High G whistles for little kids

High G whistles for little kids

I’d like a high G whistle for a little girl who’ll turn 3. I’ve only ever seen Generation ones that high, but I think a plastic whistle would be better and safer for such a young age, don’t you think? I tried looking for Dixon and Susato ones but no luck, it seems they don’t make such high whistles. Any more ideas?

Re: High G whistles for little kids

Why would plastic be safer?

I don’t know, to me it seems smoother than the typical brass or nickel Generation whistle.

Awesome, Dutchie, I don’t know why I wasn’t able to find any high G on Susato’s official website.

I applaud your enthusiasm but any whistle given to a young child is going to get ‘munched’. A cheap replaceable item has got to be a better bet.

Has she expressed an interest in whistles? If she is not yet even 3 years old that is very young to be learning a wind instrument. Age is not the only thing to consider but if she is not the one interested in the instrument consider what interests her musically, what holds her attention.

Posted by .

I indeed didn’t see it on Susato’s own website but I saw it at several retailers.

Personally I would also go for a cheap one (its a child so). Myself I have a Generation D and I have no issues with the metal part (its brass with optionally a nickle layer over it, door handles are made of the same material). The fipple is still plastic. But given you wanted full plastic I guess Susato is the one.

P.s If the child does not like the instrument you can always play it yourself (and maybe she likes to pick it up later).

Dutchie, I actually know some 4 1/2 year olds. I’m not just saying something on a forum about what I think concerns them. I believe it matters to them or doesn’t depending on the child. That’s where I’m coming from.
Ben

Posted by .

What did the kids parents do to you to deserve this?

Don’t worry, I’m the father.. lol

Hey, Dad. So she does have an interest in whistle? I’m assuming you have her exposed to lots of music & probably she enjoys dancing a lot.

Posted by .

Oh I’m well aware AB ^^ I agree with you. But whistles aren’t so expensive (unless you get an expensive one) and can pass as toy in a way :P I do know that over here theres plastic recorders that you can purchase in a toy store (among other instruments from plastic). Its not a massive investment pricewise in case the child turns out to fancy something else instead.

I’m imagining a pack of local street urchins parading through my quiet living room blasting away on high G whistles.

When my kids were small I gave them Bb whistles. Much easier on the ears than high G whistles. :-)
And they were cheap Generation whistles.

Maybe an F or Eb would be easier on the ears!

The way children play whistles, it is never easy on the ears.