Trad, unkeyd flute for sale

Trad, unkeyd flute for sale

Beautiful trad.,Flute, pearwood 3 piece. No keys. Perfect condition. Nice easy fipple so a good easy player.
Will let it go cheap, so hopefully a young learner can afford it. A truly top quality instrument, and vintage too.
I only want around £ 100. Looks lovely and sounds amazing. Tuned to A440 as well.
If it’s so great whys so cheap?
I’m primarily a fiddle and cello player, and tin whistle. I have 2 modern flutes if I’m desperate. They too are covered in dust so if anyone wants a cheap modern flute, got one too, for around the same price.
Important we sell good quality instruments here 4 the next generation.

Re: Trad, unkeyd flute for sale

There’s no such thing as a vintage keyless trad flute, much less one that plays in modern pitch. Also, flutes don’t have fipples.

Posted by .

Flutes do have fipple" it’s a way of describing if it’s easy to make a sound, or not. The "Fipple" is understood as the interface between the player and the flute, at the crucial juncture of the "blown area",flute player "blows", actually onto the flute. Now maybe, you may call it a different name. But you didn’t actually tell me what it was did You. So it seems you don’t know either.
Moreover, what do you actually call a full size, wooden, keyless flute, at perfect concert pitch?

What key is it in? D?

As far as “vintage” goes, there’s no official definition. For US customs purposes, for example, antique is over 100 years old. But depending on the item, vintage can mean 80-100 years for cars or 15, 25, 40 or under 100 for other items. Would my 50 year old hippie fashions from college be considered vintage? Are my early 1970s recorders (with fipples) vintage yet? Were they making keyless Irish flutes before 1970?

I’d better stop now — I’m suddenly feeling old.

Fipple definition, ……."a plug stopping the upper end of a pipe, as a recorder or a whistle, and having a narrow slit through which the player blows". What are you calling a flute? This definition refers to such tubular things as whistles, recorders or even pipe organs, but not to the the type of flute that Ailin is referring to, or what most of us in this tradition would mean by the word ‘flute’. These have no fipple! Whistles have a fipple!

Posted by .

"what do you actually call a full size, wooden, keyless flute, at perfect concert pitch?" …. Rare to impossible!

Posted by .

It’s only "vintage". I bought it from our principal bassoonist, who bought he was y ung - in his 20s.
He;s now in is mid70’s. He was a top surgeon. It’s really lovely, both in sound and looks. A really is 440, and there is a good reason, it’s going cheap - because who deserved it cheap, are here. Sometim s those with the biggest wallets, are the least deserving, and those with e smallest……

Defintely A at 440.

Definitely A at 440.

It’s a 3 piece, pearwood (as I already said) beautiful trad flute (no keywork). Immaculate condition, though beautiful vintage. It does play A at modern A 440, which means this flute can play with any other players. The embouchure is a little different than modern flute, but not by much ( I play both) and I have checkd it’s A440 tuning.

F.S. - Absolutely not! 🙁

Heather, you are the textbook for how not to post an F.S.

Posted by .

Don’t take that comment hard Heather. It’s really no big deal. We nit-pick everything on this site. I understand and respect all that you have tried to say.

Posted by .

Heather, are there any stamps or maker’s marks on the instrument? Additionally, would you describe the embouchure or tone hole as round, elliptical, oval, or lozenge shaped? And, would you describe it as having any, if at all, undercutting?

Yes, it would be good to see a photo.

Posted by .

"Yes, it would be good to see a photo."

…Several photos. Assembled, disassembled, each section separately, close-up of the embouchure, any other detail shots that might be of use or interest.

£100 seems a good deal to me. Bugger the bregrudgers and nitpickers. I’m sure photos would be forthcoming to whoever contacted Heather. Good luck with the sale.

Heather, you’re not actually selling a flute are you?
If so I’m supportive. But at this point I’m highly skeptical.
Ben

Gobby & Danny, I’m *not* begrudging of anyone selling a flute on here.

Posted by .

Some photos would be good if a genuine sale I’m interested.

I can’t honestly see any reason to see why this post is not genuine. On the face of it, it looks like a very good deal. But I fear JG ward, that you may have to now send a personal message to Heather. I suspect that some of us may have offended her. I have personally apologized for my part (unintentional as it was).

Posted by .

I’m pretty sure the poster is genuine too and she appears to have been a member for some time.
Judging by her comments on recent threads, she seems "feisty" enough and, probably, not too easily offended.
🙂

Wow.
A whole lot of mansplaining going on.

Posted .

Heather, I wish you the best in finding a deserving player for your flute. Excuse my skepticism. I’ll accept your
OP at face value. Please consider my sincere apology for asking if you’re actually selling a flute. I hope you can appreciate this is a discussion section where I feel it makes for a good discussion when there is open dialogue.
It’s also the board’s default for announcements and items for sale. What I’m getting at is this section [Discussions] covers a great deal of what this site does. Because it does I often ask pointed questions
when there seems to be uncertainty & perhaps the answers can help all of us.

All the best,
Ben

Posted by .

I requested more information and had a message about skiing lodges!

Heather, did you send a message about ski lodges in response to a query about the flute you are selling
on this thread?

Posted by .