tunes seldom (or never) heard at sessions

tunes seldom (or never) heard at sessions

Miss Stewart’s Jig, also known as Miss Stewart’s Jig (Indiana) - I’ve never heard this tune played at a session in UK. It must be Scottish in origin. I think it is an excellent tune but nobody on The Session ever picks it up (except cailinrui1 who I think transfer tunes to abcnotation.com).

There must be lots of tunes out there which languish in obscurity when they shouldn’t.

I expect others who post here will have favourite tunes on TheSession which hardly get noticed?

Re: tunes seldom (or never) heard at sessions

Every set I call despite being certain I heard it there the week before.

Reel of Mullinavat, Dr.Gilberts, The Contradiction, Groves hornpipe, Ryan’s rant, Maudabawn Chapel.

Think it’s been discussed before, but may depend where you are, which group of people you started off in sessions with. A lot of the tunes played in at least some of the sessions in Edinburgh have been learned by the participants in local classes, but if you play the same tunes somewhere else you may find you are in a minority and that they will have a pile of tunes that you don’t know.
There are just so many tunes out there, and new ones being written all the time, which makes it impossible to keep up with them all. But if you find one you really like, hang on to it, keep playing it, and hope that other people will take up on it.

Cape North Jig - Winston Scott Fitzgerald
Across the Black River - Kevin Burke

I’ve run across exactly one individual that knows "Across the Black River". That’s too bad too, it’s a lovely tune. The "Cape North Jig" is fun to play as well and unfortunately, entirely obscure.

Across The Black River is on the to-learn list, though I’ve never heard it live.

I think this is a relatively common experience Susan, which is to some degree mitigated by focusing mostly on the tunes people at your local sessions play, and then occasionally introduce ones which are "obscure" to your local region.

Pointless discussion. Every session is different and it very much depends on where you are.
What’s "obscure" in Edinburgh might be seen as "hackneyed" in Ennis.
Nobody at my local sessions would know something like "The Shaskeen". In an Irish session, everybody would know it.
Most players in Scotland would know something like "Calum’s Road", hardly anybody in Ireland.

Posted by .

I’ve posted many examples of "obscure" tunes, hoping they would become less so, but here’s one example, from 1983. Never heard it anywhere since, although Orla McAuliffe, God bless her, did come up with a possible original source - see the "Discussion" :
https://thesession.org/tunes/7685

Posted by .

That’s a common reel around east Galway, and it was played around London in the 60s 70s. It was not called Collis,s.

Nice tune. Do you have a name for it, goose?

In the spirit of the tradition, I gave it that name here in honour of the 2 flute players whom I first heard playing it.
"That’s a common reel around east Galway, and it was played around London in the 60s 70s. " I don’t believe you.

Posted by .

@gooseinthenettles My session plays all thoughs

Count me in for Across The Black River. A daarlin’ tune, IMHO. I play it with Up In The Air and the Coolea Slide. Maudabawn Chapel with Beare Island and Golden Keyboard works fine.