Global warming & getting to sessions (fast) w/lower emissions using electric transportation.

Global warming & getting to sessions (fast) w/lower emissions using electric transportation.

I can usually get to my local sessions in a matter of minutes since venues are mostly w/in 1-2 miles. Usuallly I take my bicycle. Instruments are easy because I play flutes & whistles. For sessions farther away I car-pool. Though none of my current session mates drives a hybrid or electric car.

So I’m going to look into inline skates. They are buzzing around Chico (my home town) more & more. Has anyone strapped on a pair, how fast are they, can I find anything good for $200? Ideally I would like a max speed of 24kph/15mph. Considering all the environmentally friendly options for arriving @sessions. So if you have found ways to get yourself to session w/low impact I would love to hear how you did it. Cheers!

If you do not know about electric-powered inline skates here is a video of someone who made a DIY set which goes 45-50kph/28-31mph. I recommend clicking through the clip to get a feeling for how fast he is going. If you watch the entire video it’s not very interesting but if you realise how fast the skates are that is very impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGHlVn4ACc4

Thank you,
Ben

Posted by .

Re: Global warming & getting to sessions (fast) w/lower emissions using electric transportation.

That’s nuts, Ben! You want to kill yourself? Ride a bike.

Posted by .

Re: Global warming & getting to sessions (fast) w/lower emissions using electric transportation.

You’d want to be a very advanced skater to try something like these. Would you use them in the wet? I second the bicycle. You can’t go wrong.

Travelling by your own electric vehicle, however small and efficient, is not going to do anything to curb global warming, since your friends will still be going in their CO2-spluttering car. You might as well carry on taking advantage of the car-sharing arrangement, share their carbon footprint and use the time in their car to persuade them of the importance of switching to electric vehicles. If it all gets too much for them and they ban you from their car, then think about the alternatives…

What sort of distances are you thinking of? 5 miles? 10? 30? 100? If you can cycle 1-2 miles then you can surely cycle 5 or 10 miles - and a max speed of 15mph is quite achievable for a casual cyclist (of course, professional cyclists will do twice that and some). Cycling distances much longer than that, unless you’re a bit of a fitness fanatic, you might find yourself too exhausted to participate fully in the session. But the idea of travelling 20 miles or more on a pair of powered roller blades… I just wonder whether it’s worth the risk to yourself and your instruments.

Ben.
Surely, you jest!!

Tesla. Biggest electric skate available.

Michelle…trust me you can go wrong on a bicycle… 😉 - twice, fiddle survived though 🙂

Does anyone here have information &/or experience w/electric skates or boards?

Creadur, actually the skates would be handy for shorter distances. They could be an excellent alternative to my bicycle and actually safer for certain (short) commutes. I’m considering all options rather than immediately ruling out potential electric transportation. I have not driven to a session in over 5 years. As far as my mates driving cars, that is there choice not mine. When I do carpool it’s usually to an area that’s not easy to get to on my bicycle. Despite the many bike paths certain areas don’t connect. Chico has bicycle lanes, trails bridges & I use a tunnel everday (sometimes several times). Still it’s a work in progress.

Posted by .

I am a product of 70s roller disco high culture. So I approve of this message, not for environmental reasons but due to matching one piece leisure suits, leg warmers and that banging 4 on the floor disco music so close to our reels.

I have tried the hover board which is like a electric skateboard with one big wheel in the middle. In line skates have two motors and two batteries which are more moving parts to break. Good thing about skate boards? You can jump off! In line skates, if things go south, you will be kissing the tar on the road to Sligo.

So, I’d say go the electric skateboard route but if you go in line skates, leisure suit and bandanna around forehead is a must. Also, keep your skate tips up, lean back, not forward. If you go the skateboard route, it’s just like Irish dancing, you are always on your heels or your toes.

When I think Irish music, I think iconic idealistic bog road setting with a whistling postman on a bike rolling through the countryside. It might take some time to get the image of AB inline skating through downtown Chico with a neon leisure suit and bandanna. You are challenging our preconceived notions and for that, I thank you. Love this post.

Posted by .

I fire up my 3/4 ton diesel pickup and drive to the session. Snowing? Doesn’t stop me I drive right through it. Broken down Prius’s? I drive over them. Tree huger protesting? I put in the number 5 tune and belch black smoke. Peta? I feel bad, buy a veggie burger and pile on the bacon.

I would opt for a bicycle or the over here very popular electric bicycle (not to be confused with a pedelec that goes even faster and ain’t allowed on bicycle lanes). Electric bicycles don’t do all the work as you still have to actually cycle yourself but you miss any resistance of wind and elevation which makes it easier to travel longer miles.

I used to skate (inline) back and forth to work a few summers ago. 7 Miles each way. It was great fun, good exercise, and exciting. Nothing like coasting down a steep hill on inline skates! Braking is a challenge. I always wore a helmet, elbow and knee protection, and kept an eye on bushes that lined the road in case I needed a soft landing zone.

But skating home in the dark, after a session, strikes me as more than a wee bit insane.

I have a donkey!

Posted by .

Gobby, there’s exactly one session which I could ride a donkey to. It’s up Little Chico Creek to Coyote Way.
Both myself & my friend live near the creek and there is a path most of way (very little travel on pavement, though I would need to cross one street; probably at the pedestrian cross walk. I know you can go equine in Lower Bidwell Park and that would get me to two more house sessions. Unfortunately it would mean
crossing a major road at the light(s). I could almost ride my friend’s Borzoi (if I was smaller).
They live right next to the park.

David, cheers! I know what you’re saying. I could skate home after a session depending on where the session is.
I have lights & would get more as needed. More important though the session(s) I would skate to would either
be early enough to skate home before dark, or be on a route where I’m either on a bike path (separated from motor vehicles) or on bike routes (parallel to major roads), also I can always get a ride home (skates
being easier to stow than a bicycle).

Dutchie, my pedal bicycle is still my first choice. It’s been perfect. I have been considering electric options.
I literally talk to someone about electric transportation at least once a week.

ps - what probably isn’t obvious is the session I have is all over the map. Each month we come up with a schedule of times & venues. At this point the location may be in one of three pizza joints &/or someone’s house.
That’s about 3-5 homes where they might let us come to play.

Ben

Posted by .

"But skating home in the dark, after a session, strikes me as more than a wee bit insane."

Thanks, David Levine. It’s good to have that from a seasoned inline skater.

When I lived in London, I regularly cycled up to 10 miles (occasionally more) to and from sessions. Taking the back streets wherever possible, it was a more or less trouble free* way of getting around the city, and went some way to assuaging my then unquenchable need to play traditional music at every opportunity.

Where I now live, I am lucky enough to have a couple of regular sessions** (one weekly and one monthly) on my doorstep (i.e. close enough that, if I forget something, I can walk home and back to the pub in under 5 minutes), so no mechanised transport is required. But, being a small town in a sparsely populated area, if I want to go to a session anywhere else, it involves at least a 20 mile journey. Even if I were fit and fanatical enough to cycle 40 miles in an evening with a session in the middle, doing so at night on unlit winding rural roads would be foolhardy. Public transport in this area is rather rarefied and non-existent after about 7pm, so the only sensible option left is car-sharing (I do not drive myself).

*The only two times I came off my bike in London were in the morning on my way to work - and one of those was at least partly my own fault.

**There is a trade-off. My local sessions are not genre-specific - there are times when there’s a good crowd of tune players and other times when there are only a couple of us against a raft of singer-guitarists, drummers and free improvisers, so there’s no guarantee of a good night of tunes. The sessions I am likely to travel further for are those that are more trad-focused.

I second those who say the stakes are a lot lower with a bicycle. You can hop off it if things go wrong; braking on steep downhills is much easier and less dangerous; and a single, stray piece of gravel or stoplight at the bottom of a steep hill is less likely to represent certain doom.

And in my experience, the average cyclist is going to be faster than the average inline skater if they both give similar efforts.

That said, for long-distance skating I would highly recommend the K2 VO2 line. The soft boots are comfortable but still supportive, they handle well, they have removable/replaceable heel brakes, and they run about $200 — so you can get them for significantly less if you catch them on clearance or sale.

In general the bigger the wheel the faster the skate goes, but that also makes them taller and costs a bit of maneuverability… for those rare instances when you wander through an 80s montage on your way to the session and are forced to slalom through tiny cones on your way out.

Barring those tiny cone encounters, I’ve found 90mm wheels to be a nice balance of speed and maneuverability — although of course your mileage may vary.

Re: Global warming & getting to sessions… w/lower emissions…

Hello!

Cheers to those who replied w/information about your experience w/inline skates. I appreciate your input.
Reading through all the responses I realise my immediate needs are secondary to the much more pressing concerns of a younger generation of session goers. I’m 65 & I want a healthy environment for sessions which happen after I am gone. Which means that alternatives to getting to sessions must be sustainable.

I will probably continue to use my bicycle for getting to sessions as long as I am able. It’s been reliable & I don’t ‘need’ skates. Though I still think options are worth considering. At this time my budget keeps me from investing in skates. But if/when I can afford it here is what I’m thinking about.

Speed is not my main concern. My bicyle is set up to ride equally on road & off road. So if I bought skates
this is also how I would use them. I have not found exactly what I need. It would, however, be a hybrid of an
off-road, slip on skates w/standard air tires but refitted with urethane wheels. Preferably the shorter version, though I need to try them all before I can decide what works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KESbTWwf1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tchQicdyBkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOUHY_ERTFU

Posted by .

Beid- ‘Kissing the tar on the road to Sligo’ Great tune name! Or maybe just ‘Kissing the tar’.

I have an adult scooter. The wheels are the size of tea saucers so it goes fairly fast, smooth and hopping off is very easy. You can get motorised ones as well.

Watching these videos, I’m amazed at how far skates have come. I guess you can use them for serious transportation, and they look like incredible fun. But one must know their own and the skates’ inherent limitations. On public roads which may have pot-holes or other surface irregularities, (I won’t even mention
automobiles and pedestrians), it would seem to me like suicide to use them for transportation home from a session at night after a couple of pints.

The Midnight Rollers San Francisco’s Friday Night Skate

This looks like a good skate to set my goal on.

http://www.cora.org/friday.phtml

"RULES OF THE ROAD

1.Wear helmets and protective gear. Use vista lights or reflective material on your skates or body.

2.Always skate on the right side of the road. Do not block the free flow of traffic.

3.Yield right of way to pedestrians. Be considerate and respective of others. Don’t your skating endanger others.

4.Never skate in the street through the Broadway Tunnel.

5.No skitching. Make it up the hills on your own. Do not hold onto cars, busses or other vehicles.

6.Do not drink alcohol during the skate.

7.Follow the instructions of the Skate Patrol.

If you can’t follow these guidelines, then stay at home. No one wants to see your body underneath a bus or car. The skaters wouldn’t appreciate some idiot jeopardizing our fun. The streets are not the place for you to prove yourself. You don’t have to be an expert skater to do this skate, but you must be able to stop and skate up hills."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skysurfer78/1473250547/

Posted by .

@ Ben.
I have absolutely nothing of worth to add to this discussion. I just wanted to say (as a young person), thank you so much for caring.

Re: Global warming & getting to sessions…

Always good to hear from you, Bluestocking. We are all in this together so I appreciate when someone like you speaks up. If you think your contribution is small, to me it is huge.

Posted by .

I think a bicycle, acoustic or electric is the best mode of transport for distances of a few miles, however when the weather is appropriate my partner and I use a small air balloon in the shape of a zeppelin to get to the local session which is a couple of miles from where we live. I jest not. The zeppelin is 4 meters long and 2 meters in diameter, and is big enough (we are not overweight) to carry us both in a wicker basket to the session. We fly at about 30 meters altitude with a cruising speed of 15-20 kilometers depending on the prevailing wind at the time. A small battery powered fan 30 centimeters in diameter at the rear of the zeppelin is strong enough to propel us forward if there is no wind, and also allows us to change course when necessary. Arriving at the session the zeppelin is secured about six meters from the ground by a chain.

@Steamwilkes Please post a video, preferably with you warming up on your instruments on the way :D

I usually find going to my local session on a pogo stick sets me up nicely for the djembe accompaniment.

We haven’t filmed ourselves yet, or been filmed, but this is a much larger version of the zeppelin we have. It’s about four times the size of ours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H5nGecbysc

DonaldK, yes we used to pogo stick to the session, but nearly all the reeds in my pipes were unseated by the time we arrived. Before we bought the zeppelin we purchased skipping ropes and simply skipped to the session

Yes, it is one drawback. The resulting jiggling of one’s instrument can put it quite out of tune.

Cheers, Steamwilkes! You are the first person I know who flys a zeppelin. I have a million questions for you, but I won’t pester you. Looking online I don’t see a personal zeppelin as compact as yours’. Is it a commercial model, DIY, how did you get it? Okay, enough pestering. This is cool. May the winds abide with the session you are sailing to.

Ben

ps - the battery powered fan blows me away (no pun intended). ;

Posted by .