Kind thoughts

Kind thoughts

Día dhaoibh! Greetings one and all!

I find the news from California very disturbing and concerning.
Nearly into Winter and bushfires burning with such ferocity.
I know a bit about what it’s like, having been a volunteer firefighter here in the Tasmanian Fire Service.
Being in front of a fire is not nice and it is very confronting, as thay all act differently.

Anyway, I am hoping that in keeping with the spirit of our special group Jeremy might allow this post to remain.

May I, on behalf of us all here at The Session, send best wishes and prayers to all to our friends and members in California.
May you all be blessed, stay safe and not suffer any harm, hurt, damage or stress

All the best
Brian xx

Re: Kind thoughts

Hi Brian,
The fires are always devastating. It feels like they hit earlier and earlier each year. I can sometimes smell them from my dorm room here at school. I feel fortunate that my family haven’t been affected yet, but I have lots of friends who have been. Not only have the fires caused people to evacuate and lose their things, but also many nature spots are being affected at very short notice. I’m in an outdoor club at school, and our planned hike last weekend would have been in direct line of the more recent fires had they not started days before we were due to go. I also had a retreat moved onto our school campus at the last minute due to also being ther fire zone.
I really do admire the firefighters.
Thank you so much for this post. I too hope this post can stay up (I understand if it doesn’t, though). I hope other members on here are OK.

Well said. I, too, feel for my friends to the West. California has had its share of climate related disasters in the last few years, and it’s hard to watch sometimes. I would happily send a bunch of the snow that we’re currently getting out their direction if I could figure out how. Best of luck to all of you who are dealing with things bigger than which Emily’s Reel we’re talking about, and whether it’s OK to advertise instruments for sale in an internet music forum…

Seconded, briantheflute. I spent a number of years with our local Malua Bay brigade here in coastal NSW. We’d moved down here after the disastrous Canberra bush fire took out 6 houses in our street, and hundreds in our and neighbouring suburbs. We had a fire in our yard that day, but I got it out before it got near the house. The sky turned black in mid afternoon and burning embers rained down on us. We found lots of embers lodged between the roof tiles later…

You will remember in years gone by that Australia used to share fire-fighting aircraft with the US, on the basis that we’d have them in our hot season, while they shouldn’t need them. Well, all that’s behind us now, with the overheating climate giving us both fire seasons that are dramatically longer than half a year.

And we’re now seeing fires in places that never seemed to have fires - rainforests, wetlands, etc. Get used to the new world order! I guess we’ll really know the game is up when the Emerald Isle starts reporting wildfires? I noted some in England last year…

I noticed among the Tunes there seem to be a number of different tunes called the Firehose Reel. Not surprising, I guess, given that inviting title is often boldly inscribed on a conveniently-located red cupboard door in the foyer of public buildings….

Yes, I doubt that there would be many of us in Australia that don’t have empathy with those in California, and wherever else the fires hit in the USA. As Terry says, we have often been thankful for the willing aid given by American firefighters and aircraft, while in reverse, Aussie firefighters have helped out in the USA when they can. I live in a forest in country Victoria, and I have our local ‘Black Saturday’ disaster from 19 years ago permanently on my mind. It is not possible for those around here to not have total empathy and caring for those in California (and the others).

Posted by .