If you were going to donate a sizeable collection of instruments suitable for trad, what institution would you suggest?

If you were going to donate a sizeable collection of instruments suitable for trad, what institution would you suggest?

Suggestions anyone? Left side of the pond (USA) first please.

Re: If you were going to donate a sizeable collection of instruments suitable for trad, what institution would you suggest?

Do you have a Comhaltas branch nearby? Most Comhaltas branches have instruments available to loan/rent to beginner students to keep the cost of learning down. I’m sure that many secondary schools might appreciate an instrument collection for a music room/program.

Suggestion for contact:
Four Peaks Irish Arts Group
3165 S. Alma School Road, #29-146, Chandler, Arizona 85248.
+ 1 602 635 9760

Re: If you were going to donate a sizeable collection of instruments suitable for trad, what institution would you suggest?

Hello, my name is Ryan and I am writing you from Galway Ireland. I run volunteer trad sessions here for beginner musicians, (no experience at all necessary to come in and be welcomed and get started), who eventually from into intermediates and then progress on to playing in actual sessions eventually.
I am Very much looking for instruments to have on hand for beginners and learners to avail of. I have no budget however as this is all completely volunteer on all our behalf’s.
If you want to know I am genuine feel free to join our FBook page at Galway Slow Trad Sessions and/or our Twitter feed @slowsession.
I can likely raise/scrape up the cost of posting the instruments if you would be willing to donate them to the learners in our sessions. I can assure you they will be put to immediate and good use! We will be more than happy to send you videos of us issuing them to teach and guide musicians as they learn etc..
Please let me know if you have any questions for me etc. as, on behalf of our current and future learners I am Very interested in talking to you.
Sincerely,
Ryan Crowell
Feel free to contact me via my email- Ryan.Crowell@gmail.com, or on Facebook etc..

Thanks in advance for any time and consideration you might give this request.

I would donate to the Center for Irish Music in St. Paul. They are building an inventory of ITM instruments that they can inexpensively rent to learners at the school. http://www.centerforirishmusic.org/ . If you have a lot of instruments then I would consider spreading the donation around.

Spreading them around is a good suggestion. Thank you.

I think the answer depends on how you want the instruments to be used. If you want them to be preserved, an Irish cultural museum (New Orleans has one, for example) might be the solution. That would give you a tax write off if you value such a thing.

If you go the museum route and the museum does not already have a musical instrument collection, it might help them to contact someone who might be able to secure complementary funds to properly preserve the instruments.

Someone like Mick Moloney (has his own website) might be a good advisor, or Dr. Becky Miller, an ethnomusicologist and Dean of humanities at Hampshire College in Amherst, MA. I worked with her briefly at the Irish Arts Center in NYC in the 1980s. Mick and Becky are both knowledgeable and well connected.