Tune ID

Tune ID

Recently heard this one at a session, could anyone help with the name? Apparently it’s Gaelic.

X: 1
T: Gan Ainm
R: polka
M: 2/4
L: 1/8
K: Amin
Q: 1/4 = 150
|: A2 BA | GE EG | DE GA | BA AG |
A2 BA | GE EG | d>e dB |1 BA AG :|2 BA AB ||
|: d2 e2 | GG G2 | d2 e2 | BA A2 |
d2 e2 | GG GE | DE GA |1 BA AB :|2 BA AG ||

Had no luck finding it after a few note searches (both here and with Tunepal), in Amin/Bmin/Emin.

Re: Tune ID

I recognise it, but it’s not coming to me yet… Julie Fiowis maybe?

>I recognise it

Same! It’s a relative of Eoghainn and his boat of twenty oars, but there are other words to it.

Posted by .

Thanks Nigel and Calum.

Checking out Julie Fowlis again helped figure it out, remembered the person saying it’s name, but, being Gaelic it wasn’t easy for me to actually catch the name. Had something like "fear … [word with a b or c or k]", which I assumed I was spelling wrong. Apparently not (some of Julie’s tunes had "fear" in it).

Searched for "fear", and here it is:
https://thesession.org/tunes/14032

Good to know! And thanks, I’ll check them out.

Since NfldWhistler you were asking about performance of FolkFriend vs Tunepal, I thought this would be a good comparison! Just fiddled and piano-accordioned your tune above into FolkFriend and it correctly picked up "The Corrie Man" both times no trouble at all. No such luck whistling it into FolkFriend though, although admittedly my D whistle is horribly out of tune which does affect the results!

Thanks Tom!

I wonder why Tunepal couldn’t get it? The abc’s I had were pretty close to the ones posted here, unless maybe Tunepal hasn’t updated its’ database for a few years.