WTF! is This

WTF! is This

Just come across this on Youtube, Micho Russell is playing the flute and doing a fine job with Craigs Pipes but is is the guy accompanying on the tambourine/bodhran, for the love of god how did this track get released. The must be the worst case of bodhran accompaniment I ever heard and believe me you have to hear this. The 1976 LP Irish Folk Festival has the excellent De Danann concert with Andy Irvine on vocals, a great version of the Plains of Kildare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG-uf111nJ8&feature=youtu.be&autoplay=1

Re: WTF! is This

It’s bad, but I’ve heard worse at sessions! I notice Micho only played it through a couple of times, must have realized he was fighting a losing battle against the drum.

My guess is the indiscriminate thumper had prevailed upon Micho’s good nature to be afforded an appearance on stage with him. I hope he wasn’t there for the whole gig.

Oh dear.
That’s awful.
Couldn’t even listen to the whole clip.

Subtle it is not. Is he playing a taiko drum? ;)

I see that Ted Furey was one of the musicians on that tour. I don’t have that IFF recording, but I would be willing to take a guess that the bodhran is being played by Brendan Byrne - see here :
https://thesession.org/recordings/1009
The style is similar on both recordings. I’ll say no more.
Hope all well with you, Niall. A’ the best, Kenny.

Posted by .

Sounds like a tambourine to me.

Is that the guy the Corries learnt from (or vice versa)?

Posted by .

I just played a few tracks off the Ted Furey/Brendan Byrne [above, courtesy of Kenny] thats 5 minutes of my life I’ll never get back……………..

I remember seeing those tambourine type bodhrans when I was a child (‘70’s). Back then the bodhran was played without any variation in tone and with little sophistication! I’m speculating wildly but based on my own memories of growing up in a small town, its possible that the bodhran player on the recording might have been an elderly neighbour or friend who was at every session, dance and party ever held in the community-part of the furniture if you like, so nobody was going to tell him (or her) to be quiet and risk major, lasting upset!

Posted by .

if anyone has that old Leader lp from the 70’s,’Music from the Coleman Country ’ one Tommy Toolan is credited as playing ‘tambourine’ on it - the sound lacks the technique of modern bodhran playing but actually sounds pretty good - and in time!

Snobs. Begrudgers. You should have been there.

Did you not hear calls for "More, More…." at the end?

It was David !! David Levine was playing the jangly bodhran!! 🙂 🙂

It sounded like the bod player was trying to work out the rhythm before he actually started playing. There are a few random whacks, and false starts, then he launches in proper when he’s hooked in the beat.

I smiled a lot when I heard it - it’s a bit like one of those huge Morris sessions where the players are so spread out, and nobody can hear what’s really going on, least of all the bodhran player, because he’s too loud anyway. I think bod man here might need a calendar to help him keep time 🙂

Cracking playing from Micho, mind you. It’s a shame he didn’t do the whole tune, solo.

"Did you not hear calls for "More, More…." at the end?" Those calls were for Micho.

Posted by .

Calls for "More, More…." at the end

Yes, ‘Twas I.
You get an old bunch of those old guys in a pub and it’s all about fun.
They call it "spending a pleasant hour." What could be better?
Those calls were from Micho.

What Pi said….
Lifetimes of neighborly accommodations and tolerance trump artistic integrity.

Pat

I like the player with Cooley! Nice recording.
The player with Micho, well… people seemed to be having fun.

Now I know what some bodhrán owners listen to for inspiration…

If clapping is a guide, they sure were happy when it was over!