FolkFriend - A *free new app* for recognising tunes by audio

FolkFriend - A *free new app* for recognising tunes by audio

For more information check out >>> https://folkfriend.app/info <<<
Or just load it up yourself at >>> https://folkfriend.app <<<

Some time ago when I was learning lots of new tunes I became frustrated at constantly having to ask names of tunes I liked during sessions, I thought it’d be fun and rewarding to set about tackling the problem of automatically recognising a tune from audio recordings.

And so I built an app to do this - which I called FolkFriend!

Fast forward two and a half years and I’m FINALLY at the stage where I’m ready for FolkFriend to be used by the general public. I’ve been testing out the various components, for around a year now, and have been very grateful to a small number of my friends who’ve been testing the app for me on various devices to try and ensure FolkFriend runs smoothly on mobiles, both Android and iOS, and computers / laptops alike.

I became aware very early on (as soon as I shared my what-I-thought-was-original idea with a friend in a pub at a session!) that a service to do exactly this (Bryan Duggan’s TunePal) already exists, but I enjoy a challenge so decided so go ahead and make my own version anyway, and aimed to improve on what was already available on the market. FolkFriend was entirely my own design with no copying of any of TunePal’s approaches, and as such it performs very differently - most notably I specifically designed FolkFriend for use in sessions, although it also works fine with solo instruments. Since FolkFriend was designed from the ground up with playing in sessions in mind, it’s a lot more noise robust and handles sessions a lot better than other software.

Another massive benefit of FolkFriend is that it runs entirely offline, completely on your device. It runs as an app like any other, installed on your phone or laptop, except you view it through a web browser such as Google Chrome. This means you won’t find it on Apple’s App Store or Google’s Play Store. Once you’ve loaded it up once, you can search for any tune that’s on thesession.org by playing an instrument into it, playing a recording off Youtube or Spotify into it, tapping record in the middle of a session, or just searching by name - forever - never needing to connect to the internet again! When you do have internet FolkFriend will update in the background without you ever needing to do anything, to keep tunes and software up to date.

And all this is completely for free with no advertisements or any other commercial tie-ups! Think it sounds too good to be true? Try it just now!

To download and run the app simply visit >>> https://folkfriend.app <<<
To read more information >>> https://folkfriend.app/info <<<

Disclaimers!
- I want to make it clear that this is the first time I’ve made this project public and so there probably will be some teething issues with the app working on various devices… if you are on an older device there is a good chance that some of the fancy features used in the app simply won’t be available on your device and it probably won’t work :(
- In addition to this, while I’ve spent many months smoothing things out I’m sure there’s still bits of the app that will break in ways I hadn’t considered! To that end I’d really really appreciate any feedback whatsoever, even it’s just "it’s rubbish and doesn’t work on X device". Either comment below or email feedback@folkfriend.app. It’d be especially useful if you say what device / browser / FolkFriend version you’re using so I can fix problems more easily.
- FolkFriend works a lot better in some conditions and with some instruments than others, currently plucked instruments like banjos, whistles, and violas all seem to struggle a little more than others. I’ve been working on improving this but have decided my existing implementation is good enough for people to start using whilst I continue to improve things in response to feedback!

Please let me know what you think!

Re: FolkFriend - A *free new app* for recognising tunes by audio

Welcome Tom!

This looks interesting. Congrats on completing the first part of your project.

I’ll get a better idea after trying it out for a while, but for now, could you give us your thoughts on a few questions? These come to mind:

- Could you go into more detail about the differences and similarities to TunePal?
- Although it can be used offline, will there be an option to update the tune database? New tunes and settings are posted here daily, and probably other sites as well.
- How does it perform when there’s a lot of background going on? Things like chords, or melody instruments playing slightly different version of the tunes? You mentioned it performs well in sessions, so could you give a few examples of when it works best vs. not-as-well?

Obfuscated all the code… :-(

Being honest Michael that seems fair enough to me. To most of us it’s a load of gobbledygook anyway. I’m not at the forefront of the information age but if I’d spent a couple of years developing something I’d want to keep every grasping tech nerd at arms length from my efforts too.

"currently plucked instruments like banjos, whistles, and violas all seem to struggle a little more than others. "

You’re not going to find me plucking my whistle. Certainly not in public.

Posted by .

I’ve added it to my home page on my iphone, tried recording and it has got stuck forever downloading tunes…..

I tried it out with tin whistle and flute, and it just doesn’t work at all. Windows 7.

Ceoltas if you try opening it in a conventional browser rather than from home page does the issue persist? There’s an issue mentioned (maybe not prominently enough) that affects iPhones with Apple dragging their heels supporting some functionality to drive people towards their much more profitable and expensive app store… could be related to this. Also, what version of iPhone are you using?

Thanks for the comment NfldWhistler! Here’s some answers to your questions

TunePal / FolkFriend pros and cons:
+ FolkFriend can work in sessions and figure out the tune being played, where TunePal usually struggles (FolkFriend also works fine solo most instruments)
+ FolkFriend can work without internet connection once installed
+ FolkFriend is free!
- TunePal does have a larger selection of tunes, as currently FolkFriend uses only thesession. (but if people are really keen I can up the number of tunes in the future)
- TunePal seems to work a lot better with whistles (this was what it was designed for) whereas FolkFriend often struggles to recognise whistles. It’s worth noting I am well aware of this and adjusting my approaches to make it better with whistles and flutes, but have had a lot of people asking me for a long time to release FolkFriend so have decided to do so, even thought the results aren’t where I’d like them to be on some instruments quite yet!
- TunePal is a lot older and runs server side so the actual app is a lot more robust, whereas there’ll be bugs for me to smooth out in FolkFriend in these early days.

Updating the database
Yup! I can update the database of tunes by adding tunes to it, and push out a version update to all installed devices. This happens in the background without the user knowing (currently), and uses the previously downloaded database whilst the new one downloads so there’s a seamless transition.

How does it perform when there’s a lot of background going on?
Less well than if the tunes are solo - but usually absolutely fine. I was at a session with 40+ people (!!!) last week and despite all the accompaniment and noise it was still able to get most of the tunes. That being said, if you’re penned into a corner by an extremely loud guitar player and mostly all you can hear is chords, it probably won’t work. FolkFriend can handle a reasonable amount of melody variations too.

As I said previously and as hnorbeck has discovered it does struggle a lot more with whistles (it *should* be better with flutes though), hnorbeck are you using the microphone built into your laptop? If so it’s probably not a terribly high quality microphone, combined with an instrument FolkFriend currently isn’t so strong at is probably resulting in poor results :(

Definitely doesn’t like whistle. I played several very well known tunes and it didn’t come close. I played ‘Boys of Bluehill’ and it came out with 9.7% ‘The Lighthouse’ a reel in B dorian and lots of other tunes. I firstly put it on my laptop and it didn’t recognise the Mic.(windows) I then put it on my phone (Android) where it did recognise the Mic.
This obviously is a criticism but I also think it’s a great idea and will keep track of any progress and hopefully it will recognise whistles in the future. I would be interested if it has worked for any other whistle players because it could be something I am doing wrong, being a bit crap at all things technical!

Cheers.

Posted by .

Thanks for that Fizzit - I don’t think it’s anything you’re doing wrong, by far the best results are from playing Fiddle / Accordion or similar instruments and unfortunately whistles don’t work so well with the current version. I definitely plan on having it work well with whistles in the future but for now it performs poorly with whistles!

I used an external microphone.
Doesn’t work, whereas Tunepal works fine with the same microphone.

Must just be the whistle that it doesn’t like then, hnorbeck. I’m working to improve FolkFriend’s performance with whistles since there’s many whistlers on the session, although relatively few at sessions I play at which is probably why I’ve not come across it as such a big issue before now.

Looking forward to testing this out. However, on each of my three browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari) on my IOS device (iphone 7, ios 12.4.1) I get the message: "Couldn’t access the microphone".
I do often use the Tunepal app (with the problems you mention re: noisy sessions). I also went to the browser version of Tunepal and pressed Record. An IOS message appeared asking me to give access to the microphone. Perhaps you need something like this? Or maybe I just can’t find a setting to allow the microphone access to FolkFriend.

Anyway, thanks for the effort. If it does a  better job than Tunepal in noisy sessions, you’re on to something!

I’m using a 6s. From the home screen I now get the message that my (safari) browser might be out of date and it won’t give access to the internal mic. Same with direct from the browser.

Walt S. - thanks very much for that feedback, I’m looking into it running on iOS Safari ASAP. I made some big changes to smooth micrphone usage out and tested them on iOS yesterday morning and they all worked great - but this was an iOS 11 version. It’s possible the changes I made broke the microphone on iOS 12… it worked last week on iOS 12 so I’m sure I can fix it soon!

Ceoltas - what version of iOS / Safari are you running (they’re tied to be the same version)? If it’s anything pre-11 it genuinely will be an out of date browser I’m pretty sure

I wasn’t able to get it working on my iPhone X running iOS 13, had the microphone issue in both Safari and Chrome. Seemed to do somewhat better in the Dolphin browser but although it reported it was downloading the database, it displayed no progress indicator and I eventually closed the browser after a couple of minutes.

While I was not able to try it, a few questions did come to mind.

How big is the database approximately? should in install in seconds or minutes and how much storage space will it use on my phone.

I didn’t see anything about deleting the database. Assuming the database successfully installs, how do you remove it from your phone if you no longer want the App?

Relates to that, the user apparently installs some element of the App itself on the phone that permits them to use it without Internet and also to accept remotely initiated database updates. How how do you delete that element if you no longer want the App?

Im running IOS 12.4.1

I highly suggest making it open source, even if you someday plan to monetize it. Let others work to improve it. Andrew Mowry did this with the WARBL hardware design, firmware, and controller app, and it really opened up what was possible.

To all the iPhone users, I’m aware of an issue that has broken audio recording on iOS 12 / 13 and I’m working to get that fixed this evening! I released a large update several days ago and had only tested on iOS 11 before releasing the update…

Regarding various questions people have asked in this thread about the app:

The database is 4.79 MB - this is approximately the size of one high quality selfie. It should download in 2-3 seconds if you have a reasonable WiFi connection, or perhaps take around 20 - 30 seconds on slow mobile data connections.

With regards to removing FolkFriend from your phone, if your device gets low on storage it will automatically get deleted by the browser, because it’s a "progressive web app" (PWA) that runs entirely in browser. All the offline functionality and such other questions aren’t unique to FolkFriend and I’d encourage anyone who’s interested to read https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/. I’m happy to answer any other questions if at feedback@folkfriend.app but I’d rather avoid an in-depth technical discussion in this thread.

Finally I would like to make the whole project open source at some point; I personally have other friends who are musicians who’ve said they want to help. I want FolkFriend however to be at a point I’m content with before opening it up though, and I’m afraid until then I’m obliged to obfuscate my work due to the client side nature of all the code. I don’t ever plan to monetise the project, and would rather it just existed to help people learn traditional music.

Why are you obliged to obfuscate the client side code?

Otherwise Michael, anybody could download 2.5 years of work and reupload it to another server in about 10 minutes and then start selling my work.

Tom, I’m getting good results with this, using Windows 7 and Chrome. I’m playing back a recording from a session then feeding it back in using a good quality microphone and a USB connected mixer.

Good to hear johndsamuels! I tried to post twice already saying I’ve fixed an issue on iOS but it doesn’t seem to be going through, not sure what’s happening there… in any case, the problems on iOS 12 / 13 should now be cleared up and it should work, if anyone is still having problems please let me know!

I used Tunepal a lot and as a flute player I will continue to use it. Also It’s great to have an other app that works differently if the first one fails to recognize the tune.

I just tried it with a few tunes (not played by myself but from recordings on YouTube) and it matched everytime! I remember Tunepal struggles to identify tunes played by the same device that is used to record, so that’s a good point for Folkfriend.

I was wondering if we can access to the mp3 that is recorded by the app? Because let’s say you use the app during a session and then it doesn’t find the tune, I would still appreciate having the mp3 so I could perhaps ask someone what tune is it afterwards?

Glad to hear you’re enjoying both FolkFriend and TunePal Damien, I think that’s your suggestion is a great idea, and not something that’s ever occurred to me before. The app doesn’t actually record an audio file under the hood, it just stores up the raw audio and does all it’s processing on it once recording is finished, but it would be fairly straightforward to have a ‘download last recording’ button that encodes that data into an mp3 file.

I’m just getting an error in Firefox browser on Windows 8.1

Posted by .

Well done, thank you! Running it on Android 9 (Samsung S9) and Chrome. I’ve given it a short trial of recordings I’ve taken from classes, so no background interference. Results have been around 95% accurate with banjo/fiddle duo, 40-50% accurate with flute or whistle. That’s certainly more reliable than I’ve experienced on other software.

I forwarded the error message to the feedback email address.

Posted by .

That’s great to hear All Moldy - you’re probably getting results as good as they get since I have developed the whole app testing on my Android 9 S9 with Chrome! AB, I’m looking into running the app in Firefox now to investigate any issues.

Hi,

It looks quite good so far (after 5 minutes of testing) here’s my feeback

1/ Doesn’t work on Linux, doesn’t recognise the microphone….
2/ Works on Android
3/ it finds the alternative settings on thesession.org (that’s big advantage over tunepal, especially when the first setting on thesession is in a different key or the first setting is not great. eg it finds Devanny’s goat in Cmaj for example.
4/ it works much better for noisy recordings and has worked so far for three noisy recording that tunepal won’t find.

Some initial ideas for improvement…
1/ I don’t know how difficult it would be, but would there be anyway of making it key independent so when you have sessions in C or Eb it would find the tunes, or if the tune was played in a different key it would find the tune.
2/ it would be great to have a link to the thesession.org page when it finds the tune or just give the tune reference id 2881 = Devanney’s Goat
3/ Any way of making the ABC larger and more visible when you do find the tune and also make the alternative tune names larger or more visible.
4/ Would also be helpful to be able to play the tune that was found (eg Midi) to verify it’s the correct one.

Thanks, Tom. I look forward to giving it a try. Is anyone else using Firefox browser?

Posted by .

Thanks Theirlandais, making tune searches key independent, for various reasons, is something I definitely want to implement and I’ve spent a considerable amount of time over the Summer thinking about alternative approaches that would also include key-independence. I decided to prioritise working on the app rather than the actual recognition software before I don’t have much time to work on FolkFriend again.

With regards to your feedback, I’m sad it doesn’t work on linux but that should be pretty easy to debug and fix as I can easily access a linux device… unlike trying to debug for iOS where without an Apple device it’s nigh on impossible. Adding in a link to the session would be pretty trivial so I’ve put that on my todo list, and playing back tunes by MIDI is another big item that people will generally want (unsurprisingly) and is on my todo list too! I’ll also tweak the formatting to make those text items you mention bigger since they are rather small, now that you mention it.

And AB, Safari + Chrome makes up about 80% of traffic share, but around the next 10% seems to use Firefox so I will be sure to get Firefox fixed ASAP.

"Otherwise Michael, anybody could download 2.5 years of work and reupload it to another server in about 10 minutes and then start selling my work"

Makes sense!

Deleted comment.

Posted by .

Tom, haven’t tried it yet, but plan to. About key independence, how much of a technical nightmare would it be to implement theme codes, as used by the Traditional Tune Archive or Alan Snyder’s Cape Breton Fiddle Recording Index? I find theme codes usually produce good results (even if you do have to thumb through results to find the correct tune sometimes), and I think implementing theme code recognition could be a start to key-independent recognition. I wonder if there’s a way to generate one from an ABC file, or how difficult designing some sort of program to do that would be.

Thanks for the interesting point Daniel - theme codes as used in dictionaries are probably not the most efficient way for me to implement my search simply because it’s rather difficult to have FolkFriend work out from a recording where the start of say the A part is. FolkFriend is designed to be able to listen to a tune from halfway through and still know what it is - however the search algorithm used is pretty reminiscent of theme codes and with regards to key independance, I am implementing a similar approach to theme codes for searching the dataset and it’s interesting to note the similarity of approaches.

I’ve also just fixed an issue with FolkFriend that was causing Firefox users to be told ‘no music heard’ in all their recordings, due to Firefox reporting microphone sample rate differently. Firefox seems to be a little slow with updating FolkFriend so you might need to wait a little bit and refresh the page a few times before it decides to update - be sure you’re on at least v1.2.4 if you’re using Firefox from now on!

Tom, I sent the error message to the feedback email address. Did you get it?
When I go to the https://folkfriend.app page and click on the microphone the following
text displays at the bottom of the page.
"Please wait while FolkFriend finishes downloading tunes"

Posted by .

I threw a bunch of tunes at it on tenor guitar, and it didn’t get a single one right (iPhone X running iOS 13.0 in Safari). TunePal has a similar issue with plectrum instruments and their lack of sustain… But I applaud your efforts! It’s quite an undertaking to do it completely in a browser! There are a few suggestions that I have:

1. It seems to get confused sometimes with what it is doing. When I tried recording multiple times, I have had it go to results when I’ve only played a note or two, and then several seconds later, it comes back and says that the recording limit was reached, even though it was on the results view. So there appears to be some ability for it to not transition properly between recording, searching, and displaying results. This could possibly be solved by being more explicit in the code as to what it’s doing at the moment, and shutting off the other stuff explicitly…

2. It could really use a spinner or some other visual element when it’s searching. It’s a bit weird that the screen goes basically blank, and then there are a few seconds before the results appear.

3. It could ultimately use a player, because not everyone reads music well enough to be able to tell if the results are correct.

Anyway, I’ll be curious to see how this progresses in the future!

Also the back arrow in Firefox doesn’t take me back to thesession.org

Ben

Posted by .

AB, I’ve unfortunately had to disable the back arrow taking you any further back than the main screen of folkfriend due to the fact that on Android devices in standalone-app mode the back button closes down the app when it gets to the ‘bottom of the stack’ rather than ‘defocusing’ it and putting it in the background, so that is the expected behaviour although it is not ideal. I have replied to all the emails I recieved about errors so if you’ve not recieved one back I presume it didn’t come through, could you please try again?

Reverend thanks for the feedback, sounds like there’s multiple concurrent requests happening. I did put in a check to stop this from happening last week but sounds like something is slipping through the net, and also Iappreciate the feedback on a loading spinner, that has been on my todo list for months and I’ll try and get to it soon! (same situation for midi playback). What I am very pleased to hear though is that audio recording is now working on iPhone by the sounds of things!

Tom, I got it sorted. It’s just not going to work on my system the way I have my Asus tablet setup.
Thanks for your help. I have an Amazon tablet which I rarely use. I’ll break it out this weekend
and check out your FolkFriend PWA. It should work better on there. The Amazon browser is called Silk.
But I can can try a couple of things and send you feedback. I did get your email response. Cheers!

Ben

Posted by .

Hi Tom,

"I threw a bunch of tunes at it on tenor guitar, and it didn’t get a single one right"

I’m not sure if there is any solution to the above problem for your application or tunepal, but I’m sure some Banjo players would be happy if they had a solution.

Is there any recommendation for how you might up the chances of getting a hit with these types of instruments.

Theirlandais, probably the best advice I can give is to try and reduce the amount of background noise as much as possible, and to perhaps play a little slower and make sure you’re in a ‘conventional’ octave that eg the fiddle might play in. Even still, I wouldn’t have particularly high hopes for performance of FolkFriend with these instruments just yet. I am aware though of the shortcomings of FolkFriend with several types of instruments, and am actively working to improve it, so I hope that soon it’ll perform much better with whistles, banjos, and guitars!

Here a clip, it’s about as slow and clear as it can get https://youtu.be/lkFqpWrLpjY?t=11 are you able to recognise the tune using FolkFriend or do I have a setup issue ?

I played a few tunes on mandolin to the app on an android tablet and every tune got recognized with a confidence of 50% to 60%. With fiddle i had the same results. Banjo didn’t really works.
Also with octave mandolin i got no results. Given that mandolin works well, maybe its plucked Instruments with low frequency like tenor guitar, banjo, octave mandolin that have a problem.

I made another test. Octave mandolin with a capo on 12th fret, so an octave higher, works well like the mandolin. On banjo with a capo on 12th fret i got no results.

Thanks for that DetlefS - that isn’t that surprising considering the algorithm works with absolute pitches and is octave sensitive. Good to hear about the mandolin+ capo test though, as I’ve said I’m aware of this shortcoming and want to improve it in future :)

Yippie! Finally got Folk Friend loaded. I only have it in the browser for now & plan to check it out this weekend. Had to use my Amazon tablet w/Fire OS. Mozilla Firefox on this tablet is a bit of a workaround. Long story…
But the installed (Silk) browser worked good enough. So it works, I just need time this weekend to look under
the hood.

Thank you, Mr. Wyllie. ;

Posted by .

So far no luck using the built in microphone. I play whistle and flute. Also not working from recordings of other instruments. Do I need to use a separate microphone, different instrument…?

Posted by .

As I mentioned earlier AB, it’s likely a problem with FolkFriend not working very well with whistle yet. Tunes on the flute should work though and some people in the thread earlier have had success with flute. If you’ve tried recording using clean audio of a fiddle or accordion playing not too fast and in the right key that matches a tune on the session and it’s still not working then it’s probably a microphone issue. What recordings have you tried so far?

If it’s absolute pitch based, wouldn’t it be expected to have trouble with high D whistle much like the issues with octave mandolin?

Exactly correct Michael, and this is why it’s not very good with whistle either! You’ll be pleased to hear though I’m improving FolkFriend to work with all octaves, and my initial steps using recordings of whistles and banjo already show quite a bit of progress, so I’m cautiously optimistic it’ll eventually work fine for whistle / banjo.

Using a whistle into an Android, I’m finding it much faster (hurrah) but less accurate (sigh) than TunePal. Work in progress, will keep watching. Can Alexa or Siri parse tunes?

Posted by .

Glad to hear you’re at least enjoying the speed of FolkFriend pgm3, I’m working on significant improvements to the service for other instruments and so the accuracy should greatly increase to be in line with that of other instruments on the app soon! Unfortunately FolkFriend doesn’t work with Alexa or Siri, and neither service provides the same functionality as FolkFriend does, not yet anyway…

Hello, Tom. I did try different things but still not having any/much success.
When you have the next version I’ll try again. Can I keep checking the info page to find out
if there is a new version down the road?

It’s mostly my system. I would prefer to use Windows 8.1 w/Mozilla, though it works on the Amazon w/Fire OS. Unfortunately the Amazon tablet does not make it easy to use an external mic.

Since I kept running up against issues w/FolkFriend I spent some of my weekend using Tunepal on my Windows tablet. This is the most I have used Tunepal. To be honest it’s great. It seems to work very well for flute; which is my main instrument. FWIW Tunepal works on both my devices & all three browsers which I use. I don’t have Chrome. But if you make some changes so FolkFriend works better for flute I might need to install a Chrome browser. Keep us posted.

Sorry it’s a bust for now. Thank you though because I didn’t know before how well Tunepal works. It’s amazing. Also, getting out my mic I began recording myself. I have not done that in awhile. I’ll just say it’s an eye-opener to hear myself recorded. I’m improving incrementally & I want to apologise to all my session mates who have heard me playing before. I promise to keep improving by recording & listening to myself.

Cheers,
Ben

Posted by .

Another feedback from me. I attended a workshop weekend with lots of sessions the last days and i tried out the app there. Every tune where i wanted to know the name was recognized. The setting was mostly fiddle, flute and concertina near me, but even a tune played by flute alone got recognized and a tune played only by two concertinas. I used the app on a smartphone with android.
So it seems so, that your app is the to go for app in sessions now for me.
Cheers and have a good craig
Detlef