Irish Carols

Irish Carols

This is WAY early, but please any suggestions for Irish carols to play at the Festive Season (preferably listed on thesession.org?

Re: Irish Carols

there was a cracker on an old Horslips album - ‘Rugh Maire Mac do Dhia’ [excuse my Irish if I mis- spelt it]

ok I did mis-spell it - but anyway the video wouldnt play.

Thanks. Only one I know is the Wexford Carol which is indeed an interesting tune. Will take note of suggestions …

Carols that aren’t actually Irish, but that work well at sessions (with the key I use at sessions):
Away in a Manger D
The Snow Lay on the Ground D
I Saw Three Ships D
Christ Was Born on Christmas Day G
Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella G
Jingle Bells G
On This Day Em
We Three Kings Em
Gaudete Am

Printed source: "A Celtic Tin Whistle Christmas" by James Tanguay. Mel Bay, 2003.

While Shepherds Watched their Flocks - written by an Irishman Natum Tate.
Once in Royal David’s city - written originally as a poem by Dubliner Cecil Alexander.
Christmas in Killarney.
Carol of the birds (Curoo Curoo) - This one is very nice indeed.
Check out the 13 Kilmore Carols too. I think carol of the birds is one of the best known of them, but I’m not sure.

Ceàd Mìle Fàilte Ròmhat A Jesa is a popular children’s song at Christmas in Kerry.

Heather McD : Cecil Alexander, this is Mrs Cecil Alexander of Dublin who also wrote "All things bright and beautiful". The notorious verse "The rich man in his …, the poor man at his gate, he …….. , he ordered their estate." Can’t remember all the words but that verse isn’t used these days. (Excuse irrelevance).