Where (else) could one sell a box

Where (else) could one sell a box

I’ve been struggling to sell this C#/D accordion and not having much luck. A friend posted it on melodeon.net and I’ve used Chiff and Fipple and eBay, but is there an uilleannobsession equivalent for accordion players? Anywhere else that could be useful that I don’t know about?

I’ve had four or five people contact me, asking me if the box was still available, and then stating that they wanted a B/C accordion. So why message about a C#/D? Reminds me of when I was selling a horse, a four-year old gelding who had been under saddle for about eight months, which I made crystal clear in the ad, and I had quite a few people email me to tell me that he looked like a nice horse, but they wanted an older horse with more experience. That’s cool, but why did you email me about my green-as-grass four-year old in the first place? I really am mystified by this behaviour.

Re: Where (else) could one sell a box

You can try on Facebook, there’s an Irish button accordion group there.

Posted by .

I have a friend who breaks eventers, and my goodness the stories she has about tire-kickers and the rest (would this 16.2 experienced hunter be suitable for my 11yo novice? etc). I can only conclude that people are, in the main, idiots.

I’m thinking that C#/D is more popular in Ireland, so you might be onto something advertising on Irish sites, which I know nothing about but donedeal seems popular.

Your best bet is probably selling it on consignment with a dealer - with the best will in the world buying a box from someone who isn’t a box player is a bit of a risk - why are they selling it, do they even own it, is it real, etc. Theo Gibb seems to be your man in the UK, but again maybe an Irish dealer could get a better price for it.

Posted by .

If it’s a three or four voice LMM or LMMM and tuned wet, I know someone looking for such a C#/D box…

Using my phone I typed up a lengthy reply and lost it.
Short version- people are stupid.
Place an ad. Say 100 whatever.
Prick rings - whats the best ye can do?
Me - 200
Prick- What? Ye said 100
Me- Aye. So ye did read the ad.
Prick- Well you don’t need to be like that!
Me - I do. The price is stated.
Prick - But I want to know your lowest price!
Me - You’ve seen it on the ad
Prick - What’s the least you’ll take?
Me - Don’t try to bargain without seeing. If you’re half serious come and have a look.

Using my phone I typed up a lengthy reply and lost it.
Short version- people are stupid.
Place an ad. Say 100 whatever.
Prick rings - whats the best ye can do?
Me - 200
Prick- What? Ye said 100
Me- Aye. So ye did read the ad.
Prick- Well you don’t need to be like that!
Me - I do. The price is stated.
Prick - But I want to know your lowest price!
Me - You’ve seen it on the ad
Prick - What’s the least you’ll takr

If it doesn’t sell, drop the price…. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but - as I understand from reading about the instrument on melodeon.net and looking at the photos posted there (I can only see the reedblocks, no pics of the complete instrument) - it isn’t quite as desirable as the description "1960s Paolo Soprani C#/D" would at first suggest.

It seems be a conversion (presumably from a G/C or similar tuning) featuring a mix of Paolo Soprani and other reeds. There is no indication as to where the Paolo reeds came from, and what their original tuning was. Also the reedblocks show that it has a 21-button treble keyboard rather than 23, and someone suggested that the original keyboard may have been stepped and converted to flat (they may have been able to see photos of the complete instrument that for some reason I cannot).

If it were an 1960s 23-button 3-voice Paolo Soprani in its original tuning, with the original reeds, then I think it would fetch your asking price and quite possibly more. If nobody is rushing to snap it up, I think the above info. explains why.

Definitely try the facebook group. If it sounds good and plays well, a video clip of a good player putting it through its paces would certainly help you find a buyer.

Once again posting from my phone is iffy.
Do please excuse me!

May just be a hard market for C#/D in Scotland? I dunno. I am a C#/D player, and would, in the abstract, love your box, and have seen your listings on multiple sites now, I think. But even besides not having the money handy to buy it, I would really hesitate to spend $2,200+ on a box I’d not had a chance to play. Especially when every other used box I’ve ever gotten required repairs/adjustments equal to 50% - 200% of the purchase price. (It’s not that I don’t trust DrSilverSpear in general — I assume it’s very well taken care of — but I don’t trust it to be set up the way I’d like it to be set up.)

I’ve already dropped the price to £1800 but would go to £1600 if anyone is interested. The guy who does a lot of the Irish accordion stuff for the local Comhaltas chapter did tell me B/C was the main thing around here and there wouldn’t be much interest in C#/D in Comhaltas circles. My ex chose to learn C#/D because it was slightly off the beaten track, but man, I wish he’d gone for B/C.

A fella in Ireland contacted me about it, only to say that he would want to try the box — fair enough — and that was a problem because it was in Scotland. I don’t know why people email me to tell me these things.

Michael, it is a wet-tuned LMM box.

Stiamh, we worked out the basses are ’50s Paolo reeds, and the rest are new Italian reeds, put in by the chap who converted it from G/C. When he opened the box, we saw that he wrote down everything he did do it. It was changed from a stepped keyboard to a flat one. Anyway, I did make a video of my pal playing it. He’s mainly a piper/flute player but can knock out a few tunes on the box, better than I can.

Just wondering which Facebook group is referred to above. There is one called "Melnet", which is an offshoot of the website melodeon.net. Probably gives you better "exposure" in terms of being able to show photos and video clips of the box you are selling, tho maybe fewer total members than of the website forum, and only reaching those Facebook users who have joined the group.
If it has not gone by January (and I hope it has!) you may be able to interest one of the official traders who have stalls at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall during Celtic Connections to display and sell it for you. No doubt they’d want their commission, though. At least one of them seems to sell accordions of all types: sorry, can’t remember the name!
Otherwise maybe try contacting Theo Gibb (Newcastle) or Pete Grassby (? Yorkshire) direct, to see if they have anyone looking for a C# /D.
Further pm coming your way.

Theo Gibb’s website: https://theboxplace.co.uk/
Pete Grassby is based further south than I thought: Coventry, and doesn’t seem to have an active website.

Since I’ve been mentioned a few times I though I would chip in.
There are some C#/D players in England, but not as many as there are BC players, so selling any C#D box here requires patience. I think the same applies to Scotland. There is not a queue of potential buyers waiting to be tempted by the right price. If you need to sell quickly put it on ebay with a low start price and let the market decide on a price. If you are in for the long game then maintain your adverts on FB, melodeon.net, gumtree and anywhere else you can think of and wait it out.

I agree with the bulk of the points made above, particularly about potential buyers wanting to try first, which is acutely true of a box that has been extensively modified.

And follow up Michael Eskin’s interest. He is a genuine chap.

It doesn’t help that my technical knowledge of accordions probably amounts to less than my technical knowledge of brain surgery. A chap called me last night asking what the soundboard was made out of. Wood or aluminum? I apologised and said I play the pipes, and I had no idea what that even meant.

The time pressure is somewhat off now. It doesn’t have to be gone by the end of the month, so I can afford to be patient.

Dr SS - the soundboard means the board that the reedblocks are mounted on. Wood in older models, aluminium in newer ones.

It’s not really a soundboard in the way that the table of a fiddle or guitar is, and some say that as a result the material makes no difference to the sound.

But others think that it does make a difference and that wood is better. Particularly where old Paolo Sopranis are concerned.

The part in question on the box you are selling is wood :-)

There are reselling apps like Depop and Mercari, but I don’t know how much of an audience there would be for accordion stuff.

Balls. The guy was pushing me to say something and wouldn’t take ‘I don’t have a clue’ as an answer. He presumably had access to the same pictures as Stiamh. I took a guess, with the caveat that I was guessing, and said aluminum because I saw metal things inside the box, which were probably the reed themselves. Whoops. So I was both wrong and guessed the least desirable thing.

A friend of mine died and his wife tried to get rid of his box according, after some time had passed with no luck, on of his friends told her to go down to the seadiest part of town and put it in the back seat and leave all the windows open. When she came back two hours later ther was three more boxes in the back seat. Lol

Oh John….!!
That really tickled me :)