Printing full sheet music

Printing full sheet music

I have a question based on the following background information.
My wife plays piano using sheet music with bass and treble clefts (played music in church on piano and organ). She had half a year of piano lessons and was forced to self learn more to play for church (small churches with no individuals with music educations.)

We have recently discovered Celtic, Irish, and old timey music.

I have a bunch of abc notation files (Irish, Celtic, old time etc)which include chord names that will print above the melody line on treble clefts. I got these files for use with my fiddle before I met my wife.

Does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive software that can read ABC notation and generate treble cleft with melody and bass cleft and appropriate notes from chord names imbedded in the ABC file.

Re: Printing full sheet music

there are a lot of tune books out on the web, many with chords - these are usually just the melody line though - not sure what to tell you for a full piano score set up —

One of the best:
Kingston Irish Tunebook
https://www.harpoftara.com/music.html

Posted by .

Ted:

Thank you for the additional music location.

«Does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive software that can read ABC notation and generate treble cleft with melody and bass cleft and appropriate notes from chord names imbedded in the ABC file.»

The danger of any such software, if it exists, would be that it might just give you the notes that make up the chords in standard positions, which are not necessarily easy to use when backing up.

Now I’m not a piano player but my son is a good trad backup player and I have attended a couple of workshops given by his teacher, a top-notch piano accompanist with a solid classical and theoretical background.

The trick to playing backup piano is using chord inversions on the right hand to save the amount of movements you have to make. As a very brief illustration, if you’re accompanying a tune in D, and wanting to use the chords of D, G and A, you might voice

the D chord as ADF# (V - I - III)
the A chord as AC#E (I - III - V)
the G chord as BDG (III - V - I)

Changing between these voicings requires very small movements of the fingers. Whereas if you tried to play the standard I-III-V voicing every time your whole hand would be doing a lot more jumping around.

I think your wife would be better advised to learn the notes that make up the common major and minor chords used in trad (there aren’t that many of them, at a basic level anyway) and to play around with inversions. She’ll find that combinations of chords used in just about every tune can be voiced in ways that keeps the amount of movement required minimal.

Or go to a good teacher (of trad backup) either privately or at a summer school. Of course this means being ready to wean herself away from sheet music, but I think that ought to be easier for an accompanist than a melody player!

Online, there are probably some good YouTube videos to get her started. Or perhaps a course of lessons from the Online Academy of Irish Music at https://www.oaim.ie

Posted by .

What your wife needs is two things: to learn to read lead sheets (the common name for what you have), and two, how to accompany traditional music on the piano. For the first, it sounds like a grounding in theory might help - Kostka’s Tonal Harmony is very good, and the older editions can be picked up cheaply. For the second it sounds like the OAIM might be a good starting place. There’s also a book, Interview With A Vamper, by Peter Barnes, which is useful.

I would discourage you from pursuing the aim of producing fully realised arrangements for her to play from, for numerous reasons.

Posted by .

"We have recently discovered Celtic, Irish, and old timey music."
Full stop. Take a breath. I am only going to repond to the bit about Irish music with an example from
Cape Breton music because you are asking about piano accompaniment.

Before you collect, convert or share any notation with your partner I emphatically encourage you to listen to some players who are familiar with traditional music, the rhythms & particularly piano accompaniment.

Listen to the following clip. If your partner wants some sheet music for the first tune (Baltimore Salute)
there is a member on the session.org who has a full arrangement transcribed.
https://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltaslive_258_6_catriona_cullivan

Here is a tutorial of another tune on O.A.I.M. ("Hole in the Hedge")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-6h2KMCVw

To answer your question about converting the abcs you have to piano scores it’s not hard to do but it’s probably a terrible idea. Before you go there I suggest showing this link to your piano playing friend;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9kzlmksskj7uor/Kimberley%20Fraser%20-%20Cape%20Breton%20Piano%20Rhythm%20-%20Jigs%20%26%20Reels.pdf?dl=0

It’s not Irish but it is one of the best examples I know of for piano accompaniment with trad tunes.

Posted by .

This seems to be a second thread on the same subject? I had just typed an answer on the other thread, but I’ll now copy it over here. It tallies pretty much with what Stiamh said. And yes, if you can find a course which concentrates on this style of playing, it will be great help: I went to "Blazin’ in Beauly" - a week’s course run by Blazin’ Fiddles for 3 years in a row, being taught by the keyboard players from the band. The "move one finger to change chords" trick is paramount! Of course, you do need to know your chords, what notes are in them.
So here’s what I said on the other thread:
As a piano player myself brought up on having music written out for both hands, in the last few years I have got used to playing from just melody and chords: I just make up the left hand as I go along, from the given chords, and fill in the right hand a bit too if playing melody, tho sometimes when there are lots of other melody instruments, I’ll just be playing bass and chords. It’s both a challenge and fun to do, but gets easier the more you do it. It works well for the genres of music you have listed. Perhaps your wife could try it?

//Does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive software that can read ABC notation and generate treble cleft with melody and bass cleft and appropriate notes from chord names imbedded in the ABC file.//

Answering the OP, Harmony Assistant can parse .abc files and easily render them to standard notation.

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm

Jim Dorans: Thanks for answering the question asked . I kept scrolling just to see if anyone would ever answer the guy. Others can benefit from this dangerous knowledge as well.

Posted by .

My ABC Editor can do this, though it generates ALL the notes of the chord so I either have to pick out the ones I want, or edit the others out of the regenerated ABC file.

It is called BarFly - but unfortunately it requires a Mac computer with the old IBM PPC processor so is incompatible with the latest Macs. I actually obtained it through this site and still use it as my Mac G4 (purchased in 2002) is still in working order!

If you wife is REALLY desperate, you could send me the file with the chords added and I could convert it for you.