Can’t stop playing this one

Can’t stop playing this one

Fiddlers, what is that one tune that you can’t stop playing over and over again once you’ve started it ? Mine’s Dan R MacDonald’s strathspey ‘Miss Ann MacNamara’.
Thank you for that one, Mr Kinnon Beaton!

Re: Can’t stop playing this one

There are certainly tunes that I will play 5-6 times around in a session if they’re sounding really good. But that’s just situational, not necessarily because of the tune itself, but more of how it’s being played. If everybody is really tight and the tune has lovely lift and drive, then I will often keep playing it for a bit.

A separate issue is tunes that "grab their own tail" (for example, there are tunes that don’t resolve in the last part, and the resolution is gotten by starting the first part again…) I play several tunes like that, and I have written some as well. The only example I can think of off the top of my head is The Mystery Reel. Tunes like that make it very difficult to find a way into another tune without leaving the listener hanging, so they’re often played at the end of a set so that you can just tack a resolve onto the end one way or another… Or you find a way to resolve it by the end of the tune so you can move on…

I will sometimes fixate on a great tune that I just learned, but I try not to pull it out at every session, because that can get monotonous, and I get kind of annoyed when people play the same tunes every session…

Well, mine is currently ‘Bean An Ti Ar Lar’ , https://thesession.org/tunes/1370 , 1st setting

A simple but quirky tune (imo), and I love it, but I don’t don’t why …

I’m working on a version in A too, as well as the common D version.

I wasn’t thinking of the session scene at all, Reverend. A rainy day in Ireland, a fiddle, lots of time on my hands, a glorious strathspey and ne’er a listener except for Rainer the cat - - ergo a licence to indulge! ps I’m not very brave/confident at sessions anyway …

Ahh, Christmas Eve, there’s only one way to get more confident at sessions, and that is to go out and play in them! I certainly get earworm tunes that won’t leave my head, and are the first tune to occur to me when I pick up an instrument. They are usually tunes that I just learned, because I might have spent a fair amount of time working on them recently. But that’s not always the case, and they’re usually swapping out fairly regularly.

There are times when I fixate on a tune for a month or two. The most recent was The Wee Boy’s Lament For His Dragon (https://thesession.org/tunes/6970). I have to admit that I was playing it a lot, and starting it at many sessions (which is good, because now a lot of people I play with know it…) What finally rescued me from that particular tune obsession was that I recorded it for my upcoming album (releasing in a couple weeks), which means I am now kind of sick of it, after all the recording, editing, and mixing! ;-)

Jim D that is an awesome tune. I love it too.

I heard a guy playing Lament For Captain MacDougall and it got totally stuck in my head. For a year or two I would find myself humming it…even now sometimes.

I’ve played it whenever I could, fitting it into gigs one way or another. It just won’t go away.

The Boy’s Lament for his Dragon is a great one indeed, Reverend.
Must look out for the Lament for Captain MacDougall also. Thanks for that, Richard D Cook.
I don’t /can’t play E Major tunes but I can imagine this one —The Farley Bridge — succumbing seamlessly to the UBS i.e.
unstoppable bow syndrome.
https://youtu.be/IxA_hCd7Jss

Oooh E Major… depending on the tune’s range I would play that in D position on an E whistle, or in G position on a B whistle. All the pipers with B sets would be on that tune.

Lament For Captain MacDougall is piobaireachd, ceol mor, and not for the faint of heart. But the urlar is one of the most tuneful and beautiful in that genre, and the first variation is just as lovely.

I struggle with tinkers daughter or maybe Broderick’s? I play it too often and I don’t even know what tune it is.

The other one is 3 part Galway reel that seems to have a mind of its own. Don’t really know the name of it also.

The other tune that gets stuck in my head is tune similar to “flowers of sweet dunmull”

Posted by .

Hurlocks Reel (Tom Anderson). It’s a rather repetitive tune but it never fails to cheer ME up.

Beid, I’m not talking about struggling with a tune, but rather loving it so much that I can’t bear to wrap it up!

I learned The Kylebrack Rambler from Martin Dowling at Willie Week this year and It’s definitely my rainy day tune at the moment. I just love those first few bars low down on the D and G strings!

Posted by .

The Kirrie Gem by Catherine Fraser - i found this tune searching for the Hills of Kaitoke which i had heard Talisk play. A friend sent me a pdf of the dots from the web and i have put them in abc format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMEtNlSqIwk

X:2
T:The Kirrie Gem
T:Catherine Fraser
L:1/8
M:none
I:linebreak $
K:D
DE | F3 G E2 A2 | D4- Ddcd | B2 cd A2 DF | GAFG EA,DE |$ F3 G E2 A2 | D2 CD B,2 CD |
B,3 A,/G,/ A,2 C2 | D6 :|$ ag | f2 d2 e2 a2 | d6 cd | B2 g2 A2 f2 | GABd ceag |$ f2 a2 e2 f2 |
d2 cd B2 cd | B2 AG A2 F2 | D6 ag |$ f2 d2 e2 a2 | d6 cd | B2 g2 A2 f2 | GABd cADE |$ F3 G EAGF | D2 CD B,2 CD | D3 A,/G,/ A,2 C2 | D6 |]

Thanks for the above.
Learned the Hills of Kaitoke this week myself. My wife asked could I just play anything else. Guess I was playing it a bit incessantly.

Posted by .

For Donna Turk,

One of the truly great pleasures in life is hearing a beautiful tune for the first time. You play this very beautifully with great musicality and feeling, and fantastic technique. Thank you for sharing this. I will now start to learn it and will play it in Belfast this week.

Beannacht Dé ar do laimh

I’m delighted with your response to Donna Turk’s playing of The Farley Bridge by Duncan Chisholm. I’m currently working on it myself , and am quite haunted by it. It’s a can’t - stopper for sure. Such a beautiful tune and such sweet playing from Donna. Míle fáilte romhat agus beannacht Dé ortsa féin!