A new version of BarFly - anyone interested?

A new version of BarFly - anyone interested?

BarFly is an abc music program which I wrote many years ago. It was quite popular in its day, and there are several discussions about it on this site. It died a while ago when Apple stopped supporting PPC code, partly because my development system died, and also because the text editing library I had used also died.

Having some spare time on my hands recently I’ve been trying to revive it. I’ve written a new editor which is quite basic, but does the job. This version runs native on Intel Macs, and runs under any operating system up to Mojave (the current OS). All of the basic functions now work (Playing tunes, with stress programming and macros, displaying the dots, and nearly all of the utility funtions like transposing and error checking). It doesn’t print though, and I’m advising people to install abcm2ps and use that, as it produces much nicer printed output.

It will not work under the next Mac OS, Catalina.

If anyone would like a copy, drop me an email at barfly(at)dsl(dot)pipex(dot)com and I’ll send you a link to download it.

Re: A new version of BarFly - anyone interested?

Excellent news! I just mailed you. I miss BarFly!

I’ve been using the newer version. Works just as good as the former—makes me happy to have it back. I’ve been holding on to an older computer just to be able to run Barfly….

Will it work on an iPhone X?

By the way, I still use my old Apple Mac G4 - as I prefer the relative invulnerability of the IBM PPC to Intel viruses (and I would have to re-purchase the MS Office suite if I upgraded to a new Mac)!