Is this original?

Is this original?

I’ve had a tune bubbling away in my head for a while but can’t figure out if it’s autogenerated or something I’ve heard. Players at my local session think they’ve heard it, but don’t know what it is. First 4 bars below, tempo between air and march.
Thanks for any help!

X:1
T:Is this original?
K:D
M:C
L:1/8
Bd | e3f edBd | e3/d/ef edBc | d3e dBAB | d3/d/de dABd|

Re: Is this original?

First, it seems to be in Em/Edor rather than D major.
Second, the only thing that strikes me is that it starts off rather like "Da New Rigged Ship" https://thesession.org/tunes/880
Good luck, Matt…

It could be in A mixolydian, Nigel.

There is a tune that starts the same way, but the final bar instead of yours is ~d2 df edBc. Can’t remember exactly what it is but I’ll let it simmer - I do know it.

Posted by .

"It could be in A mixolydian…"

I suppose it could, but it doesn’t sound like it to me. It’ll be interesting if Calum remembers his tune.

If you transpose down to Ador, the 1st and 3rd bars are the same as
https://thesession.org/tunes/921 (setting X:3)
The 2nd and 4th are different, but it would remind one of the knotted cord
enough that you might be sure you had heard it before.

(In Edor, the Knotted Cord starts: e3f edBd|e2 fa bafe|d2 de dBAB|d2 fd adfd| )

Thanks very much for all replies, they’re very helpful.
I’ll have a ponder on all the similarities mentioned.

Bd | e2 ef edBd | effd edBc | d2 de dBAB | d2 fd edBd |
e2 ef edBd | effd edBc | d2 de dBAd | f2e2 e2 :|]

This is what my brain has dredged up so far. I think I’m thinking of a pipe band intro hornthing, from the 90s/early 00s.

Posted by .

Hi Matt. Could it be the 2nd part of a hornpipe? It sounds like part of The Old Crossroads, or something related to the Humours of Tullycrine.

or Star of Munster as an air

Thanks again for suggestions, here is the whole tune -

X:1
T:(Title not given)
C: maybe Matt Seattle, maybe not
K:D
M:C|
L:1/8
Bd|e3f edBd|e3/d/ef edBc|d3e dBAB|d3/d/de dABd|
e2 e3/f/ edBd|e3/f/gf edBc|d3/d/de dBAB|d3e d2::
fd|e2 a3/f/ gfed|e3/a/af gfef|d3e dBAB|dABd ABdf|
e2 a3/f/ gfed|e3/a/af gfef|d3/d/de dBAB|d3e d2:|

Regarding the mode, the tune starts on the supertonic (E minor) and resolves to the tonic (D major), just like ( for example) The Dark Island.
I’m fully conversant with tunes that don’t close on the tonic, and my perception is that this, original or not, isn’t one of them, though I clearly see how Calum’s tune, which is very similar, does seem to be in E minor.
It’s very likely that I heard the same tune as Calum some time ago and it’s resurfaced.
Whatever it is, I play it at moderate (not reel) speed, with accompaniment of 2 bars Em followed by 2 bars D throughout.