Re: Probably the most beautiful bodhran I’ve ever heard

¡Ay, caramba!

it’s scottish *

A djembe with a distortion pedal, nice!

Re: Probably the most beautiful (djembe) I’ve ever heard

To the OP.
I get it. But why post a thread based on someone who has a YouTube channel which is meant to be shared by a relatively small group of people in his immediate circle? It’s certainly not because you think the drumming is better than Johnny McDonagh’s; much less the most beautiful "bodhran" you’ve ever heard.

No real problem for me. If the YouTuber is asking for feedback, then fair play. Otherwise I think
this discussion sets the bar too low.

Ben

Posted by .

Is someone having a laugh?!
The drum video thing was appalling, presumably funny in some ironic private joke style way.
I’m lost!!

Re:Yhaal House is lost…

YH, you are on an ITM website; probably have been for a decade or 2. Just jump off at the next stop & you’ll be back home soon. 🙂

Posted by .

You could be on the right track, Ben, although it’s not usually common for the creator of any kind of piece of work to describe their own creation as "quite lovely, really." Usually they’re much more humble about it.
It wasn’t really my thing, but if you like it, OP, then that’s your style, your choice. It might have helped if you’d given some more detail about why you wanted to share this link.

Oh dear…… Nah!!
I’m with YH.

Whimbrel: it’s not usually common for the creator of any kind of piece of work to describe their own creation as "quite lovely, really."

You seem to be assuming that the OP *is* the creator of the video, which I don’t believe to be the case. The comment (and the whole post) is clearly intended ironically. As for the motive behind the post, it depends how psychoanalytical you want to get but it seems probable to me that the OP is taking an opportunity to ridicule a ‘lesser’ musician for the sake of boosting his or her self esteem. I agree with AB that doing so in a post on this forum ‘sets the bar too low’ - but it is probably something that almost every one of us has been guilty of at some time. Even if you have been free of sin up until now, casting the first stone might just make you a sinner…

The guy in the video is having fun, I doubt he would bring it to a session. Its all good rhythm practice for percussion newbies. My suggestion for him if he wishes to pursue ITM is obviously get a bodhran.

If someone wishes to pursue ITM: practice a whistle, flute, fiddle, etc. Bodhran comes last.

We prefer no bodhrans and no guitars in our session. At least not every week. Not even beautiful bodhrans.

Fantastic playing in itself but the music in the background is disturbing the subtleties of the instrument.

Sarcasm aside: @David, I’m sorry for you if your experience with rhythm players like the one above has led you to that decision, but there are still more than enough players out there who can work absolute magic on their bodhrán, guitar, bouzouki or other rhythm instrument. Excluding them as well seems a bit of an overreaction.

yikes !!!

@CreadurMawnOrganig: Regarding the issue of "ridiculing someone" to boost one’s self-esteem, I don’t think that was the OP’s point in posting the clip. To me, it just seemed like a gently ironical way to point out that this is not how it’s done.

I think the basic issue here is whether it’s helpful for those new to this music to see only examples of great players linked here, or if it’s also helpful to see examples of how *not* to play trad as well. Personally, I think negative examples are useful for those just starting out in this music. Especially for those self-educating from YouTube clips, which is how many people learn music these days. YouTube is filled with really bad examples of people acting like music instructors, like the OP’s link to the guy showing how to play a reel rhythm. That needs to be pointed out, I think. It doesn’t have to be overt ridicule. It can be done with irony, like the OP’s thread title (at least I hope it was ironic!).

This isn’t the first time this subject of ridicule vs. instructive-by-poor-example has come up here. I remember past discussions of a YouTube video with a certain lady in a green dress on stage, smiling and sawing her way through a deadly rendition of Drowsy Maggie. I won’t post a link, but the clip title "Celtic Violinist" will get you there if you don’t remember it. Personally, I think it’s an instructive example of what happens when someone only pays attention to the dots on the page, and doesn’t do enough listening to examples of what the music should sound like.

P.S. — Hah! I just noticed while reviewing the OP’s clip that after I stopped it, YouTube showed a few other clips I might be interested in, and one was from Sweetwater Music with the title "Four Famous Guitar Riffs Frequently Played Wrong." Apparently the YouTube algorithm also has an opinion on that djembe player!

Dear ginsbergkerouac,
You bring shame to the names you have expropriated.
Making fun of an online "basic" video lesson?
Really?
Seriously, pursue your university degree in ITM. I am sure you will learn a lot of value and develop some skills. But wait until you get out in life and get some real experience with music and musicians before you pick on those you consider your lessors. You may be able to learn something from them no matter how unsophisticated it now seems to you.

"Conical bore"
Good comments.
instructive-by-poor-example is often helpful.
I suggest to "ginsbergkerouac" it would be even more helpful if the instructive-by-poor-example was explicit and not (seemingly at least to some) cloaked in ridicule.
- - -
OK, Before I get nicked for it, I did ridicule the ridiculer. My bad. I’ll try to be better in the future. (No sarcasm intended)
Cheers and beers, Steve

Conical bore: "Regarding the issue of "ridiculing someone" to boost one’s self-esteem, I don’t think that was the OP’s point in posting the clip. To me, it just seemed like a gently ironical way to point out that this is not how it’s done."

Perhaps I was rash in my assessment - and you are to be applauded for reading into it a more noble motive. I still find it hard not to see it as ridicule, however. I am not judging the OP for this - I would classify it as ‘normal’ human behaviour.

I doubt there’s much I can learn from a djembe in Trad. Imagine if you were to post a video online claiming to teach traditional Malian music on uilleann pipes, I’m not too certain those within Malian music circles would be appreciative if beginner pipers started to show up to jam along with them. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think Irish traditional music should be the genre that has to welcome all the lonesome didjeridoo, djembe, dobro, shaky egg, and auto-harp players unless you are genuinely trying to add to your respective session(s) and the music as a whole. I think it’s quite necessary to poke fun at such videos, those outside the circles of trad might be getting the wrong impressions… or should we just conform to playing “The Devil Went Down Georgia” and “Irish Washerwoman” every single time a newbie shows up to a session because that’s what they ‘thought’ trad was? I’m all for beginners, everyone was there at some point, but there should be some boundaries for god’s sake! An African drum that would drown out a set of Highland pipes doesn’t sound like they should be allowed. I would up and leave if a vibraphonist showed up to my session, or a timpani percussionist. Lastly, shame to Ringo? What do you know about that lad? Some of the greatest trad musicians are quite critical especially to beginners. If you are not open to progress your not going to ever improve, wake up! Not to mention McDonagh who at the Rome Fleadh told an audience member to “shut the f*** up”. When you’re dedicating your life to this music you don’t want djembe players showing up and ruining the music.

I wholeheartedly agree that the gate-keepers of any musical tradition, or any serious art, for that matter, should not be lax. Should a fellow impose a djembe thus on a session, by all means, nip the evil in the bud. However, I would give the guy the benefit of doubt as an earlier post alluded to; the fellow specifically mentions that this was only intended for viewing for one other person ! And I can fess up why I have a soft-corner for him as I too have discovered that if you are a percussionist looking for the crutch of a rhythmically-tight melody that you could use to play or practice along to or try out different patterns, you could do no better than using a jig or a reel as a loop to play along to. It is wonderful time we live in, when I could summon up Kevin Burke on a whim and have him play a reel in a loop for me to settle on a groove that works best with him and then have Martin Hayes play the same reel and feel the entirely different demands on where to stretch the micro-beats within the rhythm and where and how to compress them. Beats, pun intended, using metronomes or other lifeless, programmable, thingamjiggies for the specific purpose. Just saying, ITM is out there for all to enjoy in the privacy of their homes; one would be foolhardy to assume that single-malt is not being consumed mixed with all sorts of syrups out there 🙂