I’m trying to imagine a telescoping whistle.

As I picture it, the thing would have, in effect, a conical bore.

I also have one of those old Clare whistles that has a two-piece body. I have used that from time to time when I wanted a compact pocket whistle. Not much of a whistle though. I suppose I could switch out the head for a better head, like a nice Generation or Feadog.

I had a laughing whistle but it was too breathy and quiet for my tastes/style. The Parks walkabout 3 piece and David O’Briein’s 3 piece rovers are better instruments in my opinion.

YMMV…I am primarily a flute player, though. I like the three pieces ones as they fit in my flute case nicely.

Eric

I don’t know anything about telescoping whistles, but I bought a Parks Walkabout intending to use it only when traveling, etc. But I like it so well it’s the whistle I play over 95% of the time. My friends like its sound.