App wanted: Is there an ITM counterpart to Airbnb? If not, could someone please build one?

App wanted: Is there an ITM counterpart to Airbnb? If not, could someone please build one?

Traveling by air with instruments can be trivial (flute, whistle) or troublesome (harp, banjo, guitar). My wife and I just got back from O’Flaherty’s Irish Musical Retreat, which was very good this year (not paid to say this). A friend of ours from Canada was in attendance, and met with us at DFW to share a car down to Midlothian, TX. Of course I noticed that he didn’t have his banjo (my Nechville was in our checked bag, dissembled - not paid to say this either) . He explained that he was borrowing a banjo from a friend near Dallas.

Among other instruments, my wife plays harp, and would love to be able to use a harp at some of the musical events we attend. A solution would be for her to borrow or rent one from someone in the vicinity. Is there an efficient way to find people or businesses near a certain location and during certain dates who would be willing to rent or otherwise ‘share’ an instrument? I realize that things like insurance, deposit, written agreement and other important aspects would need to be dealt with, but that would be up to the app builder.

Does an efficient way to do this exist? If not, can someone please make it so and let us all know when it’s ready. Thanks.

Posted by .

Re: App wanted: Is there an ITM counterpart to Airbnb? If not, could someone please build one?

Are you serious or joking? Speaking as an IT Architect of 40 years experience, I can tell you that this is a vast project with vast infrastructure. Where did the idea come from that this can be just knocked up?

Re: App wanted: Is there an ITM counterpart to Airbnb? If not, could someone please build one?

As far as harps go, there’s the Harp Borrowing Club Facebook group.

Honestly, if I needed to borrow or rent an instrument, I would fire up Google and my e-mail account to find and contact people who may be able to help *you* or refer you to someone who can. Workshop organizers; teachers; performers; FB groups for the event, instrument or type of music; organizations; mailing lists, forums and boards …

As far as an “Air BnB” for instruments, how many people can you hire to help create, manage, and update that, and how much can you afford to spend on lliability insurance? Sounds like a monumental project. Of course, that’s probably what “they” said about AirBnB. Or Facebook.

Posted by .

It’s an intriguing idea, which is probably more feasible now, using an AirBnB-like model than it has ever been before. I guess the "critical mass" would need to start in major centres, Dublin, Miltown Malbay, and work out from there!

On the other hand, I just returned a commercially hired instrument, and in the return notes the hirer mentioned saxophones etc that have been sent back to them with utterly inadequate packaging such as just a black bin liner or in a succession of breakfast cereal packets taped together!

Posted by .

Well hi @Tracie, AirBnB and Facebook are huge and vast software development projects, both, so what "they" said is correct.

It’s easy to have a model for this sort of application, but try working out the business plan and raising the millions of dollars! Unlikely to happen. I am still assuming this was a joke: just get it ready and let us know.

It has been done: https://www.sparkplug.it/

Not sure it’s reached critical mass to be available in most larger cities, but the infrastructure is there.

We needed a 3/4 size double bass for a Scandinavian player to do a couple of concerts in Edinburgh: quick post on Facebook brought in 2 offers. And we have borrowed a full-size one on a previous occasion. Don’t think it involved much money changing hands: maybe a few beers?

Don’t need an app for that. I would just ask around among friends on FB. Usually solves the instrument borrowing part quickly.

what’s a fair going rate? $/day?

Posted by .

Diddley Squat?

Available in North - east Engand
1. 2 great 19th century violins
2. Sraithgt harp (no lever) tuned well to guitarist E and C, Am Dm and |G (48 string) No levers - Very Trad.
3. Lovely large style Gibson, Mandolin.
Private Musical Enjoyment:
Yamaha Piano.
Cello.
Wide range of music (printed, with basic chords)

I can rent out one of my old whistles..
No? Ok then..