App for capturing online audio

App for capturing online audio

Just passing along some tips I’ve discovered for audio capture on the go.

[*** nerd alert***]

I try to collect the best audio versions of tunes I want to learn by ear, gleaned from whatever source (YouTube, ripped CD, or session recording) and stored together with annotations and (optionally) musical notes. The ideal app I’ve found for storing audio and notes together is called ‘Notability’. I can store and play back audio snippets for each tune, along with imported sheet music if desired, on my phone & computer , indexed and synced to the cloud. It even had a slower-downer option.

Until now I’ve needed to sit down at a computer to import YouTube audio because there just aren’t a lot of tools on iOS for capturing/exporting streamed audio.

Just today I discovered a mobile app (‘Beat Time’) that can export YouTube or iTunes audio to create snippets that can be uploaded directly to Notability right on my phone! Audio can also be tempo or pitch shifted if desired within the app before export. This is a breakthrough for me because now I can work on building my my ‘to learn’ library anywhere.

I’m sharing this mainly as an FYI, but feel free to share any audio methods that you use to help store and recall tunes. I’m also happy to provide more details on using these apps.

Re: App for capturing online audio

Any chance you have used "Anytune Pro +" on iOS, which is very similar, and can compare the two?

i haven’t tried Anytune but it looks really good. I get the impression it actually does a lot more than Beat Time. There is a free version as well. Might have to give it a try.

As I remember, the free version wasn’t very useful. I first started using AnyTune Pro + several years ago because it supported recording directly in the app, so was perfect for workshops in remote locations where there was little or no internet service. Before iOS supported the concept of "Open In…" it was very difficult to transfer recordings from an app that could record to one that could slow down and mark sections. You’d have to get the recording up on Dropbox or other service and then access it from the other app, both of which required internet service. AnyTune Pro + had everything in one app, essentially a mobile version of "Transcribe!". These days with "Open In…" built into iOS 12 it’s a lot easier to record in one app and transfer the recording to another app for slow down/pitch shift.

Another vote for Anytune! It’s so easy to drop tunes into it, including from voice memos if you have an Iphone. I like to record a tune in a session and then open it up in Anytune,.

Would it be correct to compare Anytune pro to The Amazing Slowdowner ?

Yes and no. AnyTune Pro + is more like Transcribe! on Windows and Mac. Both share the ability to change pitch and speed independently. AnyTune Pro + displays the waveform of the audio and you can set multiple markers during playback and then select between markers to isolate sections. The Amazing Slowdowner does have the ability to set a single start and end point. You can also record clips directly inside of AnyTune Pro + while I believe on The Amazing Slowdowner you need to record with another app and then figure out how best to transfer the data. That sort of transfer used to require internet access, so wasn’t an option for workshops where there was zero internet access. These days with "Open in…" on iOS maybe it’s not as big an issue.

The Amazing Slowdowner is probably easier to use, but AnyTune Pro + has many more advanced features. I have both on my devices.

Check out Voicemeeter and Voicemeeter Banana if you want to capture online audio. It’s Free/Donation ware and works really well.

I believe those are for PCs, the OP was about iOS tools, but I’ll have to check them out for use on my Windows system.