The one time you heard something you never wanted to hear. Except this (one) time it was brilliant.

The one time you heard something you never wanted to hear. Except this (one) time it was brilliant.

I’ve read the cautionary tales of how *not to play* this, that or the other. These have become an online fixture.
Can we, please, talk about unexpected pleasures? Did you ever hear something which you expected to wreak havoc w/a session only to realise it didn’t? An unconventional instrument, a tune which ‘typically’ fits into the category of trad stereotypes, a set of tunes you would have never put together. Etc. ?

Have fun w/this one,
;

Posted by .

Re: The one time you heard something you never wanted to hear. Except this (one) time it was brilliant.

Clarinet sounds just right in a session.

Posted by .

Re: The one time you heard something you never wanted to hear. Except this (one) time it was brilliant.

Double bass is great in a session

Posted by .

Choons beat me to it, but can think of a couple of clarinettists who really sound good in sessions, both being in complete sympathy/empathy with whatever is being played.

I don’t really like Music for a Found Harmonium as a tune, but in a session with a lot of people it is fun to play. And a bit silly.

Cellist was a hit. There are more than one excellent nyckelharpa players around here and wow, they are fun when they show up. Then there was the time we had 11 tenor banjos….!

11 banjos!? Were there 11 bodhrans with them?

Posted by .