Session Bingo

Session Bingo

My friend Tore from Göteborg was visiting our session in Stockholm yesterday, and told me of this brilliant idea that he had come up with:

Session Bingo

Print the names of session tunes common in your area randomly on 5x5 grids, and then distribute these among the session participants (and any interested listeners). Then you cross tunes off as they are played, and the first person to get 5 in a row shouts "bingo" and wins! One extra rule is needed: You cannot start a tune which is on your own grid.
Would add an extra dimension to your local session, wouldn’t it? 🙂

Re: Session Bingo

Ooh, that one extra rule makes it tricky!

I hate the idea!

Posted by .

"Would add an extra dimension to your local session, wouldn’t it?"

I suppose it would. But there is also the risk that it might take away another dimension: that of being completely invested in the music for its own sake.

And it inhibits you from playing certain tunes (either because you’re "not allowed", or because you’re trying to keep someone else from getting bingo…) But it could still be kind of a fun little thing. It’s not like most sessions are completely about the music anyway, sometimes they’re as much about socializing and having a good laugh.

Doesn’t interest me in the least.

Posted by .

I once went to a birthday party where about half the guests were trad players. The host decided that the non-musicians would play a game of musical chairs, to the accompaniment of live traditional music provided by the musician guests. It was a fun idea in theory - and those participating in the game may have had a better time than they would have done were it accompanied by Cheesy Hits of the 80s - but for us musicians, it was just frustrating never being allowed to finish a tune.

Nobody would win at our session.

Rather than tune names, how about occurrances? For example, i - someone who connot sing gives us a rendition of a 16 verse ballad. ii - a random drunken punter shouts for Danny Boy or The Irish Rover. iii - a high grade classical musician sits in and proceeds to murder the tunes while using sheet music. iv - someone starts clapping, tapping keys on glass etc out of time VERY LOUDLY. v -the piper has a reed issue. vi the flute player drools spittle all over their neighbour. vii- the concetina player plays some terrible hornpipes and everyone says, “lovely”. viii - the box player is too loud (ok, too easy that one). ix - a gang of elderly gents with piano accordions invade and begin Morris Dance tunes (England only). x - after ignoring the music, the few punters in the pub go out for a smoke, never to return. xi - the bohran player adds to the vibe and overall sound. (A rare one) xii - one for the subtle among you, the guitarist looks very pleased with themselves after playing SUCH a clever chord. xiii - some hippy tries to sit in on a djembe, Didjereedo, recorder or some home made instrument crafted from hemp milk. And so on…

It’s not spittle!

"It’s not spittle!"

Exactly right. It’s not spittle, it’s flute sweat. 🙂

This session bingo thing wasn’t meant to be all that serious!

"Nobody would win at our session.
# Posted by Michael Eskin one day ago. "

I was thinking just that. I would be looked upon as a challenge not to play any of the tunes 😀