Does anyone have a name for this tune?

Re: Does anyone have a name for this tune?

I have no idea if this link will work for people without gmail.

Link works for me - course, I do have gmail. Don’t know the tune, though … !

No gmail here but it works. No idea except it sounds Scottish.

Brings to mind someone singing canterach (sorry about the English spelling), But that may be not much advance on “sounds Scottish”.

‘It sounds Scottish.’

Yeah, I got that far. :)

It sounds familiar……. Not much of an advance but that’s a promising sign. It’s very likely that someone here will know it.
:-)

Yeah, I’m sure I’ve heard and it and could probably busk it, but I’m hopeless at names of Scottish marches.

If I figure out which tune it is and its links to somewhere in the Highlands, I might win a bottle of whisky.

I found what it reminded me of. It’s not it. Is that a goose?

Well done, Calum. A lovely spot, Dornie. Hope you get to share some of that whisky!

Ha. The track it remined me of was a strathspey (on goose) but I chickened out of suggesting it wasn’t a march.

Ha-ha, and I thought the initials on the website were RSPB - Royal Society for Protection of Birds, but I see it’s RSPBA - Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association.

Thanks, guys! I’ve put my guess in. If I’ve gotten it correct and done so before anyone else, a bottle of really cheap whisky will be mine.

The thing is, whisky can be really cheap, but is it ever all bad?

Hi Dr. Spear - I’ve just compared it with the sheet music in "The Cairngorm Collection", and it is definitely "Dornie Ferry". The tune has 4 parts, not just 2, but maybe the recording got cut short.
By my reckoning, Calum would be owed half of that bottle :)
"whisky ever all bad ?" Myself and 2 other Scottish flute players were at the Ballyvourney "Cruinniu" 2 years ago, and the bar at "The Mills" were selling an Irish whiskey called "Pogues". We were curious, bought a dram each, took a sip, one other to confirm it was so bad, and then all 3 of us left it alone. A whisky / whiskey has to be really bad for 3 Scotsmen not to drink it. So the answer to your question is undoubtedly "yes".

Posted by .

> Calum would be owed half of that bottle

Ach, I’ll settle for a dram.

On bad whisky, I’ve sampled the stuff that’s come straight out the still - there’s stuff that comes out too soon, and stuff that comes out too late, and stuff that comes out in the middle, and it’s all like windscreen wiper fluid with a kick!

Posted by .

To Kenny and Calum, I tip my hat to gentlemen of greater courage than I, and sip my Talisker…

No, but if you play it backwards it sounds like someone is saying "Paul is dead". (I crack myself up sometimes)

I owe Calum some of the finest whisky the Green Welly Stop in Tyndrum has to offer (and not the whisky shop side of it). I got the location correct and beat everyone else to the punch.