drum loops for practising

drum loops for practising

anyone know of a good app or a Windows software that has basic 4/4 and 6/8 drum loops which can be used for practising jigs and reels?

if there are loops which sound like the drums of a ceilidh band even better!

I heard about Hydrogen but not sure I can make it do a jig unless someone did that….

Re: drum loops for practising

I use an app called Drum Beats+ (Android and I think iOS as well). It’s a bit generic but the sounds are very good quality. The app is free but you buy expansion packs for a few quid which are generally very good.

Hydrogen is a drum machine, so you have to program it yourself - nowt wrong with that but you may not get the best results if percussion is not your wheelhouse and it’s time consuming.

Posted by .

FWIW, there’s a CD called Celtic Beat which is a bodhran tutorial by Ray Gallen. One channel has the bodhran, and the other channel has tunes played by assorted instruments. All major time signatures seem to be represented: jig, reel, hornpipe, slip jig, polka, barndance, and slide. There are the usual 4/4, 6/8 and so forth, but also some syncopated rhythms. Maybe this would be useful for practicing.

Nothing in it for me, just posting the info.

Posted by .

I’d advise against this for two reasons. First, percussion should follow you, not the reverse. Second, practicing to a canned beat inhibits the development of flow and lift because you are constantly succumbing to the pressure of not falling behind. You risk sounding canned yourself. Try playing along with recordings. In addition to the beat, the other instruments will inspire innovation and variation from you.

Posted by .

I disagree. Playing to a metronome or similar has its place, the same as any other learning technique. Playing only to a click track might make one sound mechanical, but in appropriate doses will help with timing and steadiness.

Posted by .

I loathe metronomes. I did buy Mark Stone’s "The Bodhrán": https://www.amazon.com/Bodhran-Mark-Stone/dp/B000CA7ZOM . My timing is so capricious I can’t really follow that either.

Most of the sessions I go to have little or no percussion so I’ve lent the tracks to a friend of mine that does play the bohdrán. I’ll just have to listen louder.

>Aaron
I agree. Totally.
Recently started using a digital metronome (tablet). Could not believe the timing discrepancies I’d developed.
And I play for dances.
>Ailin. It’s not a matter of "constantly succumbing to the pressure of not falling behind". For me, its a matter of developing the discipline of *steady* timing - not getting too fast, (which is easy to do with ITM, I find).

Good luck, then.

Posted by .

Cheers, Peter Berner!
In a similar way I think Aaron’s post is vital for anyone who is interested in keeping a steady beat. Also, regarding Alan’s reply, I think too often it’s assumed that drum loops control the person practicing with them as though they cannot be used for effective practice to improve a player’s timing.

For the OP, I am not familiar enough with Windows apps so I cannot advice you there. Aside from that whenever this question comes up Jim Dorans brings up Acoustica Beatcraft; though it is not free. Also I have seen posts with the Mark Stone bodhran tutorial which callison posted.

I found this online but only because I just Googled - https://html5drummachine.com/virtual-drum-machine/

Additional reading:
Re: Inner metronome
Posted by Jerone, LoM October 10, 2014
https://thesession.org/discussions/34845#comment739283

Posted by .

To be clear, mechanical time keepers are typically used to accompany lessons that teach the basics of playing from written music. What I think the op is looking for is a mechanical bodhran player. Basic 6/8 timekeeping will not help you to play jigs. If the op is new to playing music of any type, this person is likely to get into trouble trying to play against a drum loop. Why not take my suggestion, or get some proper musical training if playing in time is a challenge?

Posted by .

thanks for the suggestions I’ll have a look at beatcraft and hydrogen

Get a metronome

Wow thanks for the Celtic beat recommendation, dfost ! I have been searching some like this for years :)
I found it on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0leJieFsN0

Does someone maybe know something like this, but only with guitar/bouzuki accompaniment for some tunes?

There is an album available on iTunes, and possibly elsewhere, called "The Irish Beat Conductor".
It contains 66 percussion tracks (mp3) played at different speeds from (1) slow to (5) fast.
As it states on the cover " develop a Jig, Reel, Hornpipe, Waltz, Mazurka and March and develop a steady and lively rhythm." If you look up the album on iTunes you can hear samples before you buy.
Maybe worth a look.
Cheers.

>is that it?
>it looks interesting but they don’t let you try it before buying?

Yes, that’s the one. Not sure if it used to be free or I’ve just misremembered. There are various Youtube reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cm-Q9dTaUY

It is more rock & pop orientated, but I find it useful nonetheless. Common time is common time.

As for the fear of being rendered unmusically accurate in my playing, I am afraid I have yet to hear of such a musician ruined in their prime by being unmusically precise, and I would be interested to hear a recording of such a being.

Posted by .

//anyone know of a good app or a Windows software that has basic 4/4 and 6/8 drum loops which can be used for practising jigs and reels?//

Hi Yooval,

A while back, I prepared a set of loops in jig time and reel time, with 6 tempos for each - 12 in total. They are quantised (human-ised), with cue-in intros, ideal for playing on a PC or any mobile device. The software was " Acoustica Beatcraft", using about 5 elements of the drumkit

Message me if you want the free links to them on Dropbox.

A word about the earlier mixed messages re playing along with "canned" accompaniment - these tracks are specifically designed to enforce discipline, and whilst they are not the same as playing with a live person/band, they are much more effective than a metronome, and for very good reasons.