This should be added to the repertoire

Re: This should be added to the repertoire

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing :-)

Posted by .

Thank you for sharing this gem of culture! I can’t sing this at this afternoons gig, but I’ve somewhere I can play it next week!
Alex.

Epic! The bards of yore are envious.

Posted by .

Funny to those of you who don’t have to deal with the daily bits of ignorance, hatred, and narcissism coming from El Porco Grosso . For most of us in the US it’s like singing a song about Hitler. We who have to contend with trade wars, abuse of privilege, sexism, racism, repeal of environmental regulation and global warming would just as soon never hear his name again.
(Thought I confess that I did get a kick out of the song. It’s very clever and very funny. So thanks.)

And I agree, it isn’t about El P.G. at all, but about the grandmother. Still…..

I agree with David, but add blasphemy to the list

Posted by .

Funny or not, the absolute last thing I come to this site for is to be reminded yet again of the embarrassing buffoon that currently occupies the office of president in my country.

Lots of other places to swap this kind of stuff (FB, Twitter), please don’t let this become normalized here.

Re: This shouldn’t be added to the repertoire

Thanks, Kellie. Do you know the song is misogynistic?

Posted by .

Re: Conal Gallen… added to the repertoire?

Kellie, it’s a version of a song penned by Conal Gallen. As far as I can see he is a popular Irish entertainer though I’m frankly very disappointed by the skits and songs I’ve found today.

"His self-penned song, ‘Horse It Into Ya Cynthia’, was the most requested song ever in the 37 year history of B.B.C. Radio Ulster."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhILr70yKQU

Posted by .

Creepy and cringy.

#Not if I have a say.

I appreciate those who have introduced Irish traditional music to me. The tunes are brilliant. I say this
because for all the care which I found from my mentors there is also the potential for young players to be introduced to another side of the culture; a cringeworthy, creepy world which is narcissistic and self absorbed.

Kellie (the OP) is still young & impressionable. I believe for his sake & other young, lurking musicians
here it is my responsibility (our responsibility?) to share the brilliance which is in so much of ITM.
To not be a complacent observer of a younger generation cloning their musical identities from
what they will find within the ilk of the YouTube videos posted above.

Ben

Posted by .

Not sure what all that meant - but, do you think it’s possible you’re making a little too much of this, Ben? (Granted, I didn’t listen to those other vids, and didn’t reach the end of the first one … ).

Posted by .

meself, I’m saying the songs are misogynistic and Kellie is relatively young and possibly very impressionable.
I don’t think I’m making to much of this. Do you think I am?
Ben

Posted by .

Let’s put it this way: if I see a young man take what may be a drink too many, I don’t feel it my obligation to scold him.

Posted by .

In other words I am making too much of the YouTube songs?

Posted by .

I don’t know - I didn’t listen to them, other than most of that first one - as I said. I don’t have any interest in them. So, I don’t know, maybe they’re hideous, and maybe you’re right to warn younger generations. My apologies if I misjudged. Bowing out now.

Posted by .

“My Grandma is a lap dancer at the Donald Trump Hotel” should *not* be added.

I appreciate your bowing out, sir. I have great respect for our members here who are of the youngest generation. Anyone from around 15 years to your early 20s it’s a wonderful thing you’re here for the music, the camaraderie, wanting to learn & play the tunes. Irish culture & the music is rich though not always perfect. Without making too much of the more mundane side of an otherwise resilient tradition I honestly think the song
"My Grandma is a lap dancer at the Donald Trump Hotel" falls short of a masterpiece (far, far short).
I hope it is never immortalised by future generations as they become bearers of the tradition.

meself, now I am making too much of this topic. sorry. Thank you?

Posted by .

See that’s one thing people often forget about folk music. It’s dirty. Sure on recordings and albums it seems clean because they want it to be clean, but if you look at the versions that were actually sung back in the early 19 and late 1800s, they’re really raunchy. One of my favorites is Joe Heaneys version of "Seanduine Dóite"

That’s quite a sweeping assertion about the nature of "folk music" to be made on the back of a single song.

The song isn’t my cup of tea and I think we could all use a little bit less politics in our lives, musical or not.

Not really. I would argue that raunchiness is human nature. I’ve studied every folk tradition from American to Chinese. And I can say without a doubt that that is one thing all folk music has in common. Doesn’t matter what’s considered polite we will always laugh at and secretly enjoy the rudest things.

You have to remember that folk music is written and performed by everyday people. Everyday people are rude. Sure in public we pretend to be one way, but behind closed doors we unleash the dogs of hell so to speak.

We must not abandon the beautiful flaws that make us human.

Plus it’s not really political it’s more about the grandma working at Trump’s hotel in Doonbeg.

"I’ve studied every (sic) folk tradition from American to Chinese". And your profile (if up-to-date) says you’re an 18-year-pld kid. Been busy, then.

Posted by .

"if you look at the versions that were actually sung back in the early 19 and late 1800s, they’re really raunchy"

Kellie,

I don’t believe in sanitising old songs for the sake of it or so that they become more "clean" or "politically correct". Some of them were indeed "raunchy", misogynist, had racist overtones, were disrespectful to many sections of society. Also neighbouring countries, foxes, hares, whales etc. Many (but no means all) glorified war.
We could go on and on…..

Nowadays, a large number of the songs have fallen out of fashion although I don’t see any issue with singing most of them in the right context and, of course, some are still popular.
However, these songs are "of their time" and reflected many of the prevailing views, life styles etc when they were first sung.

However, new songs in this style are actually anachronisms and just don’t sit very comfortably in the repertoire of most musicians and singers today. There are quite a few of them around, however, which do get airings in some singarounds and folk clubs. However, most listeners usually suffer them in silence although there may be the occasional embarrassed laughter.

"Plus it’s not really political it’s more about the grandma working at Trump’s hotel in Doonbeg."
I agree with you there, Austin. Although people hearing it will interpret the lyrics differently.
Even my interpretation is only one of many. Does the hotel employ dancers? ;

Posted by .

Austin, I don’t mean to be rude, so please bear with me. You are a young man, and new to traditional music. In the past you have made similar sweeping generalizations about other genres of music, and these generalizations are representative of your newness to traditional and cultural music.

I doubt that anyone has studied all of the world’s music, in fact I will categorically state that such a comprehensive knowledge is impossible for one person to achieve, especially someone who only discovered Irish traditional music a scant few years ago. Are you aware that there are dozens of extant varieties of traditional music in China, some of which have few living source musicians? This is not knowledge one can accumulate in a few years of casual study, or even in a few years of rigorous, specialized education.

I don’t doubt that this is a subject which interests you, which is a start. But you are claiming to have such a powerful and intimate understand of all human music as to be able to extrapolate knowledge of the condition and temperament of all humans, and furthermore you present your opinions on the subject as fact. Do you truly believe that you are of such great knowledge and insight that you can lecture other people as to the character, intentions, and motivations of humans who died over a hundred years prior to your birth?

Whatever they answer, I heartily suggest that you temper your passion for the subject with academic study of and immersion into some of the varieties of "folk music" which you are making claims about. Effort and time are the only ways to improve in this endeavour, and to me (5 years as a professional military musician, 12 years playing Irish trad, and degrees in cultural anthropology as well as linguistics) you are putting the cart before the horse.

I apologize for the sonewhat off-topic post, and ai would like to reiterate that I hold no ill will not mean any malice by these remarks. I enjoy seeing passionate young people succeed and I wish all the best for your future endeavours.

W. S. Mann

Old bawdy folk songs can be cringy but I tolerate them because I know most people don’t think that way these days and are just playing an old song with a good melody. To make a modern song about someone in the sex industry and supposedly proud of that is disturbing as it’s far from the truth. Encouragement of the objectification of women is not healthy for half the population.
I apologise to the OP who I’m sure didn’t mean to cause offence.

About folk songs being bawdy, it can be bawdy without being sexist. I appreciate a cheaky song now and then.

The site for the hotel advertises traditional stories, music & dance (& weddings?) at the Shebeen Cottage, Doonbeg.

Posted by .

Re: …to the repertoire

Austin, I see you are still lusting to learn as ever. I appreciate what you are seeing about the raw earthiness in traditional music. Keep digging my friend. Don’t stop with a cell phone YouTube from Doonbeg. Although it’s great you found it. Had I been in the pub I would have joined on the chorus…Having said that there is more to Grandma then lapdancing for tips.
You’re curious. Have you listened to much punk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOmKGjy-Ct0

Posted by .

This is priceless! xxDDD

Does it really take years of studying to know people like naughty things?

Austin, people are interesting. You like the song but how long does it hold your interest? Is it a masterpiece worthy of being immortalised?

Posted by .

It does if you are going to make assertions about the nature of human music and the motivations for such music, yes.

Re: In a lap dancer’s own words.

Let’s cut to the quick. The song is written by the grandson. This might be a grandmother’s perspective of her work. "My signature move was that I’d flip upside down. I would always take my shoes off, walking around in
7 and a half inch platform stilettos for eight hours was horrible. As soon as we got back there, I’d take them off.
I would open his legs up, put my hands down on the floor and do a handstand and up onto his lap".

But, Kellie, if you truly believe this song is all you say it is I’ll give it another chance. What do you think?

Posted by .