What do you enjoy listening to most?

What do you enjoy listening to most?

I realized I hardly ever listen and I know the advice here is always listen listen listen :).

The only listening I do it the small amount it takes to memorize a tune. I imagine some people have trad on all the time when they aren’t playing?

So I want to get back into listening but most times I only find one shot single tunes online so it is not a relaxing affair to always be clicking the next video and I don’t trust youtube suggestions :); and I am too cheap to pay for any albums, I have done in the past but I end up not listening to them. Having said that I will break those out haha.

I really find the ‘big bands’ too frenetic. I much prefer the soloist or only very tasteful accompaniment or like one other complementary instrument.

Re: What do you enjoy listening to most?

Right now I’m enjoying listening to:
-The Longest Johns (sea shanties with great harmonies)
-ENKEL (Finnish trad folk band all young women)
-Dick Gaughan (well know Scottish folk singer and guitarist)
-Seth Lakeman

All on Spotify, TLJ have a Bandcamp where you can listen for free too (will play sequentially so you dont have to keep clicking), and there’s videos on youtube also.

You can stream radio programs over the internet from RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta, via their radio player: https://www.rte.ie/rnag/ The service is free. You can also go back and listen to some of the past programs. It’s all "as gaeilge" but usually the tunes names are introduced in English, and it’s a good way to find out about artists (you can usually get their names at least). You can find literally hundreds of albums on Spotify… but seriously if you’re "too cheap to pay for any albums" I kind of question why you are doing this at all? I mean if you’re truly broke that’s one thing, but musicians deserve some respect! There are some great trad artists on Bandcamp. You can listen once for free, after that you have to buy.

There are so many incredible trad musicians and recordings out there, and I own a ton of albums… Just way too many to even start naming. One that I often go back to and have had on replay again for months is this one: https://thesession.org/recordings/715. And also this one just blows my mind: https://thesession.org/recordings/3943. I can’t get started or I’ll go on forever. So many amazing musicians out there!

Lately, I’ve been into the Broadside Band, an English group that plays older and Renaissance folk.
But right now I’m listening to a Boys of the Lough set.

Agreed that there are lots of videos on YouTube available, especially "topic" videos. I believe that if you click on a "topic" album, then choose a track, it will continue to play the rest of the tracks on the album. You just have to know what you’re looking for.

So I play banjo but I don’t really enjoy listening to banjo by itself. I find I can’t latch onto the tune very well. I like banjo with a sustaining instrument. Especially Angelina Carberry/Martin Quinn or the Joe Cooley recordings with his brother. Other than that my favorite person to listen to is Andy McGann.

I stream several Pandora stations and their algorithms mix in other artists that the algorithm "thinks" are similar [sometimes they miss by a mile but you can "educate" the station by giving a "thumbs down" to the tune.].

That said, my tastes are a little broader than strict ITM. I’m very fond of Scots "Trad".
Some of my stations; Martin Hays, Bonnie Rideout, Hanaka Castle, Alisdar Maclean, John Doyle, Solas, etc.etc..

If I’m not actively playing/practicing….. something is always on as I go about my day.

Of course I do warm up the tubes, get the turntable spinning and focus in as well.

Re: What do you enjoy … most?

I think you’re all being wound up. Trolled, as it were.

I used to be somewhat stuck on big-name groups, like Bothy Band, Lunasa, Dervish etc…

These days I’ve really been enjoying Reverend’s spotify channel (listed in his profile), which has 30 or so hours of his curated selections. Not that I like everything in his list, but it provides a wide cross section of mostly straight-ahead ITM. A high percentage of the artists and tunes were unfamiliar to me, and that provides an opportunity to immerse myself in the "feel" of the music, which is different from listening to learn a particular tune.

From Rev’s list I discovered (or expanded my knowledge of) numerous individual artists, including Steph Geremia, Alan Kelly, Jack Talty, John Whelan. Also, I’ve gotten to know some artists that I should have known, but had never gotten around to, like John Carty, Sharon Shannon, Frankie Gavin, etc.

Pandora can also feed you suggestions based on a seed, but you have to really nurture your channel or you’ll be sucked inexorably to Celtic New Age, although I do like Loreena McKenna and Áine Minogue.

"I think you’re all being wound up. Trolled, as it were."… David, I’m curious as to why you would think this.
Re the O P. I have literally hundreds of old sound recording that I have downloaded free over the years. I can’t recall where I got them all from now, but I just hit ‘play all’ on my media player and stream though them as I do other thing. I’m generally not even really listening until something I may have heard a hundred times previously just grabs my attention and suddenly makes me feel compelled to play it. I cannot survive many days apart without immersing myself in the music like this. I think it’s called "addiction" There is endless free stuff on line.

Posted by .

@David Levine, OP’s question seems like a perfectly innocent one to me! We really should be careful about who we call a troll.
Besides, what would one actually gain from posting a question like this if they wanted to troll?

I agree Whimbrel. The comment makes no sense to me. I personally have no doubt about the O.P’s integrity. Me and him/her got off on the wrong foot in a previous first time post and I have apologized for my rude misdemeanor. Perigin Calling is actually a new member and I hate to think that we are being so unwelcoming. So David… Please explain or apologize.

Posted by .

I must add though, Perigin Calling, that it would alleviate the paranoia that some of us longer term members of this site have been conditioned into suffering, if you would tell us a little about yourself in your profile. This is your 3rd discussion and we don’t know who you are.

Posted by .

What exactly would you like to know? My general feelings are that as one’s post history builds then that is how you get to know about someone’s likes and dislikes. I always find it contrived to try and lever some vital statistics into a profile.

When I ask questions they are authentic things on my mind so I think that is more genuine than anything I could force onto a profile. It is like when people ask ‘what do you do?’ it just evokes a canned response.

and I am at least glad that the consensus was that the troll comment was a bizarre statement.

I thought trolling is posting inflammatory or edgy things to evoke a reaction so no idea how you could construe my post as ‘trolling’ unless you meant that it is so out of bounds for you to imagine I don’t often listen to much music.

PS thanks to the other for comments so far! I am very behind on what the latest music platforms are and seems there is a lot more out there than youtube :)

I suppose that is my general resistance to change but in this case change can be good to escape the inane cookie cutter suggested videos YT will throw at you just cos they are ‘popular’ and always begin with the obnoxious ‘WHATS UP GUYS!!!!!’

I won’t engage in a long discussion about the comment I made, except to say that my bullshit detector flies into the red zone when I hear, from putative players, things like " I hardly ever listen" and "The only listening I do it [sic] the small amount it takes to memorize a tune." Really? Seriously?
On an earlier thread the OP said that "the ‘war horses’ are probably going to be akin to pop music in that it is made for a mass appeal and easier to learn." He specifically said "cooley’s and pigeon on the gate, …uninteresting two reels that I leaned early on."
I thought, fifty years ago, that if I could learn Cooley’s properly I would understand how to play the fiddle. I still think that. So I find it hard to take the OP seriously.

In the area of folk music, my own experience is that the recordings which will repay repeated listening over a lifetime would include:

- Anything by Anne Briggs, A. L. Lloyd, or Ewan MacColl

- The Anthology of American Folk Music by Harry Smith

- Songs of the Travelling People (Saydisc 1994)

- The earlier work of The Watersons

Having spent 15 years in Orkney, lots of music from the Northern Isles appeals to me.

Orkney : the late fiddler Pat Shearer, (one cd), he was something special.
Shetland : magical tunes from here eg Da Day Dawns (re the rising of the sun, it is played annually at New Year when everyone can look forward to longer days at last. And listen to it played by Ali Bain with his Scandinavian friend Mueller (?) playing blowing instruments.

English : song "Bonny at Morn", about a boy and girl lying late in bed to avoid working.

What’s your goal re playing music, Peregrin? You seem to be looking for sources, which will push you forward as a trad musician, not just music for amusement. If that’s right, what’s your desired ‘mode of interaction’ with the music? Playing in your kitchen? In sessions? Go busking? Become a professional musician? The answer to you O.P. would be different depending on what social-musical route you want to go.

Say, I’m interested in session music, so the best source for me is a live good session recording, which can be listened to over and over again to absorb rhythm, style and tunes.

But if I wanted to start a trad band, just session recordings might or might not be enough to get an idea of contemporary sound and arrangements.

So, what’s your intent in the field of music, Peregrin?

Posted by .

I agree about writing a bit on your profile. There’s no need for your name or location if you’re not comfortable, but just some information about what you like. You can read other peoples’ profiles to see how they write, and what they write.

@Mars My goal is to play tunes fluently that is all. :)

But yes sessioning is quite far down on my list of priorities. If I could play tunes fluently it might indeed raise when I was more confident with the material and knew it sounded somewhat good to be played out; I would wanna show it off then.

@Whimbrel and what must I put? Please give me the interview questions I must complete :)

Haha it’s not really a set of questions. If you click on a poster’s name (for example, when you see "posted by Whimbrel), and click on Whimbrel, you have my profile bio. There are lots of members who have bios and each is unique in its own way, so you can check these out to model your own bio if you want. For example, I like how Jon Corelis (one of the previous posters on this thread) has his bio in third-person… it’s not the style I use most of the time, but it’s still neat!
Only share what you feel you want to.
Hope that helps.

Just your location in the world, what Instruments you play or are what your musical interested are would say be be a good start (and perhaps enough). I’m sorry to say but I see merit in what David Levine has now explained.

Posted by .

As someone with little cash to spare, I have maybe a dozen albums at most. The upside to that is that the more I listen to them the more I hear in each tune like the various instruments and the back up instruments. I would hate to have sooo many albums that I don’t hear the intricacies of the tunes. That said I would love more albums. Spotify and others cost too much data on my phone even when they are free. I now have unlimited data on my laptop, can i get Spotify on this? It would make my day, month and year if I could.

I am pretty much of the same taste as Perigrin in the OP. Its the melodies in ITM that fascinate me. If a recording has a drum kit, I probably will not listen to it. Likewise, I find electric bass incongruous. So I usually listen to soloists with accompanists who have actually develop technique on acoustic instruments. A guitar thrashed 8 to the bar behind a melody instrument playing a string of 8th notes is not music to me.

Hi Michelle,
Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to the Spotify question, but I just wanted to say you make a really valid point that if you’re only listening to a few albums, you’ll really get to know the music.

"I now have unlimited data on my laptop, can i get Spotify on this?" Yes you can. I am currently trying to work out how to access my Spotify tunes offline. I’ve done it before on a different lap-top, but I’m having trouble making it work on my present one. But I do know that it’s possible.

Posted by .

@Michelle absolutely! The only two CDs for the first four years of my ITM journey were ‘Top of Coom’ by Conal O’Grada and ‘The frost is all over’ by Paul McGratten. Both CDs listened to death and, yes, both revealed more and more subtle twists over time.

Posted by .

@Perigrin_Calling do you really think ITM is about fluency?

Fluency got too early would be like one of machine gun, not e.g. of Brian Finnegan.

Posted by .

@ Michelle Mc, Yes you can get spotify on a laptop. It’s available on the web, but works better with it’s own app.

@ Gobby, I’m pretty sure you need to subscribe to download the tunes.

Spotify is theft.

Theft? How?

@brothyerhug Yes, I am subscribed, but I suspect my problem is to do with my old Apple Mac. I’ll keep working on it. Thanks

Posted by .

I enjoy listening to PJ Hayes.

I have downloaded a command-line program called youtube download. With a single command pointed at a video, I can create an MP3 file which I can then load into my ipod. If I find someone who has a playlist of good music, I can point the command at the whole playlist. Even the whole channel. In this way I have captured a ton of great music I can listen to whenever I want. The vast majority of this music is not commercial. Actually none of it is. It’s mostly videos people have made at various music festivals, or videos people have made of themselves, or even sound samples from people who make certain kinds of musical instruments. I also buy music, too, but not that often since mostly I just want to learn how to play a tune and don’t need a professional quality album to do that. My partner buys a lot of Irish trad albums and we listen to those all the time in the car together.

Me as I progress Hilairious

Doesn’t Spotify pay artists for their music?

I believe they do but it’s next to nothing. Someone here will have the exact figures I’m sure.

So, although it may not be "theft" as such in the legal sense it’s certainly extreme exploitation.

True, I exaggerated, it’s not "technically" theft. You do make £0.0034 per stream, meaning if you were to spend £10k producing an album you only need approximately 3m plays just to pay for your costs. They, and others who benefit, including people who stream music and don’t want to admit the injustice of it make the age old "exposure" argument. Whenever a musician who actually earns his living sees that word he knows he’s being royally scre*ed. It sometimes works to a certain extent for big pop artists or artists with a first album but not for the artists who play the traditional music we like to listen to. If an album is out of print, as happens with trad music, there’s not much harm is streaming it but if an artist is trying to pay for the recording of an album them streaming is the enemy. Look at established artists and see how fewer albums they record than in the past. It’s far too risky. Streaming is strangling everything between novice and superstar.

That makes a lot of sense, Bogman, and I didn’t realize the little amount artists get. Sometimes I buy one song from an album if that’s the only one I’m interested, which will usually range from $0.89 to $1.29 which is at least slightly better.

The thing I would find really frustrating about subscribing to Spotify or another streaming service is the unpredictability that comes with not knowing if you can listen to a song again. There are many occasions in which digital albums have been completely taken off all streaming and buying platforms. I’m not sure why this is: if it’s the artist’s choice or if it’s just a random algorithem. Examples of digital versions of albums that have "disappeared": "Woman of the House" by Cherish the Ladies, "Ireland’s Harvest" by Joe Derrane, Frankie Gavin and Brian McGrath, "Folk Music of England" by the Yetties, and another one whose name I can’t remember but had some John Doonan songs on it.

Eventually, digital music files will probably have special vibrations built into them to reprogram the neurons in your brain so that you forget the music after remembering it five times. After that, you will have to buy it again.

@Whimbrel: "The thing I would find really frustrating about subscribing to Spotify or another streaming service is the unpredictability that comes with not knowing if you can listen to a song again."

That’s one of the hazards of relying on streaming music. Another is depth of catalog. In a traditional style of music like this, a streaming service may not include some of the more obscure music that should be a foundation when learning.

That’s why my fiddler S.O. and I prefer a "local" home digital music reference library. It started with ripping our mutual CD collection bought over the years. I still buy a few CD’s every year, but mostly I add to the collection buying MP3s from Amazon. On our home network media server we currently have 531 albums in the Irish/Scottish and related category, with a total of 5,439 individual MP3 files. This kind of local collection never changes except through addition, and it can be quickly searched, unlike our old LP and CD collections. I can always go back to a reference recording, or compare different versions by different artists.

For example, I just called up a search in the playback program Foobar2000 on the word "pigeon," looking for versions of Pigeon on the Gate. It retrieved versions of that tune by the following artists on our server:

Altan, Brendan McGlinchey, Buddy MacMaster, Four Men and a Dog, Jim McKillop & Mary Mulholland, Judith Davidson, Kevin Burke, Liz Carroll, Martin Hayes, Matt Molloy, Michael Coleman, Noel Hill, Paddy Canny, Paul McNevin, Portland Books, Pub Scouts, Roger Sherlock.

That’s a lot of pigeons. Some are solid references for playing the tune, others are just interesting variations or for historical interest like Coleman. We have them all locally for study and practice without having to rely on a streaming service. I just have to fire up Foobar2000 on my phone to listen in the music practice room at home.

There are downsides to this approach, of course. One is cost. I don’t know how much we’ve spent over the last 20 years or so buying most of this collection on CD and Amazon MP3s. Some of it was free from various archival sources, but probably just 5% or so. On the other hand, we didn’t buy it all at once. It’s years of collecting to get that many albums. It does take some effort to make sure all the files have the right metadata for indexing. The other drawback is you need some computer and network savvy to make sure the collection is backed up against drive failure, and you know how to stream it on a local network, or serve it remotely over the Internet in a protected format. But it works for us.

@Conical Bore, I think that your approach is very smart because you’ll always have these files, and although I can see the downsides to it, it seems like 20 years worth of music (I’m only 22!) has already built you a very solid foundation of tunes.
And I agree about perfectly great but rare albums not being available. I also really enjoy bird cds (I know, completely different genre!) and my dad was fortunate enough to find a Web site from the Netherlands which sold them, and we were fortunate to order quite a few before the service shut down. Almost none of that material is available digitally (unless you convert to mp3’s which we did), and so people who rely on digital music have a greater chance of missing out on these.

I’m hopelessly addicted to new sounds. I have a library of around 3K cds - jazz and art music. Yet I’m forever seeking the radio dial for new noise (college town - blessed with lots of avant music on the dial).

I learn tunes off youtube. Unfortunately, at some point I’ll no longer have access to these recordings, at which time I’ll have to work solely from memory. The advantage, however, is picking up tunes spontaneously - no matter the idiom.

Posted by .

I like listening (the videos are on YouTube) to the BBC young trad. Super musicians, although sometimes a little too jazzy for my taste.
I love Celtic fiddle festival as well.
I also like the transatlantic sessions.

Clare FM - the West Wind on their listen back section (replay)
Lovely mix of whats new and not so new.

I enjoy playing more than listening, nowadays.

When I do listen it’s Highland piping, and Baroque music.

Most of the ITM bands I hear don’t interest me much.

I agree with bogman about the evils of Spotify. The situation is quite dire re: musicians earning a living from music at the moment. Especially from recorded music. I’m struggling to explain to my children why stealing mp3s or just ripping the tunes they like from YouTube is wrong but they just don’t get it.

I like listening to alot of ITM and Bluegrass artists… My favorite ITM band has to be Lunasa!

As for bluegrass tunes, I’m a huge Andy Hall fan. Maybe one day I shall also play the slide guitar before I become an old man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFodfLLoCnQ