Any fiddle players with experience using geared pegs?

Any fiddle players with experience using geared pegs?

I live in northern New England where the winters are long and cold. As a result of heating with forced hot air the inside of our house is very dry (humidity in the 30-40% range). It’s a real pain to keep my fiddle tuned. Pegs get loose, strings unwind, etc. A luthier suggested using geared pegs instead of the more common wooden ones held in by friction.
Has anyone out there tried them?

Posted by .

Re: Any fiddle players with experience using geared pegs?

I installed Wittner internally geared pegs in 3 of my main fiddles and my viola. It’s been about 5 years now and the only complaint I have is minimal, which is that changing strings takes longer because they turn so nice and slow. I solved this with one of those mandolin/guitar string-winder thingies. The splines/spurs on the peg-ends that are supposed to keep the pegs from slipping can work loose if you are too rough with them. Solved this with a drop of cyanoacylate glue (use caution!). I use Thomastik Precision strings and find the tuning is very easy and very stable. I have removed the fine-tuner screws from most of my tailpieces as they’re unattractive and not needed. hope this helps.

Beryl.
Live in Australia. Damp winters, hot dry summers. 40+ years playing this particular fiddle. I had a set of Wittner pegs isntalled in my fiddle about 12 months ago. They look good, never bind or slip. After a life time with fine tuners I am still reaching for the fine tuners every time. I love them.

It’s is the Wittner pegs I love I have removed the fine tuners.

Yes, get the planetary pegs. Perfection Pegs, Pegheds, or Wittner are the brands. I’ve used Perfections and absolutely love them.

Posted by .

I have one fiddle with Perfection pegs - they are great. My everyday fiddle is an old one with ancient geared pegs that are heavy and clunky - I could do without them, but I suppose they have steam-punk cache.

Perfection planetary pegs, like Wittners, are the way to go especially on an older fiddle that may have had some questionable peg box rework. The only way you can spot the difference from traditional pegs is the lack of fine tuners. Especially handy if you sometimes do alternate tuning. Absolutely love these!

My Significant Other has Perfection Pegs on her fiddle and loves them.

I have an old fiddle that needed peg hole bushing. It was cheaper to put in 9mm Perfection pegs which work well. Plus I got all the junk off the tail piece.

What they all said!

I have 3 fiddles - two 5-strings and a 4-string. The 4-string and one 5-string have Knilling Perfection pegs, and they are excellent.

The other 5-string has 2nd generation Wittner pegs - also very good.

One thing that wasn’t mentioned - you can vary the stiffness of the peg-turn if you press the peg in to the pegbox (just like with a standard friction peg).

As for the time taken to unwind the pegs when changing strings, you can do it quite quickly if you loosen the string enough so the peg windings are loose, and the tailpiece ball-end is removed.

Assuming you have good eyes and good lighting, you can un-pick the coils from the peg quite easily with a 3mm crochet hook.

Oops … meant to say too .. if your tailpiece has individual tuners, you can safely ditch them.

If you have an integrated tailpiece with 4 inbuilt tuners, you can still keep that.

You then have the option of tuning like a violinist, or like a fiddler 🙂

"you can un-pick the coils from the peg quite easily with a 3mm crochet hook."

How is my Christmas sweater coming along? Xmas is right around the corner…. ;)

Posted by .

I’ve had geared tuners on my fiddle for years (sorry I can’t remember the make). Due to a serious injury on my left arm I had to learn left-handed fiddle. Due to issues with manual dexterity, I was never able to tune my fiddle without breaking a string. I changed to geared tuners and they have been a god-send…no more broken strings PLUS my fiddle seems to stay in tune much longer…. Would not be without them… Can’t understand why they aren’t standard on all new fiddles.

Only problem I have is that it takes longer to change strings - requires a bit more precision than normal!

I live in Northern Vermont, and have two fiddles, one with geared tuners. Only one small issue in 5 years with the geared tuners, easily resolved.

But, more importantly, I keep a moist sponge in each fiddle case throughout fall, winter and spring, and I watch the humidity gauge to keep things well above 40%. I consider this absolutely vital.

Where in Northern New England are you? I’m thinking you might be a fiddle/concertina player who comes to Bagitos. Nick perhaps? If so, you can check out my pegs.