Best music notation software for a simple melody line, entered from a piano keyboard?

Best music notation software for a simple melody line, entered from a piano keyboard?

Sorry about the long-ish title there.

I’m using Harmony Assistant at the moment, entering notes directly from a MIDI keyboard. The tunes are all my own, but from a general perspective, they resemble Irish tunes closely enough in the note groupings, keys and time sigs.

HA is good, and fast note entry is possible, if you know exactly what you are doing. It has instant sound when entering and playing back, but entering note groups like triplets and tuplets is not straightforward at all. Final rendering and printing are pernickety, and actions are not consistent.

In other words, what you see is not what you get.

Lilypond is good and easy to use, but the sound selections are poor. Basically, I just want a simple neutral piano sound. Admittedly, I am only using the free version, but would the full version ($55) be much better?

I own Finale Printmusic, again, easy to use, and pretty flexible, but they are real bar stewards for shirking on backward compatibility. Upgrade your operating system to Win 10, and the Win 7 version does not work, so you need to but the upgrade, and trust them …

I’d be interested in hearing what anyone else is using.

Thanks!

Re: Best music notation software for a simple melody line, entered from a piano keyboard?

I can’t really help with your main question, I use MuseScore, which I probably wouldn’t recommend - you can enter notes direct from a MIDI keyboard, but you still have to enter note durations manually. But all these programs have a steep learning curve, and since this is what I’ve learned I stick with it.

But if the only thing hou have against Lillypad is the sound, the problem is probably yours not Lillypad’s, it will be using the default software synth in your computer, which is probably the one built into Windows, which is naff. All you have to do is install a better software synth or even a sampler. and Lillypad or any other MIDI program can then play whatever sound you like. Since you are using a MIDI keyboard you could even route the MIDI out to it and use the keyboard’s voices.

Re: Best music notation software for a simple melody line, entered from a piano keyboard?

FL Studio allows you to input from a MIDI keyboard, and is highly recommendable.

I use ‘MusicTime de Luxe’, and although I enter notes via drag’n’drop or QWERTY, I understand it’s amenable to this being done either by virtual or real keyboard.

The application is sold by a firm called Passport (who also have another one called Encore) and is quite old. I don’t think Passport take much interest in supporting it, but I’ve been using it for years and, although it has its foibles, I find that it’s fairly straightforward and does everything I want as a folkie tune-collector/arranger.

Posted by .

Lilypond is completely open source software. There is no $55 free version. As a long time user of lilypond for serious and complex engraving work, I have no concept where that idea came from.

If people are trying to sell it somewhere that needs to be reported to the Lilypond community as it is in strict violation of the open source copyright Lilypond uses.

Lilypond can produce MIDI output. It has no sound library of it’s own. It is up to the user to provide their own MIDI instrument and playback software. Lilypond therefore has no restrictions in that area. It’s not a DAW.

Correction, there is no $55 paid version of Lilypond.

Thanks to everyone who replied :)

Andrew Bernard //Correction, there is no $55 paid version of Lilypond.//

Sorry, my mistake. I clicked on the wrong link, being impatient to try it out. See the screenshot - the first result says "Lilypond Notation…" and that’s when I clicked it for download.

As you can see, the real Lilypond is on the second link …I’m going to download that right now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2y70wob3e3iprp/lilypond-google-screenshot.JPG?dl=0

Does Lilypond use MIDI keyboard entry to create .ly files?
I never learnt the code because, well it’s not abc code.
Cheers!

Posted by .

I highly recommend Musescore. There’s a learning curve, but it’s not steep. And the answers to any questions you might come up with are easily found online. There’s no cost—except for your investment in time—and once you get the hang of it, it becomes a very useful tool for quickly writing out tunes, from simple melody lines to more elaborate arrangements with harmonies, if you’re so inclined.

I’ll 2nd or 3rd the suggestion for MuseScore. It does have a little bit of a learning curve, but there are great help documents and online forums.

-Brett