Does anyone know about the Tony Dixon ALTO TRADITIONAL WHISTLE in key of A?

Does anyone know about the Tony Dixon ALTO TRADITIONAL WHISTLE in key of A?

Hi I am thinking of getting a whistle in the key of A but am rather limited on funds. I found Tony Dixon’s Alto Trad. whistle in A (brass) in my price range. He even offers free shipping to the states. Jerry Freeman makes an A whistle with his own body and a tweaked Generation head. The Dixon is currently cheaper. Does anyone have either one or both of these? What do you think of them? Thanks.

Re: Does anyone know about the Tony Dixon ALTO TRADITIONAL WHISTLE in key of A?

I have no experience with the Dixon instrument, but they are in general well made. The Freeman instrument I would buy with absolute confidence.

Posted by .

You might get tagged with import duties and brokerage fees on the Dixon.

Posted by .

I don’t have experience with the A whistle by Dixon, but do own some other Dixon whistles, all of which I enjoy. I have the trad D in Nickel, a polymer low G, and a polymer low D. I’ve also some experience with the aluminium low G and D. Dixons require very little air, but can be a tad touchy on the lowest tones if you provide just slightly too much air. Once you’re used to it, it’s not a bother at all. Their sound, to me, can be a bit breathier than other whistles, which I do prefer. Something to keep in mind though. For the price, Dixon gets the job done.

-Mel

The tony Dixon whistle is a good step up to the next level of whistles

I have one of these, not amazing but of good quality and I find useful sometimes for playing in D.