Fleadh Drogheda

Fleadh Drogheda

The Fleadh in Drogheda was very disappointing, very little ITM. Acts on main stage included Hot House Flowers, Nathan Carter. Should not be heard at Fleadh.

Re: Fleadh Drogheda

That’s as may be, but if you’re at the Fleadh and relying on the main stage to provide you with great music you’re barking up the wrong tree. The more people watching the bands on the stage, the more room for you in the pubs around town to hear the good stuff.
The O’Maonlaí brothers from the Hothouse Flowers are great promoters and exponents of Irish culture.

i would LOVE to see Hot House Flowers :(

The Fleadh was the worst I was ever at in 50 years, bad players with no manners infiltrating sessions. I hope next year in Mullingar they get proper traditional players to perform on the main stage, and leave the pop/rock bands where they belong.

I’m starting to hear some horror stories elsewhere about the sessions. Do Comhaltas need to set up some kind of formal agreement/contract with pubs or the town council regarding where you can be guaranteed the opportunity to play and hear music?

I was nowhere near the main stage and was not relying on it, and the streets were packed with buskers who were an embarrassment. Is this what our great festival has become.

This was my first fleadh, and I have to admit I didn’t get the appeal for the most part. Pubs were overcrowded and difficult to get into, and yeah, a lot of those kids should have been home practicing, instead of out on the street…practicing. That said, there were plenty of kids who could play rings around me quite easily, and fair play to them. And the singing circles were lovely and well run. So, a mixed bag for me.

Reflections on Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann

I have long felt that there are 3 or more Fleadheanna. Fleadh 1 is the official CCÉ one, with the competitions, Comhaltas recitals, Scoil Éigse etc.
Fleadh 2 is the commercial one, with the gig rig, dome, TV shows presented by clowns with hardly a notion of what traditional music actually is, and the hangers on (giant leprechauns, face painters & profiteering publicans).
Fleadh 3 is ‘the peoples Fleadh’, away from the centre of the town in pubs where musicians and singers can do what they know best….sing and play to their hearts content, oblivious of the ‘madness’ outside.

Also, I have to laugh at the pubs in several towns that have hosted the ‘Fleadh’ over the last number of years. There they are blaring out CDs of the Wolfe Tones, Clancy Brothers or Dubliners with big signs outside ‘Musicians welcome here’! Oh, a ‘fáilte mór’ indeed!!…. Just imagine heading into one of those pubs a few weeks later when the Fleadh has passed on, and yourself or a pal with a fiddle or flute and attempting to play a few tunes ….I’d say you’d be lucky to get past the first part of a jig or reel before being shown the door (most likely the back door)!!!

I’ve seen reports of ITM players getting violently mugged outside of sessions. Can anyone confirm?